Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
May 8, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #2,791 of 4,841
Quote:

Joe did a comparison of the full Rooth lineup (with demos) here, as did I, here. The only reason for the retention of the model number is that the LS8+ is a revision of the LS8, but almost everything is different. Even the designers are different. The LS8+ actually has more in common, driver-wise, with the LS-X5.

Thanks, I just read through both of the links.

May 8, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #2,792 of 4,841
If you haven't seen it yet, there is a new CIEM company in Poland, Custom Art.  You can read more here.

Quote:
I'll will try :)

Thanks.  I understand if it can't be done 
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
I didn't notice that there was a distinction between acrylic and solid acrylic. But I see now, after going through your CIEM info section again. I'll probably try to keep them in a hard clam shell case.

I just read your LS8 review and that might be the thing I'm looking for. Though purchasing a CIEM without hearing it first is kind scary. Are there any companies that attend head-fi meets or audio conventions other than UE and JH?

I also noticed that there's a LS8 and then there's a LS8+.This is what I found on Rooth's website:

LS8+: 3-Way crossover : Quad Low, Dual Mid, Dual High (3 Bore) 
LS8: 4-Way crossover : Dual Low, Dual Mid, Dual High ,Dual Super Hight (Dual Bore)

Seems strange how they would keep the model number, even though the driver configuration is significantly different. Have you done any comparisons between the two?

Thank you for your answer and sharing links tomscy2000. 

As far as acrylic shells, there is also an acrylic shell with a silicone fill, and some acrylic shells are thicker than others.  

I agree with rawrster, keep them in a case for max protection and to avoid any possible oops moments.  Some cases you may want to consider is a metal UE case that was used for the TF10, or a similar case made by Dunu.  They are much smaller than the standard Otterbox type case yet still offer excellent protection.

Quote:
Thanks, I just read through both of the links.

Let us know if you have any questions.

May 9, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #2,794 of 4,841
Quote:
@Joe:y wife read Joker's review on the se3 and she has no clue what he is talking about
smily_headphones1.gif
the audiophile vocabulary is obviously not so universal
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the effort, and I do understand.  

May 9, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #2,795 of 4,841
I got billed for my UE Reference Monitors yesterday. I forgot about tax but still worth it over the regular price.

I've never really had one of the more expensive customs and only have the entry level one so hopefully the UERM is around what I'm looking for.  of course I also then saw the v6 from 1964 Ears so might be getting that afterwards too lol

May 9, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #2,796 of 4,841
Thanks for the effort, and I do understand.  

When my gf was looking for a new set, I tried to make her read a review and ended up having to translate it into more common terms. More trouble than it as worth.

I know what she looks for now and we're both happy to skip that step lol.

May 9, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #2,797 of 4,841
Quote:
I got billed for my UE Reference Monitors yesterday. I forgot about tax but still worth it over the regular price.

I've never really had one of the more expensive customs and only have the entry level one so hopefully the UERM is around what I'm looking for.  of course I also then saw the v6 from 1964 Ears so might be getting that afterwards too lol

I got hit by the tax too. But still, I think it was worth it to go for the UERM.

May 10, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #2,798 of 4,841
Quote:

Sales tax?

Quote:
When my gf was looking for a new set, I tried to make her read a review and ended up having to translate it into more common terms. More trouble than it as worth.

I know what she looks for now and we're both happy to skip that step lol.

Funny how those things work.

May 11, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #2,802 of 4,841
I see that TWFK is mentioned a few times in regards to comparisons, but what are they exactly? A quick search on google shows that they are dual BA drivers. So are these drivers used often, and do they produce a particular sound signature?

May 11, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #2,803 of 4,841
Quote:
  So are these drivers used often

Very often.

Quote:
thegunner100 said:
   do they produce a particular sound signature?

Yes and no. TWFK is a family of drivers, with different coil impedances, internal damping, integrated passive components, etc. They all have similar mechanical resonances, but that's it; they can produce very different sound signatures, especially when implemented with other BA drivers. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

May 11, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #2,804 of 4,841
Quote:
Nice ! Very confusing name P2+1 when I already have the 1plus2
smily_headphones1.gif

Think Pro 2 bass drivers + 1 high driver!  The 1plus2 is the opposite (and the bass driver is dynamic, as I know you already know 
wink.gif
).  Makes perfect sense to me!

Quote:

I prefer it when a company uses a name as opposed to a number.  i.e. I prefer 'Miracle' to 'p2+1'.  Were I a mathematician I'd probably think otherwise.

Both have their merits.  Maybe the Miracle 2+2+2 would satisfy both types of people?

Quote:

Very often.

Yes and no. TWFK is a family of drivers, with different coil impedances, internal damping, integrated passive components, etc. They all have similar mechanical resonances, but that's it; they can produce very different sound signatures, especially when implemented with other BA drivers. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

@thegunner100:  The resident expert has answered and is one of the most knowledgable on head-fi about individual drivers.

@tomscy2000: Thank you very much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back