Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Nov 6, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #376 of 3,070

Sorry again for the multiple posts folks, I think I am having a senior moment! Mod's please feel free to delete the post from me with nothing in them!

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #377 of 3,070

I wouldn't judge the SQ after 30 hours. The Stepdance requires a solid 100 hours to get into the zone in my experience. After 200 hours, it is pretty much settled.

Not sure about this, as a buddy of mine has his Stepdance burnt in for more than 200hrs (burnt a lot of alkaline batteries as well), but the bass impact, soundstage and clarity is not comparable to a burnt in protector.

Perhaps both of our ears are tuned to prefer RSA sound signature.

Or perhaps the expectation is too high for this high power consumption amp, that both of us expect it to be closer to a Lisa III.

Have you heard and compared your Stepdance with other amps such as Lisa III, protector and other top amps?

This comes back to personal preference again I guess, and no reviews will be as accurate as your own hearing (to own taste).

Cheers,
Mark

Nov 6, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #378 of 3,070
I'm trying to decide if I want to get this as my very first amp for my UE11Pros!  Is it a lot better than the headsix? 

Nov 6, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #379 of 3,070
I have a Stepdance for sale on the classified it is the best portable I have heard but I must sell to fund the purchase of the Hifiman HE-6 headphones I'm also throwing in 2 new Powerex 9.6 volt batteries and a charger.

Nov 6, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #380 of 3,070
Quote:
Not sure about this, as a buddy of mine has his Stepdance burnt in for more than 200hrs (burnt a lot of alkaline batteries as well), but the bass impact, soundstage and clarity is not comparable to a burnt in protector.

Perhaps both of our ears are tuned to prefer RSA sound signature.

Or perhaps the expectation is too high for this high power consumption amp, that both of us expect it to be closer to a Lisa III.

Have you heard and compared your Stepdance with other amps such as Lisa III, protector and other top amps?

This comes back to personal preference again I guess, and no reviews will be as accurate as your own hearing (to own taste).

Cheers,
Mark

The Stepdance does take at least 100 hours to burn in. Therefore one should not judge it after 30 hours. Your comment involving the unnamed friend does not refute (or even address) that. After 100+ hours, one can conclude that plugging one`s headphones into a Big Mac sounds better if one is so inclined.

Nov 6, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #381 of 3,070
Hi Cooperpwc,

Don't feel angry man. Nothing personal. I was talked into buying my Stepdance as this friend of mine bought his set in Taiwan when I couldn't find it in Singapore then. His set has gone through continuous burning (may not be a good thing) without break with alkaline batteries for nearly a month. This is my experience and whether you believe or not does not concern me at all.

I must say it is my personal preference that I prefer the burned in protector vs a burned in Stepdance. You may think otherwise, which is perfectly fine.

My comments here is just to highlight to potential buyers here to do their own audition, as all these reviews should be neutral, highlighting the advantages/disadvantages of each amps.

I have tried it, bought one and sold it, just like some other amps i owned. It is my own experience that I felt that the sound is not as perfect as expected, besides the high power consumption. You can't expect every review on Stepdance to be good as we all having different preference, isn't it?

I always believe forums are meant for users to post their experience, including bad ones. If this forum can only take good reviews, I won't post anymore here and it will be my last post here.

If you enjoy yours and feel justified for the high power consumption, congratulations for finding the perfect amp for your ears!

Peace!

Mark

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #383 of 3,070
Quote:
now im just waiting for others reviews for Stepdance+IEM.

I am using the Stepdance with IEMs - the Westone ES5 - and am very happy with the combination. It is not especially small but I like the form factor and it packs one hell of a punch for its size.

The combo of the Super iMod + Stepdance + ES5 has given me a portable/transportable system that is remarkable smooth and transparent but also weighty and full (all IMHO YMMV as always). It has satisfied my desire to carry a serious music system into any environment. I may visit a friend in Chile for a few weeks later this month and I love that this will be with me.

Batteries are cheap here in China but I will be looking a rechargeables at some point. It is environmentally friendly if nothing else.

There is one issue with very sensitive IEMs like the Westone ES5. I am one of the two people (as at Jan's post) that had asked him to adjust the low gain volume down by 6 db by exchanging a resistor. Once I am settled into listening, I am probably almost always listening at or above the original minimum. However, I did not like being forced there with some of my louder albums. I often start my listening sessions very softly then creep up a bit. Lowering the volume was a useful improvement for me. I can say happily that the altered minimum volume is never too high (and the ES5 may be the most sensitive IEM out there; in fact, both of us that asked for the change are ES5 owners.) Anyway, asking Jan for this mod may be something to consider, depending upon your IEM's (and your) sensitivity. Lowering the low gain volume does not alter the high gain setting at all for use with full-size cans.

Nov 7, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #384 of 3,070

Quote:
If you are in Singapore, there a nice shop selling protector and they have balanced cables for audition!

What the name of this shop please?

Nov 7, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #385 of 3,070

Quote:
What the name of this shop please?

I would venture a guess that he is referring to Jaben.net, which carries the Protector as well as Stepdance.

Nov 7, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #386 of 3,070

Quote:
[...] The combo of the Super iMod + Stepdance + ES5 has given me a portable/transportable system that is remarkable smooth and transparent [...]

That's a very nice setup you've got there cooperpwc! I hope to invest in a custom IEM along the lines of the ES5 at some point. I've decided to live with the unmodified lowest volume of the STEPDANCE. It would be nice to be able to reduce the volume a little more when using my UM3X, but the present volume range is workable.

Enjoy!

Nov 7, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #388 of 3,070
Hi cooperpwc, thanks for the info on the amount of hours the Stepdance needs for burn-in. I understand what you are saying and I appreciate your feedback.

Hi Mark, I understand that cooperpwc is simply asking me to be patient and give the amp time to mature [or me ears to mature
smily_headphones1.gif
]. I also hear you and agree that all manner of reviews should be allow to be articulated, whether the opinion is positive or negative. Essentially we all understand that not everyone hears things the same way.. So more reviews/impressions would be appreciate by everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi average_joe, could you give some feedback on the rechargeable batteries that you are using? I read what you said about the Hitech 9v 600mAh charging issue with the iPower charger. However if using the Hitech 9v battery with the Hitech charger, would there be a problem?

Thanks guys.

Nov 7, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #390 of 3,070
Great customer service from Jan!

Sunday afternoon here which means very late at night in Germany and he has just got back from his holiday and makes the time to send out my invoice (which was payed instantly as the money has been waiting in my PP account for this moment
smily_headphones1.gif
) Now the wait for it to arrive.. I can't wait to listen to it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back