Massdrop PLUS Universal IEM
Oct 13, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #722 of 877
I'm looking for something neutral with a bit of warmth.

That would be my experience of the MD+ with the stock cable. I’m told copper-only cables like the Null Audio Brevity can further warm up the frequency response too, but I haven’t tried one myself.

Oct 14, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #723 of 877
I am a bit of a sceptic when it comes to cables but as much as I hate to say it, there are some audible differences cable-rolling with the MD+. For instance I've found that VE's Oyaide 102SSC (copper) adds a bit to the bass in terms of both quantity and quality and warms up the sound just a tad.

Likewise I imagine that a pure silver cable might help with top-end extension but haven't tried it personally.

Oct 18, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #725 of 877
Same. I’ve been searching for an IEM upgrade that is fun but closer to neutral in terms of treble response. So many IEMs are tuned either too dark or too bright.

Waiting for the MD+ to arrive! Picked up a Penon audio OFC 2.5mm cable to use with my balanced gear. Prefer copper to most silver cables that I’ve heard.

Oct 18, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #726 of 877
Hey guys, just jumped on the Plus bandwagon. So far one word - exceptional. Question here as I’m an IEM noob: any reason they went for 2-pin rather than mmcx for the cable connector? Seems strange - those little pins are just begging to be bent.

The plastic housing around the pins seats into the body of the IEM. While the cable is attached, nothing will bend the pins that doesn't also physically destroy the IEM itself.

The supplied cables are pretty fragile, and in many cases loose, though, so I would recommend replacing them.

As to 2-pin vs. MMCX, I don't see an issue with either. (Although I find it a PITA when MMCX phones swivel too loosely at the attachment point.)

Oct 18, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #727 of 877
The supplied cables are pretty fragile, and in many cases loose, though, so I would recommend replacing them.

Haven't broken my stock cable yet, but can vouch for the looseness around the connector. Unfortunately both the replacement cables I've tried to date have not been able to remedy that looseness, particularly on the right-hand side earpiece. I've gotten around it by adhesive tape (masking tape is particularly good, insulation tape isn't) around the body of the connector just below the pins. (will provide a photo when I'm not at work).

@gLer The cable I've had the best run with outside of the stock cable is the Florea from Singapore Audio Hive: https://sgaudiohive.com/products/florea
They'll do that in pretty much any termination you require and in SPC or straight Copper depending on your preference.

I've also tried the MDxMee Balanced Cable, but I've got a few more words to say on that after some longer-term use and I wouldn't recommend it straight away unless you are doing a lot of switching out between SE and balanced sources.

Other people have had a good run with the Null Audio Brevity & Arete cables (Brevity is cheaper than the Florea, Arete is more expensive).

Oct 18, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #728 of 877
The Shozy Hibiki replacement cable is cheap, available on Amazon prime in the US, and fits snugly in the MD+ connectors, at least on mine.

Eventually, I'd like to get either a somewhat longer one or else a rather shorter one and an ES100 to go with it. But this seems to work well for now. Not sure about long-term durability, although so far so good.

Oct 18, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #729 of 877
The Shozy Hibiki replacement cable is cheap, available on Amazon prime in the US, and fits snugly in the MD+ connectors, at least on mine.

Eventually, I'd like to get either a somewhat longer one or else a rather shorter one and an ES100 to go with it. But this seems to work well for now. Not sure about long-term durability, although so far so good.

Is that the lightning one or the TRS one?

Oct 18, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #730 of 877
Is that the lightning one or the TRS one?

TRRS, I guess, since it's a mic cable. But yeah, not lightning-based, just a regular ($20) cable. The connectors are similar to the ones on the stock MD+ cable, but they fit better and the cable overall is better-constructed. I snagged it b/c I needed something fast b/c the stock balanced cable died. (My 3.5mm stock cable was DOA to begin with.)

I don't really need a mic cable since I loathe making phone calls, but the mic and remote do work well.

Oct 18, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #731 of 877
The main thing that I find confusing about 2-pin connectors is how do you know if you're inserting the pins correctly? There usually is some kind of guide on the plug itself so you don't connect them incorrectly...

Oct 18, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #732 of 877
The main thing that I find confusing about 2-pin connectors is how do you know if you're inserting the pins correctly? There usually is some kind of guide on the plug itself so you don't connect them incorrectly...
Yeah everything about these IEMs is finicky, including the cable insert, which is why mmcx would have made more sense. Still, once everything is in and you’ve adjusted the tips in your ears so they fit ‘just right’ (I’m using Spiral Dots MS tips and they’re as good as their reputation suggests), the effort is totally worth it.

Oct 18, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #733 of 877

If you look closely there is a small key-way between the pins. The socket on the IEM has a corresponding ridge

Oct 18, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #734 of 877
Waiting for the MD+ to arrive! Picked up a Penon audio OFC 2.5mm cable to use with my balanced gear. Prefer copper to most silver cables that I’ve heard.

Which Penon cable did you get? I recently took delivery of the OS849 and must say I really enjoyed pairing it with the MD+.

With the OS849, I get a bit more treble extension from the MD+ as well as more bass, but the biggest surprise was in the mids. Now I don't think the MD+ needs any help in the mids to begin with, but they sounded noticeably more natural and airier with the OS849. That's what I'm hearing at least; as always ymmv.

Oh and the connectors fit in the MD+ sockets with a very satisfying click. :)

@gLer The cable I've had the best run with outside of the stock cable is the Florea from Singapore Audio Hive: https://sgaudiohive.com/products/florea
They'll do that in pretty much any termination you require and in SPC or straight Copper depending on your preference.

Is your Florea copper or SPC and how does it sound with the MD+?

The MD+ sockets have a tiny ridge so there's only one way you can insert them, but for IEMs that don't, you usually only have to make sure that L and R are inserted the same direction if you get my meaning.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #735 of 877
Is your Florea copper or SPC and how does it sound with the MD+?
Mine's SPC, and it makes the MDxMee cable feel over-extended, a bit hyper-real if you will. The Florea seems to synergise better with the MD+ I'm interested to hear more about the OS849 though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back