Massdrop PLUS Universal IEM
Nov 1, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #766 of 877
Of course, I know crinacle rated the MD+ higher. I don't think the SD2 deserves to be so low in his rankings seeing that joker gave the SD2 the same score as Sony EX1000. So, I don't take his rankings too seriously. The measurements are a treasure though.. I'm looking for a more a more side by side comparison, a few points like where one is better than the other.. that would help a lot. I see no direct comparisons between these two anywhere ...

Nov 1, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #767 of 877
Of course, I know crinacle rated the MD+ higher. I don't think the SD2 deserves to be so low in his rankings seeing that joker gave the SD2 the same score as Sony EX1000. So, I don't take his rankings too seriously. The measurements are a treasure though.. I'm looking for a more a more side by side comparison, a few points like where one is better than the other.. that would help a lot. I see no direct comparisons between these two anywhere ...

Can't help you there, as I haven't heard the SD2. You could try looking for another common point of reference. The MD+ is supposed to be tuned close to the ER4SR, right? Might be easier to find comparisons between that and the SD2 than between the MD+ and the SD2.

Nov 1, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #769 of 877
I could have sworn somebody further back in the thread had tried both the MD+ and the SD2... @Colors maybe?

Nope, but I have tested the Sony EX1000 (own it actually) which is competitive with TOTL IEMs.

Dec 26, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #771 of 877
Anyone try gaming with these? They hold their own with positional cues?

I'll check that out later. I have a powerful amp/dac setup and I want to make sure I don't overwhelm my MDP.

Dec 30, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #772 of 877
Anyone have a foolproof way for making aftermarket cables consistently stay in for the MD+? When I got it back in June I bought a basic replacement cable, and then an 8-core hybrid metal upgrade cable about a month later. But the upgrade cable kept falling out while the basic cable maintained a tight connection. Figured it wasn't worth using the loose connection if it was going to have me risk losing a monitor if I wasn't paying enough attention while handling them.

I revisited the cable last night because I absolutely love the color and shape of the 8-core braid. I tired giving the pins and port a good cleaning with the maintenance brush that came with the MD+ but it seems one side in particular does not give me a satisfying enough click when connecting to feel entirely comfortable. And later today, that side came loose, dashing my hopes for an improvement to my situation.

Dec 30, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #773 of 877
Anyone have a foolproof way for making aftermarket cables consistently stay in for the MD+? When I got it back in June I bought a basic replacement cable, and then an 8-core hybrid metal upgrade cable about a month later. But the upgrade cable kept falling out while the basic cable maintained a tight connection. Figured it wasn't worth using the loose connection if it was going to have me risk losing a monitor if I wasn't paying enough attention while handling them.

I revisited the cable last night because I absolutely love the color and shape of the 8-core braid. I tired giving the pins and port a good cleaning with the maintenance brush that came with the MD+ but it seems one side in particular does not give me a satisfying enough click when connecting to feel entirely comfortable. And later today, that side came loose, dashing my hopes for an improvement to my situation.

Get one from this site. I love it. It never falls out of my ears.

Dec 30, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #774 of 877

It’s arguably questionable as far as warranty support goes, but I have cut very small slivers of ordinary adhesive tape (not insulation tape or duct tape, definitely not FlexTape, they’re all to thick) and wrapped them around that small protrusion on the cable connector that inserts into the shell of the MD+ but doesn’t cover the pins at all. The pieces of tape (in metric) are ~1.5mm wide by ~3.5mm long so as not to cover the notch on the outer side either. It’s disappointing to have to resort to such methods, but this one worked so effectively for me I forgot that problem was even a thing until I saw this post. Will follow up won th example pics shortly :j

Edit: pic attached of stock MD+ cable with the tape mod. Yes, it is plugged into a VE Smalls. The tape sits on the face in the picture and wraps around the two perpendicular sides.

Attachments

• 7426534E-370E-4DB8-AA78-61A1FB938B92.jpeg
    7426534E-370E-4DB8-AA78-61A1FB938B92.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #776 of 877
How do these stack up against the E5000s?
Totally different beasts I’d say. The Plus is basically the Etymotic with bass slightly lifted, while E5000 is warmer and natural sounding. So it’s typical BA verses typical dynamic driver.

Jan 8, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #778 of 877
Having owned both, the MD+ imo is more technical where as the E5000 sounds more emotional. The E5000 has much more sub-bass with rolled off highs and has very sweet vocals. The MD sounds kind of diffused field meaning it feels like the sound envelops you from the outside rather from speakers much like how you hear things in real life (surround). It’s also kind of flat with a bit of a bass boost. Its comfort and fit is far superior to th E5000 though. E5000 requires gobbles of power and volume to sound its best whereas the MD does not scale as well with power. Very different beasts as someone here mentioned.

Jan 8, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #779 of 877
Having owned both, the MD+ imo is more technical where as the E5000 sounds more emotional. The E5000 has much more sub-bass with rolled off highs and has very sweet vocals. The MD sounds kind of diffused field meaning it feels like the sound envelops you from the outside rather from speakers much like how you hear things in real life (surround). It’s also kind of flat with a bit of a bass boost. Its comfort and fit is far superior to th E5000 though. E5000 requires gobbles of power and volume to sound its best whereas the MD does not scale as well with power. Very different beasts as someone here mentioned.
Thank you very much. Exactly the kind of feedback I was seeking. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back