Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Feb 23, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #4,817 of 4,841
Mar 2, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #4,819 of 4,841
Hello, do any CIEM manufacturers besides Custom Art and M-Fidelity offer the option to have acrylic shells filled with silicone? A friend has a pair of Custom Art CIEMs with this and has raved about them (best of both worlds). Thanks.

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #4,820 of 4,841
Nope, sorry. I was looking for that too but it doesn't exist. My ACS Encore were remold by Custom Art in acrylic + silicon and that's absolutely perfect, the best of both world like you say.

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #4,823 of 4,841
  Hello, do any CIEM manufacturers besides Custom Art and M-Fidelity offer the option to have acrylic shells filled with silicone? A friend has a pair of Custom Art CIEMs with this and has raved about them (best of both worlds). Thanks.

Nope, sorry. I was looking for that too but it doesn't exist. My ACS Encore were remold by Custom Art in acrylic + silicon and that's absolutely perfect, the best of both world like you say.

I see the benefit of having silicone shells for sealing purposes, but are you talking about an acrylic shell filled with silicone?  I know Westone used to have an acrylic shell with a silicone canal, but what would be the benefit otherwise?  Thanks!

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #4,825 of 4,841
I see the benefit of having silicone shells for sealing purposes, but are you talking about an acrylic shell filled with silicone?  I know Westone used to have an acrylic shell with a silicone canal, but what would be the benefit otherwise?  Thanks!

Westone has a soft canal but it is not silicone like most people seem to think it is

Mar 3, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #4,826 of 4,841

What advantages are there to this?

Mar 4, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #4,827 of 4,841

The first benefit is if you prefer the acrylic fit than the silicon one and that's my case. As silicon doesn't have the same effect on sound than acrylic, it's a way to keep the silicon acoustic properties with an acrylic shell. The second benefit is the durability of that combination: a full silicon hard shell is very solid and prevents moistures better than silicon alone. 

Yes, it's not advertised

Sorry, indeed I read it in a review and forget it -> http://theheadphonelist.com/perfect-seal-ar6/

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #4,828 of 4,841

What advantages are there to this?

Sorry for not replying sooner. I wanted to speak to my friend first. So he said the first advantage of the acrylic shell filled with silicone is isolation. He owns several CIEMs and IEMs and he tested the isolation of some of them on the Tokyo subway. He said in terms of isolation (best to worse) it is: Etymotic with foam tips > acrylic CIEM filled with silicone > silicone CIEM > acrylic CIEM.

He also said the acrylic CIEM filled with silicone is more resistant to impact damage. He is quite clumsy and said this is based on his dropping CIEMs. The silicone filling in the acrylic apparently helps to protect the drivers.

Oct 5, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #4,830 of 4,841
My first pair of DIY ears, I filled the shells with resin and cured it. Granted, you can only do that with sealed drivers, and it makes repairs difficult at best.
DIY ears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back