Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Apr 8, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #451 of 1,273
Quote:
Does the X-Sabre implement the DoP v1.0 or v1.1? We are talking 24/88.2 vs 24/176.4 DSD native playback here... There's a difference.

I tried DSD64 (1 bit @ 2.8224MHz) bitstreamed to the X-Sabre with no problems. DSD64 bandwidth (including the additional 8 bit header used to identify it's a DSD stream) ends up as the equivalent of 24bit / 176.4kHz. So I can only assume that the PCM wrapper was running at 24/176, since the DSD64 or DSDx1 light was on the DAC.

To my knowledge, DoP v1.0 (and from its conception) was always able to support DSD64. (8 bit header + 16 bit data @ 176). I mean, it wouldn't make sense for them to support a standard which lacks sufficient bandwidth to embed at least DSDx1, ya?

The only thing I know is that JRiver supports the DoP 1.0 OxFa, 0x05, and older 0xAA marker/header formats which identify the DSD stream embedded in PCM.

Quote:
JRiver isn't the end-all solution. Learning how to set up the DAC with your computer is. Foobar is a great product and is even better when you think how much it costs... NOTHING!

Never said JRiver is the end-all solution. My reply was in the context of Q's comment on getting older and not being able or having the inclination to "learn" or I as prefer to call it "F with stuff". "Learning" or "f'ing with stuff" to get things to work gets tiresome when you get older and have other responsibilities. In the sense that time = money, I've found that foobar has been much more expensive.

Apr 9, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #452 of 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questhate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Need to do more listening and maybe tube rolling before finalizing any opinion, but those are the aspects that jumped out at me last night. 

To sum up: you're not happy with your new purchase?

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #453 of 1,273
What happened to that useful spreadsheet that was linked here earlier?!?

I am considering two of those DACs and now I can't find the comparison.

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #458 of 1,273
Great review Project86. Love the take apart photos and insightful comparisons with other DACs. I look forward to your investigation on why High res FLAC or  DXD, etc. is so much more expensive than RedBook. Shouldnt it be one price with a choose your preferred format kind of thing...
Anyways... excellent and thanks for being so generous with your time. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #460 of 1,273
Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Great review Project86. Love the take apart photos and insightful comparisons with other DACs. I look forward to your investigation on why High res FLAC or  DXD, etc. is so much more expensive than RedBook. Shouldnt it be one price with a choose your preferred format kind of thing...
Anyways... excellent and thanks for being so generous with your time. 

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I'd be looking any further into this mystery... 

The only time I can get behind a hi-res version costing more is when the company was involved in funding a remaster from the original analog tapes. At that point it makes sense for them to recover the costs involved in that project. 

If I had to guess though, I'd bet the labels have some deal worked out with the distributors (HDtracks for example) where the very right to sell those hi-res versions costs more than the redbook counterpart. So we get charged a higher price to make up the difference. Which makes sense I guess, but it's still frustrating for us as end users.

I choose to assume it's something like that rather than straight forward "we charge more cuz people will pay more". 

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #461 of 1,273
Project86: I love your review, it was more informative than I could hope for. I am about to order Svetlana 2 to pair with my W3000ANV. After that I will be saving for new dac; and seeing you actually own(ed) few dacs I am keeping my eye on together with Svetlana 2 (which is pretty rare amp to see around, not really a mainstream) - which dac would provide the best synergy with Svetlana 2 + W3000 combo (or Svetlana 2 + W1000X for that matter)? I am currently looking at DAC in sub 1000€ category - X-Sabre and Resonessence Concero are my favourites atm (Yulong D18 didn't make the cut because of missing USB input). I am concerned only about pure sound, no need to take additional input/output capabilities or higher price into an account. Your personal preference will suffice greatly, no need to explain why would you choose one or another.

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #462 of 1,273
Good review, John. I am one of those people for whom the X-Sabre locked in on every aspect of sound I want and is practically perfect. I have no desire to look elsewhere for a DAC.

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #463 of 1,273
Quote:
Project86: I love your review, it was more informative than I could hope for. I am about to order Svetlana 2 to pair with my W3000ANV. After that I will be saving for new dac; and seeing you actually own(ed) few dacs I am keeping my eye on together with Svetlana 2 (which is pretty rare amp to see around, not really a mainstream) - which dac would provide the best synergy with Svetlana 2 + W3000 combo (or Svetlana 2 + W1000X for that matter)? I am currently looking at DAC in sub 1000€ category - X-Sabre and Resonessence Concero are my favourites atm (Yulong D18 didn't make the cut because of missing USB input). I am concerned only about pure sound, no need to take additional input/output capabilities or higher price into an account. Your personal preference will suffice greatly, no need to explain why would you choose one or another.

Thanks for the kind words. Funny you should mention the Svetlana - I was just listening to it, fed by the X-Sabre (routed through the Stax SRA-12S to allow multiple connections at the same time). I don't have my W1000X any more but I was using the HD800 - geez does that amp sound nice. I already established that my Svetlana was the best amp I ever heard for W1000X. I'm certain it does very well with the W3000ANV as well - as another Svetlana user around here reports.

Concero is quite good as well but for an all out system like that (and I consider W3000ANV and Svetlana to definitely be an all out system, or "end game" if you wish) I'd say go with the X-Sabre if money isn't a consideration. 
Quote:
Good review, John. I am one of those people for whom the X-Sabre locked in on every aspect of sound I want and is practically perfect. I have no desire to look elsewhere for a DAC.

Thanks Chris. I think I'm one of those people as well - if I didn't have my Anedio D2 or Invicta, I'd still be perfectly content with X-Sabre. I can see how someone might prefer something else over it but for me - it is the best DAC this side of $1500. Period. 

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #464 of 1,273
@Project86
Thank you very much for you in-depth review, especially because you have pointed out that the output stage is based on lme 49710, a good opamp.

I've a question for you (a little OT).
You have found anedio d2 to be in another league in comparison with x-sabre.
Since d2 have a volume control I'd like to know if its sound is degradated if connected to a preamplifier.
I've found, for example, that Nad m51 reach the best sound without pre.
Is it the same for the anedio d2?
Thanks.

Apr 11, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #465 of 1,273
The 6V xlr output can damage the xlr input of an amp?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back