Massdrop PLUS Universal IEM
Jun 7, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #496 of 877
So of the stock tips, the foams seem to work the best for me, but I also ended up buying the Spinfit CP100-S (Should've gotten the CP155, but this works for now), and the Comply 400 Comfort +. The stock foams (size small) gives me the pretty good bass and slightly rolled treble for a bit smoother sound

To start things, I do like the Spinfit's bass extension. The fit is also fantastic!

I do notice the treble is brighter, a bit more forward in the midtone-treble (especially percussive hits), and there's even a bit of sibilance (or similar) brought back. The Comply is a tad too warm and the bass is not as good as the Spinfits. I do have the CP240-S coming in to compare. Should I also get the CP155 if I already have gotten my CP100 to fit? Would the CP155 with wider nozzle allow for the treble to step back a bit compared to the CP100?

I'm playing this off my LG V30 with Hi-Fi High Impedance mode enabled by tricking the phone with the 70 Ohm resistor plug

I suppose I can also get the Null Audio Arete III copper cable to roll of the treble a bit, too, right? If that works, then I may pair it with the SpinFit. What do you guys think? Also, is the Arete III worth getting over the Brevity?

https://www.null-audio.com/collections/iem-headphone-cable

As for the MD+, I'm really enjoying the sound and can even use a bit more bass at times. My right cable does pop off fairly easily, too, sadly. Hopefully the upgraded cable will fix things

Try the other stock silicone tips too. I find bass is ok on them and the treble is not too harsh or silibant.

Jun 8, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #498 of 877
The included foams are weirdly sticky. I'm going to put the difference down to individual ear acoustics vs. bass preference, bc if the combo was creating the same sound for you as it was me, I can't imagine you would have actually liked it even as a full-on bass head.

After additional testing, the "unlistenable" levels of bass experience I had with the included foam tips (and Comply comforts) was actually related to using the Ety ER4P to S convertor cable and the Dragonfly Red. Once removed, foam tips produced warmer signal w/ more bass, but all very listenable.

Jun 8, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #499 of 877
After additional testing, the "unlistenable" levels of bass experience I had with the included foam tips (and Comply comforts) was actually related to using the Ety ER4P to S convertor cable and the Dragonfly Red. Once removed, foam tips produced warmer signal w/ more bass, but all very listenable.

Ya the foams are great.

Jun 8, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #500 of 877
Just got my Spiral Dots (EP-FX9MS-B) and holy cow I just found the perfect earbud tips! The perfect seal, even better bass extension and impact than the Spinfit CP100 without its harsher treble and sibilance, and smooth treble. If anything, the mid/low-mid is slightly more relaxed, but only slightly. I still get excellent instrumental reproduction and sound stage. I also tried the CP155 and its bigger bore made the bass less pronounced than the CP100 and its fit is also not as good as the CP100.

So to summarize, my order of preference are:

JVC Spiral Dots
Spinfit CP100
Stock Foam
Spinfit CP155
Comply Comfort 400
Spinfit CP240 dual flange
Stock silicone
Stock dual flange

Playing on stock cable off of my LG V30 with Hi-Fi High Impedance enabled.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #502 of 877
Hi every1, can I confirm the loose connection is due to the cable problem or the iem shell itself ?
In other words, does changing another aftermarket cable completely solve the loose connection issue.
Thanks.
I would vouch for the iem connector itself.
I tried 3 cables and they all fit more loosely than with the other 2-pin IEMs that I own.

It's not VERY loose but I was surprised because you usually have to apply much more force when inserting a 2-pin cable (CustomArt Fibae ME for example).

Jun 11, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #505 of 877
I would vouch for the iem connector itself.
I tried 3 cables and they all fit more loosely than with the other 2-pin IEMs that I own.

It's not VERY loose but I was surprised because you usually have to apply much more force when inserting a 2-pin cable (CustomArt Fibae ME for example).

Interesting. My experience with 2-pins is very limited (Monk IE series) and those connectors seem neither tight nor loose, but they do stay together.

I just purchased this. I really hope I don't get a lemon.

You and I both.

Jun 11, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #508 of 877
I simply used a pure copper cable . It makes the mdp warmer. I'd try an spc or silver soon
With an 8-core hybrid (4 copper + 4spc), you get good bass extension + crisper treble, if you're after a more vivid experience.
With standard spc, it gets flatter indeed.

Jun 11, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #510 of 877
With an 8-core hybrid (4 copper + 4spc), you get good bass extension + crisper treble, if you're after a more vivid experience.
With standard spc, it gets flatter indeed.

Definitely interested to know what cable you're using also

Users who are viewing this thread

Back