Massdrop PLUS Universal IEM
Jun 12, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #511 of 877
Definitely interested to know what cable you're using also
Go to Penonaudio and search for "2-Pin 0.78mm Copper Mixed Silver-plated Upgrade Cable"

I'm using this custom-made cable with a 4.4mm connector with my WM1Z.
Good combination if you like a bit more life into drums, vocals and cymbals.

I use similarly made cables with my MMCX IEMs (Ibasso CB12 ou Ourart mixed cable) and I see no reason to spend more on cables.

Jun 12, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #512 of 877
Go to Penonaudio and search for "2-Pin 0.78mm Copper Mixed Silver-plated Upgrade Cable"

I'm using this custom-made cable with a 4.4mm connector with my WM1Z.
Good combination if you like a bit more life into drums, vocals and cymbals.

I use similarly made cables with my MMCX IEMs (Ibasso CB12 ou Ourart mixed cable) and I see no reason to spend more on cables.

Great! Just ordered it!

Thanks a lot!

Jun 13, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #513 of 877
This looks like an interesting universal with overwhelmingly positive feedback - too bad I currently don't have the funds to buy/test! These and the FLC8N seem to be the most promising $300-ish IEMs recently and since I swear by the FLC8S I'd definitely love to test them out. If someone would be willing to lend me a pair for testing or be willing to buy a pair that I use briefly (for testing) off me later on I'd love to give these a listen.

Jun 14, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #514 of 877
They get mostly positive feedback because they are competent at what they do, which is being quite flat with a tad of bass.
No big wow effect, but no irritating quirks either (no harshness, no big spike) and the ergonomy is very good, so the value proposition is fair and honest, despite all the idiots bashing ANY audio item costing over 200$ on Massdrop.

Jun 14, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #515 of 877
Just joined the family!
Sad part is, a part of the cable was caught between the case when it arrived. I assumed it was damaged.
Luckily I was able to get the Lune from Null-Audio.
I've also changed the tips to Crystalline Audio.

Freaking Good!

eHMCA66.jpg

Edit: Grammar.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #516 of 877
Just joined the family!
Sad part is, a part of the cable was caught between the case when it arrived. I assumed it was damaged.
Luckily I was able to get the Lune from Null-Audio.
I've also changed the tips to Crystalline Audio.

Freaking Good!

eHMCA66.jpg

Edit: Grammar.

The Null audio cable looks great, going to have to consider that. My MD+s are arriving on Saturday, can't wait! Hoping they run ok off of my Samsung Note 8 audio jack as using my FiiO Q1 MkII all the time is kind of a hassle. Waiting to determine that before deciding whether to invest in a 3.5mm or 2.5mm balanced cable.

Jun 14, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #517 of 877
The Null audio cable looks great, going to have to consider that. My MD+s are arriving on Saturday, can't wait! Hoping they run ok off of my Samsung Note 8 audio jack as using my FiiO Q1 MkII all the time is kind of a hassle. Waiting to determine that before deciding whether to invest in a 3.5mm or 2.5mm balanced cable.
Output impedance might be a a bit of a question mark with the note 8, some people report that the bass gets too thick for them with higher output impedance devices.
My MD+ should clear customs today so next week I can AB test with and without the ifi IEMatch which can bring it down to “<1Ohm” (their words) compared to the 2.5ohm stock output of my V20 and the goodness knows output of my iPad.

Jun 14, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #518 of 877
Output impedance might be a a bit of a question mark with the note 8, some people report that the bass gets too thick for them with higher output impedance devices.
My MD+ should clear customs today so next week I can AB test with and without the ifi IEMatch which can bring it down to “<1Ohm” (their words) compared to the 2.5ohm stock output of my V20 and the goodness knows output of my iPad.

That is my concern. I can't seem to find what the output impedance of the note 8 is, but I can't imagine it is <1ohm so I might be stuck using the Q1 MKII still. At least I will be able to compare the Q1, my note 8 and my jotunheim to see what sort of performance I can expect out of these. Fingers crossed my stock cable is functional, also have a 2.5mm balanced venture cable from massdrop on the way for testing purposes, but not coming until next month.

Excited to hear about your tests with the ifi IEMatch, I had not heard of that product.

Jun 14, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #519 of 877

Try one of those lightning to 3.5mm adapters on your iPad. Apparently it brings it down to <1Ohm.

Not sure if it’ll work with iPads though...it’s a iPhone 7+ thing.

Jun 14, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #520 of 877
Out of curiosity, does anyone know the output impedance of the LG V30 in Hi-Fi mode? I have been tricking it to go to High Impedance by using a short extension, 70Ohm attenuator adapter, then the MD+. Once it goes to High impendance, I just take the 75ohm adapter out and plug in the MD+ straight into the short extension. This retains the Hi-Fi on the V30

Jun 14, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #521 of 877
Try one of those lightning to 3.5mm adapters on your iPad. Apparently it brings it down to <1Ohm.

Not sure if it’ll work with iPads though...it’s a iPhone 7+ thing.
Mine’s a 5th gen, so it might be in scope to work with the dongle, although having the IEMatch does negate the need a little. I’ve been using it for a week or so now and I do think it’s made a difference to the dynamic range of the music I’ve been listening to, jury’s still out on the OI because I don’t have any IEMs with more than one balanced armiature driver in them (pretty sure the master and PM4 have a dual BA in a single enclosure so not sure if that counts.)

Jun 14, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #522 of 877
I've been using my MD+ together with my Poly+Mojo, iFi iDAC and Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 smartphone. The Poly comes out with the cleanest output being the Xiaomi the one that clearly boosts their subbass making them a tad too bassheads.

From my experience, the Zout from the sources must be definitely lower than 1Ohm.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #523 of 877
I have the LG V20 and I don't know what the OI is. So I'm just going to go ahead to use my iFi xDSD with the MD+ or when I have time to get the iFi IEMatch.

Interestingly, I can't really tell the difference when the MD+ is directly plugged to the V20 or when its plugged to the iFi xDSD. Perhaps I haven't tested enough or don't have a particular song I'm very familiar with.

Jun 15, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #524 of 877
I have the LG V20 and I don't know what the OI is. So I'm just going to go ahead to use my iFi xDSD with the MD+ or when I have time to get the iFi IEMatch.

Interestingly, I can't really tell the difference when the MD+ is directly plugged to the V20 or when its plugged to the iFi xDSD. Perhaps I haven't tested enough or don't have a particular song I'm very familiar with.
Someone on the V20 thread (on page eighty-something) measured it at 2.5Ohms, which is equivalent to the IEMatch in ‘High Sensitivity’ mode

Jun 15, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #525 of 877
Someone on the V20 thread (on page eighty-something) measured it at 2.5Ohms, which is equivalent to the IEMatch in ‘High Sensitivity’ mode

That's good to know!
Thanks for helping out with the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back