Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Oct 30, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #346 of 3,070
I'm getting similar listening times with Powerex 300mAh 8.4v NiMH rechargeable batteries to that of a Duracell Plus 9v Alkaline battery, so I'm happy. I was tempted by the ipower Lithium Polymer 520mAh battery, but they're about £20 each vs. £9 each for the Powerex. For £18 I get 600mAh (although that involves carrying an extra battery of course) so in a sense I felt the powerex batteries represented better value for money.

@mcmalden
I'm using my Stepdance to power the HD 650 while my OTL Tube amp is being repaired (Little Dot MK IV SE). I think the Stepdance does an admirable job. In terms of detail retrieval and bass impact, etc., I would say the sound is comparable to using my UM3X with the Stepdance, so this suggests the Stepdance drives the HD 650 well. With the HD 650 I get the added benefit of more 'space' in the music (bigger sound stage, 'airier' sound, etc.) thanks to their open design over the IEMs. I didn't get to spend much time with the HD 650 and my tube amp (which wasn't burnt in), so this can't be treated as entirely accurate, but I recall the Stepdance held up well against it. The main difference being a solid state sound vs the touch of gold offered by tubes - bass might have been more present on the tube amp also.

Oct 30, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #348 of 3,070
Quote:
Can you give me the address for the AV2000? Is it in Mok Kok?

Tak Fat shopping centre in Mongkok Hong Kong. 6E Nelson Street.

There were lots of regulated power supplies in Sham Shui Po but mostly switching. The only one that appeared to be linear was the huge type with dials and LCD displays, much as pictured on this thread before. It was less than $100 which was a great price but it is just too large and heavy to carry back to Shanghai this trip. I am passing for now.

Oct 30, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #349 of 3,070

Quote:
I'm getting similar listening times with Powerex 300mAh 8.4v NiMH rechargeable batteries to that of a Duracell Plus 9v Alkaline battery, so I'm happy. I was tempted by the ipower Lithium Polymer 520mAh battery, but they're about £20 each vs. £9 each for the Powerex. For £18 I get 600mAh (although that involves carrying an extra battery of course) so in a sense I felt the powerex batteries represented better value for money.

How long does the powerex last in the stepdance? I am not familiar with the length of time the Duracell's last!

Oct 30, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #351 of 3,070

Quote:
I've haven't timed how much listening I get out of them, but I would say I get between 6-8 hours from each battery on low gain.

Thanks for that, so probably half that on high gain. I wonder how that compares to the lithium ipower ones?

Oct 30, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #352 of 3,070

Can you give me the address for the AV2000? Is it in Mok Kok?

Thanks, I was just in HK two weeks ago. I'll make sure to make a stop in Tak Fat next trip. Do they let you audition the Stepdance? Do you remember which store has it? Thanks again.

Oct 30, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #353 of 3,070
Quote:
Thanks, I was just in HK two weeks ago. I'll make sure to make a stop in Tak Fat next trip. Do they let you audition the Stepdance? Do you remember which store has it? Thanks again.

As I said: AV2000. Just inside on the right. I am sure that they would let you listen to it. I didn't since I own it.

Nov 1, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #354 of 3,070
I don't think I have ever wanted someone to come back from their holidays so much (though I am sure you have earned the rest Jan!) Money's in my paypal account ready to transfer to Jan's. Just waiting for Jan to get back on the 7th. I can't wait to hear what this amp sounds like!

Folks who own it how about an update on how your enjoying it to tide me over till I get mine!

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #355 of 3,070
hi guys,

I'm going to get a portable amp. I was almost getting iqube yday, but suddenly saw stepdance here.
anyone here able to tel me iqube or stepdance is bette(take away d price issue)r?

Note: I only use portable amp for IEM

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #356 of 3,070
I officially join the Stepdance club this afternoon! Hooray!

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #357 of 3,070

I can't wait to hear your thoughts! Can't wait till Jan get's back and mine ships! Till then I will live vicariously through your thoughts!

I was just thinking, would my nuforce icon mobile work as a dac attached to my computer then fed into the stepdance to my headphones? Sorry if this seems a stupid question, I am very technically challenged!

Nov 3, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #359 of 3,070

Quote:

Yay! your gonna love it
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #360 of 3,070

Quote:
I can't wait to hear your thoughts! Can't wait till Jan get's back and mine ships! Till then I will live vicariously through your thoughts!

I was just thinking, would my nuforce icon mobile work as a dac attached to my computer then fed into the stepdance to my headphones? Sorry if this seems a stupid question, I am very technically challenged!

You can do that, but it would be better to use a DAC with a line out, like Nuforce uDAC-2.  Otherwise the Icon Mobile will color the sound that you'll get from the Stepdance, and you're amping the signal twice for more distortion or noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back