Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Oct 20, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #317 of 3,070

Quote:
I get 10+ hours on low gain/high current with the 520 mAh rechargeable (linked in Woody's post above), but only 4-5 hours with my 9.6V 230 mAh battery and 3-4 with my 200 mAh battery I got from Fry's electronics.  I also have a 600 mAh rechargeable that lasts probably 12+ hours, but is a little lower voltage.  The difference between the 520 and 600 mAh batteries is a minor move of the volume knob and a little time!

I could  live with 10+ hours with the  low gain/high current setting for portable use. A lot better than 3 hours for sure. Thanks for the info Joe.

I'd still like to plug it in when at home though and possibly squeeze an ounce of sonic improvement out of it if that was possible. I just don't know what specifically to buy.

Oct 20, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #318 of 3,070
Did you see the short discussion about TTVJ millett hybrid vs Stepdance on page 18 of this thread?  Also, I should be ordering a Stepdance in December and will be able to offer a head-to-head comparison at that point.  My only concern is that the Stepdance won't sound "liquid" enough for me.  But I usually enjoy high quality solid state sound when it is well rendered, with appropriate weight in the mids.  So far, all signs point to good mid presentation in Stepdance. 
About the power drain issue, I'm planning on getting a power cord before the unit even arrives.  I have outlets handy at work and at home, so the need for "on the go" power will be minimized.
It is a shame that it isn't easier to hear and compare all these amps ourselves in person...without spending a million dollars to do it.  But I'll contribute my detailed observations in December.

Oct 20, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #319 of 3,070
I use the iPower 520 mAh batteries found:
iPower PRO 9V Battery Rechargeable Lithium Polymer Battery IP9V520 520mAh

For DIY power supplies, these designs are sound (no pun intended).
http://www.amb.org/audio/sigma11/
http://www.amb.org/audio/sigma22/

Lorentz,
You might try a large capacitor connecting the + and - going to the amp.  This could be done near the voltage source or the amp.  That should help a lot.  If it's not enough you could try a passive pi-filter:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor-input_filter.  Beyond that you're looking at voltage regulated supplies of varying degrees of complexity: the simplest is a step-down transformer --> bridge rectifier --> 7812 or LM317 Voltage regulator --> pi-filter.  PM me if you have further questions.

Oct 20, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #320 of 3,070
Hi Folks.  After the debacle with the counterfeit Monster Coppers, and the exorbitant prices for the ATH-CK10's I've seen here, I decided instead to invest in a StepDance instead.  Sounds great!  Better than my HeadSix.

However, during my affair with my HeadSix, I built my own power supply to obviate the need for purchasing large quantities of lil’ 9v block batteries.  I'm very pleased to know that my StepDance will accept the same pigtail as my HeadSix.

This is where my problem is.  I have searched high and low on the Internet for the proper 9-12VDC pigtail to hook up to my PS, to power the HeadSix.  The same problem exists with my new StepDance.

Can someone point me to a good source for this 1.3/3.5 MM (B+ center) VDC connector?

Steve

Oct 22, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #321 of 3,070
Could someone please tell a bit about the driving capabilities of this amp? I might also want to use this portable amp as an amp for a CD player, but then it must be capable of driving, for instance, the Sennheiser HD650, thank you.

Oct 24, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #323 of 3,070
Quote:
http://www.musicdirect.com/product/83276

Would this work as a power supply. It's 9 volt D.C

The power supply looks excellent. 9 volt DC regulated is all appropriate. However the big question is whether the included DC output cable will be exactly the right one to fit the Stepdance. (Not likely on the odds...) I also cannot tell from the link whether there wil be any flexibility then in using another output cable that would fit.

Oct 24, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #324 of 3,070

Quote:
The power supply looks excellent. 9 volt DC regulated is all appropriate. However the big question is whether the included DC output cable will be exactly the right one to fit the Stepdance. (Not likely on the odds...) I also cannot tell from the link whether there wil be any flexibility then in using another output cable that would fit.

Yes this could be a problem but nothing that a little cable splicing would not put right..

Oct 24, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #325 of 3,070
This unit from KECES should work well also, and has 12V and 15V DC outputs.

http://www.acoustic-fun.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=82&osCsid=3a740050667bc5278d7139e2d8ab8b04

--Eric

Oct 24, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #326 of 3,070

Quote:
This unit from KECES should work well also, and has 12V and 15V DC outputs.

http://www.acoustic-fun.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=82&osCsid=3a740050667bc5278d7139e2d8ab8b04

--Eric

Yes! I like this even better than the CIA power supply. Should be perfect to turn the Stepdance into a nice permanent desktop amp for my Ety's, the only problem is as "CooperPWC" pointed out is getting the right cable to hook up to the amp.

Oct 24, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #327 of 3,070
@ violetta88 and Andrew3199: The KECES DC-115 looks very good. They say "as long as your equipments takes 12V or 15V DC, it can be used with DC-115", so I expect that that it does accomodate different power tips. It would be nice if they were a little more explicit on this point though.

I will be in Mongkok next Saturday visiting a shop which is devoted to power supplies. Hopefully I will find something appropriate that isn`t too heavy to carry back on an airplane... 

Oct 26, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #328 of 3,070
The StepDance definitely pairs well with the Denon D2000.  Reggae and Hip-Hop come through with astonishing clarity.  I think I've never heard the highs rendered so cleanly and powerfully before.  And it manages to render many different instruments with varying frequency ranges while maintaining clear separation and image.  The dual mandolins of "Carpathian Mountain Breakdown" by Chris Thile and Mike Marshall are (amazing? unbelievable?) so perfectly rounded off where they need to be.  The analog synth of "Random (Demo Outtake)" on Gary Numan's "The Pleasure Principle" is unreal.  The panning and mixing are rendered so as to make a real stage.

It also seems to fare well with the Beyer DT880/600, although my results here are only preliminary.

My line out of my iMod gives a minimum amp output level that is comfortable with all of my IEMs.  The uDAC2 and HDP lines out are also comfortable, although I probably wouldn't use max volume on the HDP into the se530.  So far it is best with the SM3, but again, that is a preliminary result.

Oct 26, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #329 of 3,070

Quote:
Here is a 12V regulated power supply, but not sure how the common person will get the correct plug on it.  I replaced the plug on my regulated 12V power supply.  I have not seen a 15V regulated power supply; if anyone knows where you can buy one, please let us know.

I use Elpac Model FWC3015F power supply to power my Portaphile portable amp as desktop. It is 15V regulated power supply and it works through 100 - 240V AC input. It works beautifully for my maxxed out Portaphile. As you all know this little portable amp is power hungry. Perhaps, it will work well with STEPDANCE amp.

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #330 of 3,070
Anybody tried using the Ibasso D4 Line-out into the Stepdance? Dual Wolfson DACs feeding the stepdance is intriguing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back