Massdrop PLUS Universal IEM
Sep 11, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #676 of 877
I thought Apple’s supplied Lightning adapter had a pretty low output impedance to begin with, I think the IEMatch would only serve to widen the dynamic range there. I use my MD+ with an iPad Air 2, without the IEMatch in line I can only turn it up to 4/16 before the volume is too loud, with the IEMatch on ‘High’ that goes up to ~8/16 and when I set it to ‘Ultra’ I can push the iPad up to 12/16. That’s using the built-in headphone jack, though.

Another avenue you could look down is Null Audio’s Capri DAC cable, they do lightning to 2-pin if you don’t mind sacrificing the ability to use the Plus with anything else:)

Interesting, I'll have to check out Null Audio's cable selection. Do you find you hear minor hissing once you start playing anything with sound on your iPad air 2? (Without the lightning adapter) Once I turn off the sounds there is some minor hiss but goes away after a second.

Sep 12, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #677 of 877
Thought I'd throw another upgrade cable into the fray for you guys if you're unhappy about the stock cable. I didn't have any problems with the sound of the cable or anything like that, but my connectors were loose and I'd find that my IEMs would come unplugged from the connectors every now and then and just did not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about keeping my IEMs secure. 64 Audio's professional cable is amazing, and I actually was able to notice a bit more punch in my music. Not much, mind you, but I can definitely notice a little more life in music that I know very well. For $40 (after shipping) I can't recommend this cable enough. And of course, the connectors are much more secure and give a little "snap" when plugging the IEMs in, which makes me feel much better.

Here's the link. Bonus points that it comes in black or white! I personally chose the white and it looks and feels fantastic.

Sep 13, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #678 of 877
Interesting, I'll have to check out Null Audio's cable selection. Do you find you hear minor hissing once you start playing anything with sound on your iPad air 2? (Without the lightning adapter) Once I turn off the sounds there is some minor hiss but goes away after a second.

Sorry for the delay, it’s been a hectic couple days. I can hear the amplifier coming on and going off (signified by a small pop) but I can’t hear any of the hiss that goes with it.

I’m seriously considering joining the drop for Mee’s balanced 2-pin cable now that that’s a thing. There’s no way that would fit in the included case, but it looks pretty sturdy. Has anyone here tried the MMCX version with other IEMs? How did you find it?

Sep 13, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #680 of 877
is there a comparison between this and either of the 2 ER4's? Am curious which the MD+ is closer to, ER4XR or SR..

Having owned the pleasure of all three, I would say XR. It’s like the XR but done right with the right amount of bass boost whereas the XR had too much bass boost (for my liking) overpowering the vocals quite often.

My preferences are SR >> MD+ >>> XR.

Sep 13, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #681 of 877
Having owned the pleasure of all three, I would say XR. It’s like the XR but done right with the right amount of bass boost whereas the XR had too much bass boost (for my liking) overpowering the vocals quite often.

My preferences are SR >> MD+ >>> XR.

bought these blindly and am currently using the AKJR, am really hoping it will be impressive and make me not want to get a ER4 lol

only thing left is to get a DAP :)

Sep 13, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #683 of 877
Btw anyone uses these with the Chord Mojo..?? Synergy should be good I presume

I did actually. I found the MD+ a tad sensitive and there was hissing noise in the background. Works fine with a DAP or phone though.

Mojo, however, scales wonderfully with the ER4SR and XR. Literally takes it to another level (SR especially).

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #685 of 877
Sep 16, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #687 of 877
Not noticeable when music is playing.
Good to hear, think I can easily look past that so long as I can’t hear anything else but the music while playing :)

I may be lucky with my Mojo :dt880smile:, but I hear no hiss whatsoever when using it with the MD+.

Sep 17, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #690 of 877
I may be lucky with my Mojo :dt880smile:, but I hear no hiss whatsoever when using it with the MD+.

I can also confirm that no hiss comes out of my MD+s paired with a Poly+Mojo. :floatsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back