Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Sep 9, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #631 of 1,273
You are totally right, it's 32MB. I just stopped reading after 32, automatically assuming it was 32GB. I don't know if it has drivers on it, If I need them I will download 'em directly from their website (to ensure I get the latest ones).
I still didn't have the time to plug everything in, extremely busy with work. I am thinking of trying OpenELEC out, to see if I get it working for bitperfect streaming. If that won't work out, then I will move to Ubuntu. Problem is that I have few specific requirements and I am not sure if these system can satisfy them - bitperfect streaming capabilities, no problem with X-Sabre via async USB, DLNA/UPnP attached storage support, support of Intel NUC platform and being able to control everything with tablet (without any other screen plugged in). I am still in a process of buying new dedicated PC for media, but I don't know if I should wait for new Intel NUC generation or just go with what's available now.

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #632 of 1,273
Hello everyone. First of all thanks to project86 for the great review and Maxvla and the other "early adopters" for sharing their impressions.

Until some days ago I was sure that I will never need a standalone DAC anymore because of my digital-amp. But then I have read about streaming DoP files via a Squeezebox Touch (with the EDO app) to a DSD/DoP-ready DAC on the Slimdevices Forum. After I calmed down from the first excitement about this genial and simple (I hope) way of playing DSD files, I was looking for a suitable DAC and found the Matrix X-Sabre in this DSD Database: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgVhKcl_3lHfdFVyenBBNjNpQ2lieG81WGpqQTNfVUE#gid=0 and then this thread via Google. After reading all the 42 pages I couldn`t resist any longer to make the order.

@filuS... thank you for the audiophonics link. I guess I bought the last DAC that was on stock there at the moment.

Quote:
  It has a very small delay switching to new sample rates, with no annoying "click" sounds or any other quirks to speak of.

That was very important to read about it. I am allergic on relay clicks when the sample rate is changing. Thank you for mentioning this.

Best regards.
Mario

Sep 10, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #633 of 1,273
Update from Matrix - the silver X-Sabre is finally available! The US distributor has the first one, and although Matrix hasn't yet done any marketing beauty shots, Arthur took a few of his own just for us. Keep in mind - these are just quick snaps, no professional camera or lighting or editing. The enclosure is solid silver though in some of these it looks dark with just a silver faceplate. That's just a lighting effect - of course, the X-Sabre doesn't even have a separate faceplate.

There's now a voltage selector switch on the bottom. Good idea!

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #634 of 1,273
I still like black one more, but I am pretty sure there are many people going for lighter versions (my whole rig is dark - I really dig into dark combination with tubes, but it is a real b**ch when it comes to cleaning - little OCD-boy inside me keeps wiping dust off it like every day :D). Btw, I have version with voltage selector as well, so if it wasn't there since the beginning they updated it without announcement.

@holzohr : you're welcome, we are a friendly community here and whenever we can help, we do :)

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #635 of 1,273
has anybody compared the x-sabre to the new sabre dacs from audio-gd, specifically the nfb-1.32?

also is the coax and usb inputs galvanically isolated? im afraid of ground loop noise/hum from my PC, which i have experienced before with electrical data cables, and is why i prefer optical.

rly missing toslink, if x-sabre had toslink input i would've bought it already...

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #636 of 1,273
Just talked to Arthur from Matrix USA, they carry the new 2013 models now (even though their website has not been updated to reflect this), so they come with the voltage selector. Arthur says they will update their website to show this soon.

Also he confirmed for me that the USB input of the X-Sabre is indeed completely galvanically isolated, so both the 5V hot and ground wires are not used and can be cut actually (only the 2 data wires are used). Another to thing I found out is that only products bought from the Matrix USA website is covered by the North America warranty, so don't get it from elsewhere (e.g. eBay) if you can. Matrix USA (Arthur himself actually) has very good service and responded to my questions super quick.

The lack of optical input is not really a problem for me as I found a good optical to coaxial digital converter. Can't wait to get it in my hands lol

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #637 of 1,273
Hmmm... did I make my order too early?
rolleyes.gif
I like the silver version. A silver spot in the black gear... Well, the DAC is in town. Hope the TNT man will be appearing before I have to leave to work. I feel like christmas a bit.
smile.gif

Sep 13, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #638 of 1,273
Another big thank you to Project86 for the initial writeup, and everyone else who has pitched in since then. I replaced a 12 year old Perpetual Audio P3A with the X-Sabre that arrived yesterday, I know I still have more burn-in-time ahead but I already love this unit. Such a lush, rich but incredibly clear sound from all sources and formats/depths/rates it's a pure joy to listen to. The build quality is also superb, in-hand it feels like the high end it is. Arthur was also great to work with through the initial questions, transaction and suggestions. I can't recommend this enough.

I'm using JRiver from a small E-Book as the digital/USB source (with all music files on a central server). I was worried the e-book's meagre CPU wouldn't be up to DSD/DXD playback and I did run into buffering issues initially but it was just down to wifi and those high bitrates, once I copied them locally everything has been silky smooth. I still might upgrade to a better laptop later (when the wallet has recovered :) ) to play with JRive'rs realtime DSD conversion (i.e. PCM to DSD), see how that affects the end result.

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #639 of 1,273
A dream came true. Streaming DSD files. So, everyone with a Squeezebox Touch, install the EDO app and try this DAC. The USB connection works "out of the box" after the reboot (of the SBT).
The next hours I will be busy with converting all my DSD files to DoP. Thank God it`s weekend!
smile.gif

Sep 14, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #640 of 1,273
  A dream came true. Streaming DSD files. So, everyone with a Squeezebox Touch, install the EDO app and try this DAC. The USB connection works "out of the box" after the reboot (of the SBT).
The next hours I will be busy with converting all my DSD files to DoP. Thank God it`s weekend!
smile.gif

Nice! I sold my SBT a while back, but this sounds like a great way to get an affordable DSD capable music server going. 

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #641 of 1,273
A question for current owners regarding operation: is there a delay in the x-Sabre locking on to the signal (USB and coax)? My current dac takes a second to lock so I always miss the first second of a song when I use wasapi :frowning2:(

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #642 of 1,273
I don't have that issue. Mine locks in right away.

Sep 14, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #643 of 1,273
The only time I've noticed a click is from DSD to PCM and vice-versa. PCM to PCM at all rates (including DXD) is flawless. JRiver has a configurable delay for hardware sync though if you do run into the issue.

Sep 14, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #645 of 1,273
Ordered mine from TAM Audio (China) in late June of this year and it also had the voltage selection.  FWIW, I ordered from TAM to use their $200.00 USD off coupon and free shipping, so I paid a total of $899.00 USD.

There's now a voltage selector switch on the bottom. Good idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back