Massdrop PLUS Universal IEM
Jan 17, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #781 of 877
Had these since the first drop and never liked it much, felt the high mid a bit shouty, and the bass too lean. Mostly used with Mojo single ended. Anyway this week I decided to give it one last chance so I changed to the stock balanced cable and tired it with FiiO Q5 and AK70, and surprisingly, the bass is boosted, and the high mid though still lifted becomes less prominent, which makes it much more aligned with my preference. I’m still wondering whether it’s because of the balanced output or simply because Q5 and AK70 have higher output impedance than Mojo; the Andromeda becomes bass heavy with low output impedance sources, so I guess it could be similar for the Plus, except it’s in the opposite direction? Anyway with FiiO Q5 these are definitely a keeper, really nice pairing for me.

Jan 17, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #782 of 877
Had these since the first drop and never liked it much, felt the high mid a bit shouty, and the bass too lean. Mostly used with Mojo single ended. Anyway this week I decided to give it one last chance so I changed to the stock balanced cable and tired it with FiiO Q5 and AK70, and surprisingly, the bass is boosted, and the high mid though still lifted becomes less prominent, which makes it much more aligned with my preference. I’m still wondering whether it’s because of the balanced output or simply because Q5 and AK70 have higher output impedance than Mojo; the Andromeda becomes bass heavy with low output impedance sources, so I guess it could be similar for the Plus, except it’s in the opposite direction? Anyway with FiiO Q5 these are definitely a keeper, really nice pairing for me.

It’s probably the DAP pairing. I find the MD+ doesn’t scale well with a lot of power (I tried the Mojo and didn’t like it as well. ER4SR on the other hand...). However, balanced out of a DAP usually gives twice the power than SE so that might not be the case. It could just be the DAC/amp of the DAP and you like that sound signature better. Probably more of a V-shaped DAP.

Jan 18, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #783 of 877
It’s probably the DAP pairing. I find the MD+ doesn’t scale well with a lot of power (I tried the Mojo and didn’t like it as well. ER4SR on the other hand...). However, balanced out of a DAP usually gives twice the power than SE so that might not be the case. It could just be the DAC/amp of the DAP and you like that sound signature better. Probably more of a V-shaped DAP.
Yes I guess it's more about the pairing than the power. It's just interesting that Mojo was usually the bassier one and Q5 the more neutral sounding one, but I guess you could never take nothing for granted..

Jan 22, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #784 of 877
How are these with death/black/doom metal?

Jan 23, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #785 of 877
How are these with death/black/doom metal?

I don’t know if you’d call Author & Punisher doom metal (noisey think so, but he seems more industrial to me) but tracks like ‘The Speaker is Systematically Blown’ or ‘Future Man’ have plenty of bite in the midrange with enough bass response to bring some gravitas to the lower register, but not overpower everything else. The layering that Massdrop extol in their marketing guff does seem to make itself present too, Tristan’s vocals are quite distinct from the other instruments/sounds in that frequency band.
Hope that’s helpful, but someone who’s better-versed in black metal might have more informative things to say :)

Jan 29, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #789 of 877
The Shozy Hibiki replacement cable is cheap, available on Amazon prime in the US, and fits snugly in the MD+ connectors, at least on mine.

Eventually, I'd like to get either a somewhat longer one or else a rather shorter one and an ES100 to go with it. But this seems to work well for now. Not sure about long-term durability, although so far so good.

I am not able to find this as a cable only option on Amazon. Can someone provide me the link if they have it? I am getting the earphone as the result, but no result for the cable. Thanks

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #794 of 877
Hey @CEE TEE are the stock foam tips for these available to purchase anywhere?
Thanks for your help :)
Not at the moment, but Comply has foam tips that fit and we may work on carrying them. I believe it is the 500 series that fits.

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #795 of 877
Confirmed the 500 series are correct.

After having had the Plus for what feels like FOREVER, I have FINALLY been able to get a decent fit by using the Comply 500s.
Unfortunately it's still not great, since the left ear's tip tends to slide out easily and can't penetrate as deep (erm) due to my ear-canal being very narrow.

It's a positive development at least though. It's a shame no non-foamies fit however, as I don't like using foam-tips.

Two questions to the general audience here:
* Is it normal for it to protrude from the ear? Based on the design/pictures, it feels as if it should really be mostly be flush...
* What cable do y'all replace yours with? The stock cable is sticky and generally terrible, in my experience...

Otherwise it felt great to finally be able to hear what it can do. I really appreciate the general coherence and soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back