Massdrop PLUS Universal IEM
Oct 24, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #751 of 877
ETA: Switched up the cabling with the Massdrop x MEE 2-pin silver-plated copper cable. I take back what I was saying about not liking silver. With the LCX I'm hearing the refined treble response (and maybe less mid-bass more sub-bass?), and I'm kinda digging it. But that might be because it was meant to go with the MD+. Still investigating...

I think I agree with you on less mid-bass, my experience is that there’s also less sub bass in the Mee cable and that the treble is just a bit too hot for me, but the V20 I daily drive is not a warm source at all, plus since there’s only one phone I’m aware of with a balanced out (and this ain’t it) I’m still running my MD+ single-ended all the time so even discounting differences in our hearing I’d expect your experience to be different to mine...I might try that cable on my VE Biggies though. Now that I think about it that might be quite a good pairing!

Oct 27, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #752 of 877
Had the massdrop plus for almost half a year now and I am just as pleased as when I first got it, still feel no strong desire to upgrade and therefore I gotta ask you guys what you have bought as replacement cables. Mine is starting to oxidize badly and the soldering inside the jack appears to have gone loose. I'm not super interested in spending a fortune on cables for a 300 dollar IEM, any ergonomic and sturdy cables you've found that you like?

Oct 29, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #753 of 877
Had the massdrop plus for almost half a year now and I am just as pleased as when I first got it, still feel no strong desire to upgrade and therefore I gotta ask you guys what you have bought as replacement cables. Mine is starting to oxidize badly and the soldering inside the jack appears to have gone loose. I'm not super interested in spending a fortune on cables for a 300 dollar IEM, any ergonomic and sturdy cables you've found that you like?

Do check out nullaudio’s . Perhaps wait for 11.11 for their sales

Oct 31, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #761 of 877
Comparing the Mee cable to the stock one I perceive that the lateral soundstage is larger on the balanced cable, the upper mids are slightly less detailed while the mids and lower mids are more detailed and while the bass goes just as deep it’s less present in tracks where I expect it to be present. I also experienced loose connections on both the left and right earpiece with the Mee connector, which was frustrating.
Thanks for the impressions. By the way when you say the upper mids are slightly less detailed w/ the Mee cable, do you mean its upper mids is less forward and has less presence?

Oct 31, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #762 of 877
Thanks for the impressions. By the way when you say the upper mids are slightly less detailed w/ the Mee cable, do you mean its upper mids is less forward and has less presence?

I think I mean that they were veiled or smoothed over, less texture in voices and instruments.

For the record I’m not ruling out any of my own mental biases in these findings, from a strictly scientific perspective they’re all SPC cables and all being run single-ended with the same file from the same source so there shouldn’t really be a difference in sound quality. The mind is a strange thing, and I like a lot of other people, assume mine to be stranger than average.

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #763 of 877
I think I mean that they were veiled or smoothed over, less texture in voices and instruments.

For the record I’m not ruling out any of my own mental biases in these findings, from a strictly scientific perspective they’re all SPC cables and all being run single-ended with the same file from the same source so there shouldn’t really be a difference in sound quality. The mind is a strange thing, and I like a lot of other people, assume mine to be stranger than average.
Thanks for the reply. I'm asking that because I find the high mid of massdrop plus slightly too forward for my taste, and was wondering if some alternative cables could fix it a bit. Anyway what you said about loose connections is a concern to me, guess I'll pass it for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back