Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Oct 14, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #286 of 3,070
I have not heard the original TTVJ portable in a long time, but from memory, the Stepdance is a significant upgrade.

Oct 15, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #287 of 3,070
Ok,so now I want to give you my impressions on the Stepdance.This is not supposed to be a review,I have by no means enough experience with high-end audio gear as well as with the evalutation of it.But I am experienceing great pleasure listening to music and even more so when the quality is there.
So,I am interested in portable audio gear for about 5 years now,I am a student so my funds are not what I would like them to be and I am using the following equipment at the moment:the source is a Cowon iAudio X5L 30GB,packed with a lot of FLACs and high quality mp3s.The interconnect is a Qables SilverCab Pro but I added the ViaBlue T6s 3.5mm Jack and soldered the Switchcraft Plug to my AKG 701,I also have a pair of Shure SE530 for listening to music while on the road.I bought the Qables interconnect quite some time ago because I always planed to buy a portable headphone amp,and man I am happy I did!I had a iBasso P3 as a loaner for about half a year,and I also listened to the RSA Predator (wich I liked much much better,but that is no suprise I guess)
Ok now lets get to the point,ahhh not quite yet!I want to tell you how I got my Stepdance.
I am living in Erlangen,and it´s only half a year now that I came to know that Meier-Audio is based in Spardorf,wich is about 2 miles from Erlangen.
smily_headphones1.gif
Lucky me I guess!I couldn´t reach Jan by phone so I thought I could just as well pack my gear and just cycle to his home,and see if he is there.And he was!He said he only has about an hour,because he has to get to the post-office to get the stuff you are waiting for on it´s way.Then he asked me what I am interested in.I said the Headsix and the Stepdance.But the Headsix would be my first joice (of course never having listened to either) because I want to use it on a big bicycle-trip to China,and the headsix is using much less battery.He totally agreed and gave me a Headsix for listening to it.He was preparing his parcels as I was listening to the Headsix.A great experience and a really lovely little amp!I listened to some of my favorite songs for evalutating audio gear.2 or 3 songs from Avishai Cohens Continuo,then 2 songs by Tom Waits (Gun Street Girl for example is a great reference for evaluating bass impact).Then Jan said he only has another 15 minutes so I said that it´s time to show me the Stepdance.He reminded me that it would not be wise to listen to it,but I said,sometimes you just have to make mistakes,just for the sheer fun of doing it
smily_headphones1.gif

OK,NOW TO THE STEPDANCE,AT LAST:
I plugged in the Stepdance,again listening to Avishai Cohen Trio´s album Coninuo!I was struck by the difference!Immediatly!The Stepdance came straight out of the box,so no burning-in done yet.The soundstage was much wider,instrument seperation much better (Ok,only 3 Instruments there,but none the less) and the sound was absolutly silky smooth without loosing any details!Amazing.And I think the best experience I had with my AKG 701 so far!Then Gun Street Girl by Tom Waits again.The timbals beeing struck right in front of me,AMAZING.A big grin from the left ear to the right.Jan said: "I warned you!You just didn´t want to listen." I said: "Yeah,and I said,sometimes you just have to make mistakes
smily_headphones1.gif
So,the Stepdance it is!"
Jan gave me the Stepdance and we went to the post office together,wich also had an ATM so I could give him his money (I only brought 160€ with me,just to make sure I won´t buy the Stepdance,hah!Didn´t work,hmm
smily_headphones1.gif

I have burned in the Stepdance since then (yesterday:) so I think the sound is nowhere near it will be in the end,but I can say this so far:
The Stepdance is very neutral,that means whatever Phones you plug in,they will sound just like they are tuned to.So you can use them as they may or may not be designed for.For example I think that the Stepdance and the AKG 701 are really great for Jazz and classical music.Everything is right there.No overexaggeration of any part of the sound.Very good soundstage so far,but I think and hope it will open up even more.
I only listened to the Shures very briefly because I misplaced my extension cable for them,and holding the Stepdance about 30cm from your ears all the time is quite some pain in the a**.But they also do what I expected them to do,but much much better.Great for Pop or Electronic,Vocals are spooky!
The Stepdance has authority over the AKG 701.I didn´t think it is possible to get this sound out of them from a portable rig.Great!Ah and another thing I noticed is that there is absolutly no listening fatigue!The Stepdance doesn´t sound harsh or rude.It´s pure pleasure,but again,without taking anything away from the sound.Admirable!
I will continue to burn in,and when done I will write a deeper conclusion of what "I" think the Stepdance sounds like.I havent read the whole thread here because I was too busy listening to music.I read the first three pages,but there was no actual review of the Stepdance,and now I am happy that I did it that way,because you can get something from me that is not influenced by others,and we all are beeing influenced by what we read.You can´t help but do so!
I hope I could be of any help,if you have questions,I would like to answer them!And one thing in addition:dealing with Jan was a great experience.He is a really kind an honest guy,always willing to help and give the right advice (some people are just not willing to listen I guess).Strictly recommended.
Even now that I can´t forsee the whole capabilities of the Stepdance,I am absolutly confident that I made the right decision having bought it!
I think thats enough for the moment.I hope you could understand everything,my english is OK I guess,but for descibing the features of the sound I don´t know if i have been using all the right vocabulary.
Greeting to all of you,HeadFi is a great source for advice,we should all keep it that way!
Lorenz

Oct 15, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #288 of 3,070
got stepdance  two weeks ago.I really love it SQ but hate the battery life.

Stepdance reminds me the most to the ALO RX.They both sound clean neutral, punchy, have very good mid, big soundstage and dark background .
Stepdance has better detail and better instruments seperation.

In the end I keep both amps ,because the size and batterry life of the ALO RX (it doesn't mean ALORX has bad SQ) and Stepdance for SQ.

They are only two amps,I've heard ,which make my Ed8 sounds close to JH16.

Oct 15, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #289 of 3,070
Lorenz.
Thank you so much for your thoughts, very clear and concise. I am really happy the 701's work well with this amp as I have them and they will get more use now. Can't wait till my stepdance arrives!

Oct 16, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #292 of 3,070

Quote:
Great post, Lorenz! That's a wonderful story.

I may have to go to Germany to pick up my next amp...

It's not so easy to trick your wallet. 
biggrin.gif

I forgot to add in my post and you reminded me cooper!

Lorenz's story is a bit like a Porsche owner being able to go to the factory to pick up his/her car in person!

Oct 16, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #293 of 3,070

nope, probably not yet

moreover, I asked Jan if he had, but he said those were not yet available and they were supposed to be easy to drive premium closed phones with the right jack for the stepdance

I'm waiting for those myself

Quote:
Has anyone tried the Stepdance with the new Beyer T5p yet ? This could just be one of those combinations that really sing....

Mike

Oct 16, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #294 of 3,070
Anyone know if the Stepdance works well with the J3? what about the Triple.Fis?

Oct 16, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #295 of 3,070
Lorenz: Since you have listened to the Predator, can you compare and contrast the two? Thanks.

Oct 17, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #298 of 3,070

Quote:
Would love this amp, only if it had rechargeable battery...
anyone able to compare this to arrow amp?

It is easy enough and relatively cheap enough to purchase a couple of 9 volt rechargeable batteries and charger.

Oct 17, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #299 of 3,070
Hi there!
first of all,thanks for your responses!I took a lot from this forum,and I am willing to give something back
smily_headphones1.gif

This is only a short update,after another 3 days of burning-in.I think the spectrum of frequencies that can be produced by the Stepdance has widened.Or it sounds like it is easier for the Stepdance to show them.It doesn´t have to stretch any more to play the deepest and the highest frequencies.I hope you have an idea what I want to say with this.There is one thing that hasn´t changed for the better,and this is the mid-tones,but I experienced this with the P3 Heron as well,and it was gone after another 30 or 40 hours of burning in.I am sure this will happen with the Stepdance as well.Right now,the mids are a little bit harsh,and not as smooth as they have been at the beginning.But as I said,its already changing,and I think it will settle in one or two days.
I listened to the Shures quite a bit now,and I really like them.But they are nothing compared to the AKG 701´s.I always liked the Shures better,but not any more!Now I think I have an idea of the potencial of the AKGs.They are not that demanding regarding the amp,but the Cowon X5 just hasn´t been enough.The Stepdance is!I know that many of you don´t like them because they are not so easy on the ears,they are pretty analytical and not so musical.But the Stepdance has a great way of rendering the sound,and like I said in the beginning,there is no listening fatigue at all!It is amazing!
@ cooperpwc:thanks,and I think it may be pretty easy to trick your wallet,but not your desires
smily_headphones1.gif

@ ianmedium:You will definitely have a lot of fun with the Stepdance and your 701s,I didn´t have the opportunity of listening to a lot of different phones in combination with the Stepdance,but I think it is a great match!And since I do not have a drivers license (I never got one) I am not that interested in Porsche,but I have been to the Leica factory,and its pretty much the same there
smily_headphones1.gif
But of course with Jan its much more intimate (is this the right word?)
@ Jalo:I am really sorry,but it is at least a year since I have been listening to the Predator,so I can´t really compare them.But I still know that I liked my Shures better then the AKGs with the Predator,don´t know if this helps in any way...

I am sorry,I have the feeling that my english is really bad today,maybe because I have a really bad hangover.I am a student,and it´s sunday....
smily_headphones1.gif

I will gladly answer any questions if I can,and of course I will keep you updated on any changes in sound signature.Have a nice day everyone
Lorenz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back