Massdrop PLUS Universal IEM
Sep 21, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #706 of 877
I am sad to report that today I finally went back from my Penon OS819, which is an 8 core mixed copper/spc, to my 4 core spc Penon cable.. The darn thing kept falling out of the MD+ sockets and my anxiety went through the roof about potentially losing them on my commute.

The 4 core fits more snug and secure and I don't know if that's due to the weight difference, or if the fixed barrel around the socket pins as opposed to the adjustable metal barrels that you can twist up or down on the CS819 make the difference.

Sep 23, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #707 of 877
Just curious, can anyone send a close-up picture how the MD+ fits on your ear? I'm not really sure if i'm wearing it correctly as I'm new to these custom/semi-custom-iem-look designs.

Gross ear photo incoming...
20180923_163926.jpg

Sorry that took a while but hopefully it clarifies how these fit IRL (there are a couple of photos of a similarly beardly person modelling these on the MD site too if this isn't quite what you were looking for :) )

Sep 24, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #710 of 877
I am not sure I am that much in love with FLC8S - are they considered "not relaxed" ?

Hey, I was just lurking and saw this comment.

I am about to sell my FLC8S tomorrow. There were things I loved about it, however they were not great all rounders and the could get sibilant without the gold filter. I would not considered the FLC8S relaxed compared to my MD+, honestly, sometimes I wish my MD+ was more engaging like the FLC. However the overall presentation is much more accurate most of time, also I appreciate the MD+'s larger soundstage, though I will miss the Dynamic driver that the FLC had, though the MD+ can have more sub bass than my FLC, it's not as satisfying to hear regardless of volume. The one thing I will miss is that my MD+ does not really do as much justice to string chamber music like the FLC8S did. I'm not sure why, maybe it was the gold filter that really brought out all the right frequencies for that music. If anything I may buy the upgraded FLC one day to have both experiences, but versus the 8S, I would say the MD+ is a better all around IEM.

Sep 29, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #711 of 877
Just got my R3 and paired it with my MD+ (i only have 3.5mm) and it sounds good but I guess my expectation was too high. The SQ improvement is just little compared to directly connecting MD+ to iPhone se. Also the bass becomes thinner and I'm sort of missing the thicker bass w/iPhone (I think this is because of the high OI 3.2ohm of iPhone se). The R3 is a good DAP though..I'll try balanced sometime.

Anyone have tried comparing MD+ with QDC Neptune and QDC Anole V3?

Sep 29, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #712 of 877
Just got my R3 and paired it with my MD+ (i only have 3.5mm) and it sounds good but I guess my expectation was too high. The SQ improvement is just little compared to directly connecting MD+ to iPhone se. Also the bass becomes thinner and I'm sort of missing the thicker bass w/iPhone (I think this is because of the high OI 3.2ohm of iPhone se). The R3 is a good DAP though..I'll try balanced sometime.

I’ve recently started using the JLab Cloudfoam tips on my MD+ and found that they can lift the bass up without compromising the higher frequencies, as they have a really short overhang at the front of the tip compared to, say, Comply so there’s not enough foam to get in the way of the MD+s sound tubes, provided the tips are pushed all the way on to the IEM spout.

Using that combo with my IEMatch set to ‘Ultra’ (<1Ohm OI) gives me a comparable level of bass response to using Spiral Dots and going straight out of my V20 (~2Ohm OI). I’m using the smallest cloudfoams and they provide the right fit for my ears, but they turn into a medium-sized tip when installed due to the size of the MD+s spout.

I’ve also got that Mee balanced cable incoming, but oddly enough I’m planning to use it with the single-ended adapter since all my sources are SE so I won’t be able to comment on how they behave with a balanced source.

...maybe I need to get an ES100...

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #718 of 877
Can anyone compare the MD+ to the FiiO FH5? I ran into these two IEMs looking for something that's slightly warm and not V/U-shaped. I'm coming from the IT03s and find the treble too hot, and the U-shape not on par with my tastes.

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #720 of 877
...so this turned up today:
AE08C412-E89C-4DD8-8E5D-FA6CA4DFCAAA.jpeg

Put them on my MD+ this evening and went for a long walk up a steep hill with a lot of music. Here’s a short impression.

What I liked:
-Despite it’s apprearence, the cable is actually surprisingly light, just as much as the stock cable, if not more so.

-Even though I’m an absolute skeptic when it comes to cables altering the sonic properties of a transducer or set of transducers, I thought I perceived a wider sound stage, and a lift in the treble region that gives the MD+ some added air, like the width of the Brainwavz R3 and the air of the CL750 without the pain of that treble spike. I don’t know if that actually happened or if my mind was tricking me, especially since I’m still only using this single-ended out of my V20, but I’m happy with the result. Based on Crin’s review of the Planamic, I wonder if this cable would make some changes to that IEM too.

-The cable length is just right for me, a larger-than-medium guy who usually has his phone in his pants pocket.

-the connectors all feel as though they are quite high-quality,

-This informative pinout diagram inside the BS-free packaging I have grown somewhat fond of from MD.

F504C560-5318-4CEF-BC6A-9E501B2EF7E2.jpeg

What I don’t like:
-Not even this cable can save me from the fact to the fact that my RHS earpiece has slightly too big a hole around the connector. Sorry to keep going on about it, but that fraction of a millimiter is enough for someone to lose their $300 investment getting out of a cab at the airport. Guess I’ll just pack out the connector with a sliver of masking tape like I did with the other cables.

-There isn’t any strain relief around the splitter.

-The wiring itself has an odd feel to it. There isn’t anything wrong with it, I’m just not sold on the texture

On balance I do like the cable, and I do think it was worth my while to get one. There’s more going for it than there is going against it, plus if I ever do end up moving into balanced gear I will probably be able to connect to it straight away, even if it’s got a Pentaconn connector.
Thanks, Massdrop :)

EA0D37D4-4624-4CE9-96E5-8875B5A5AB0A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back