Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Nov 4, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #361 of 3,070

Quote:
You can do that, but it would be better to use a DAC with a line out, like Nuforce uDAC-2.  Otherwise the Icon Mobile will color the sound that you'll get from the Stepdance, and you're amping the signal twice for more distortion or noise.

Great advice HA, thank you for that, I won't go that route then. I will look at the uDAC for a future purchase!

Nov 5, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #362 of 3,070
I would suggest that you locate a good audio store, put aside an hour or so to listen and do a thorough audition on both before you buy. No reviews can be better than your ears (hearing), as reading a review will not be what you will be hearing in your own preference.

Nov 5, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #363 of 3,070

Quote:
I would suggest that you locate a good audio store, put aside an hour or so to listen and do a thorough audition on both before you buy. No reviews can be better than your ears (hearing), as reading a review will not be what you will be hearing in your own preference.

I bought the stepdance last week to compare with my RSA protector, which the protector was the keeper after I bought and tried pico slim, mustang, iqube, SR71A. Sold my Lisa III with some regrets quite some time ago due to some reason, but Lisa III is still one of the best amp (put aside the weight and the RCA cables required).

The Stepdance is really nice, and to my ears, it definitely beats the other top amps that I have heard, accept my protector (and Lisa III).

This is just my ears and no wars intended. Maybe the stepdance is not fully burnt-in, but the Protector provides more detailed and more quality bass to me, and the soundstage seems wider in balanced mode. I could hear even the clear breathing sound of the vocals in some of the female audiophile songs I have in my Hifiman HM801, but not so obvious from the Stepdance. It is more laid back than the protector. Bass is alot nicer from the protector than Stepdance to my ears (again it is my preference).

So I sold my stepdance the next day, just like I sold my pico slim the following day after comparing to my protector.

I guess there's no "best" amp for everyone, and it is the "most preferred" amp to your ears - which reviews will not be accurate until your ears tell you after hearing it.

Thus, to me, the RSA Protector is the top amp to my ears comparing to stepdance (probably 2nd best), and can't compare to my previously owned Lisa III as I could not do direct audition with.

Don't trust my ears on this, as you may have your own top amp, which may end up to be pico slim (which I find it totally inaccurate from the reviews) or other amps.

Good luck in your search!

Cheers,
Mark

P/S: I am not a good source of review as I don't possess super sensitive ears. Only have owned a few top amps so far to describe my preference (Lisa III, RSA Mustang, IQube, RSA SR71A Blackbird, Pico Slim, Corda Stepdance, RSA Protector)

Thank u Mark, 
now im just waiting for others reviews for Stepdance+IEM. Almost forgot bout LIsa Mini review...hope it wil come out very soon

Nov 5, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #364 of 3,070
Very useful thoughts Mark.
Are you listening to the protector in it's balanced configuration? I ask as many of us at the moment would only be able to listen to it in non balanced mode. Do you listening thoughts apply to non balanced as well?

It is thoughtful post like yours help those of us with less technical awarnes come to balanced decisions (no pun intended!)

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #365 of 3,070
No prob. Just sharing my experience of over spending based on reading and not doing my own audition.

I have used the protector in SE mode before my whiplash balanced cable arrived for my JH16. It sounds quite a lot better with balanced mode, and surpasses stepdance, SR71A, mustang, iQube in my opinion. The SE mode is not bad at all, just that soundstage and details seems better with balanced mode.

Like I said, you have to hear it yourself with proper audition and not based on my experience. I might be the only one who felt that the protector is nicer than the stepdance (to my ears and preference).

If you are in Singapore, there a nice shop selling protector and they have balanced cables for audition!

Nov 5, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #366 of 3,070

Quote:
No prob. Just sharing my experience of over spending based on reading and not doing my own audition.

I have used the protector in SE mode before my whiplash balanced cable arrived for my JH16. It sounds quite a lot better with balanced mode, and surpasses stepdance, SR71A, mustang, iQube in my opinion. The SE mode is not bad at all, just that soundstage and details seems better with balanced mode.

Like I said, you have to hear it yourself with proper audition and not based on my experience. I might be the only one who felt that the protector is nicer than the stepdance (to my ears and preference).

If you are in Singapore, there a nice shop selling protector and they have balanced cables for audition!

Sounds like Singapore fares better for hifi than Vancouver does. Sadly the only portable amp for sale in a store here is the Graham slee voyager. I am sure it is a lovely amp but here it costs almost $500 and I am just not prepared to pay A. that mark up and B. that amount for a generic plastic box!

The more I read about Jan and his thoughts on HiFi the more I feel confident this will be a good purchase, will see in a couple of weeks!
Thanks again for your thoughts!

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #367 of 3,070
Hi guys, I just got a Stepdance and I need some help. I didn't fully realize the implications of the battery consumption on this amp, it is scary. 

1. Where I am, I couldn't find the rechargeable battery brands that some of you guys talked about. So I bought a local brand that is a 260mAh NimH rechargeable. The Stepdance ate through the battery in 2hrs. It takes 8hours to charge and somehow to me it doesn't make sense..
smily_headphones1.gif

I need advice on which brand I should purchase, iPower or HiTech or etc..

It is quite costly to ship a charger + 4 9V batteries + shipping, it would be about US$155. So I want to avoid making a mistake with the battery purchase. 

What do you guys think of this?
http://tinyurl.com/2c3736k   HiTech
http://tinyurl.com/2g3zn8f   iPower

2. I need some opinions on the sound signature, for me the soundstage and details are good, quite laid-back.
I find that the amp is a little warm and the bass is not really tight (as compared to what some are saying in this thread). So far it has less than 30hrs of play time. My question is would the bass tighten up with more play time or will it remain the same? I understand some don't believe in burn-in so I hope I am not opening up a can of worms by asking this.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for any thoughts
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #368 of 3,070
That's partly why I sold mine after 1 day of use. The bass, soundstage, details are inferior is still not as good as my protector, and the power consumption is really heavy. The power consumption cannot justify the sound quality I hope for. Only my Lisa III uses similar consumption, but sound quality is alot better.

I guess you can just use alkaline 9v battery and it will last you around 12hrs. That's around 1 day usage and approximately US$4 per battery.

Alternatively, you can order online for a few Ipower high power Li-polymer battery and it should last slightly longer than normal alkaline.

I have been using 300mah maha 9v for my Lisa III. Quite good too, but won't last as long as Li-polymer.

Cheers,

Mark

Nov 6, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #370 of 3,070

Quote:
[...] I need advice on which brand I should purchase, iPower or HiTech or etc.. [...]
smily_headphones1.gif

I use Powerex 8.4v 300mAh. I haven't timed exactly, but on low gain I would say I get about 6 hours of listening out of a battery. The batteries recharge in about 2 hours with the Powerex PP3 charger (the charger has a small foot-print but can charge 4 batteries at once, which is a bonus).

Nov 6, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #371 of 3,070

Quote:

I use Powerex 8.4v 300mAh. I haven't timed exactly, but on low gain I would say I get about 6 hours of listening out of a battery. The batteries recharge in about 2 hours with the Powerex PP3 charger (the charger has a small foot-print but can charge 4 batteries at once, which is a bonus).

You have it on low gain but do you have the other switch to higher power (or what ever it is called, the one for the best sound quality!)

Nov 6, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #373 of 3,070

Quote:
Good point, forgot to mention that. I always have that switch set to high.

Excellent! From what I can gather (and I stand to be corrected on this) it is the high setting for power that eats up the battery more rather than the gain setting. 6 hours is fine for me as I tend to listen to a maximum of four hours a day.

I am considering the ipower ones but this would be more than acceptable to me and I could get more batteries just in case I run out on the road!

Your info is valuable,thank you!

Just counting the hours till Jan gets back and sends me the invoice! folks who have the ipower batteries, could you tell us how long you get on a full charge?

Nov 6, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #374 of 3,070

Sorry for the two posts. I placed a comment in the wrong box! That goes for the one below!

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #375 of 3,070
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back