Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #482 of 877

Attachments

• A3E679AC-AFDA-4713-8BE5-7A68AAE07F89.jpeg
    A3E679AC-AFDA-4713-8BE5-7A68AAE07F89.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #483 of 877
I’m not sure what’s up with the tuning of these IEMs, but I’ve been listening to them almost exclusively for the past week. My set up is just the stock cable + largest size of the stock wide bores.

They just sound so...pleasant. The sound is so resolving and flat with the right amount of boosted bass. Easy for long listening periods. The fit and isolation are great too. Is it the diffuse field tuning? This must be my first experience with it. I bought these based on crinacle’s IEM ranking list but I didn’t expect them to be this good especially for the price.
Mine have really grown on me as they've broken in and I'm now thinking of selling my U8s. I think balance across the frequency spectrum would have to be the Massdrop Plus' greatest sonic strength, some may think they lack a touch of treble sparkle but as I'm sensitive to treble they suit me fine. Soundstage width is good too, although depth could be improved. With the right cable upgrade they could be completely satisfying even for audiophiles who like to nitpick.

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #484 of 877
Im also really loving these, paired with the Earstudio Es100 bluetooth amp it sounds really wonderful. The medium double flange seems to be working the best for me, I'm also waiting for a pair of Spinfit CP155.

Now I just want the stock 2,5 mm cable, but in a shorter version for my bluetooth amp... :frowning2:

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #485 of 877
Since my stock cable was DOA I ordered this cable from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012P3UW48/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
It arrived today and it works but I'm having trouble determining if I have the pins inserted correctly to provide the correct phase.
The pins on this cable do not have a notch, they are actually just smaller and plug right in, but since the rectangular portion is just smaller they plug in in both orientations.
Each plug has a red and blue dot on one side as you can see in the product photo. I am assuming this is the positive side.
If that is the case, what way should the positive side face when plugging them into the MD+? With the dot more toward the tips or away from the tips?

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #486 of 877
Since my stock cable was DOA I ordered this cable from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012P3UW48/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
It arrived today and it works but I'm having trouble determining if I have the pins inserted correctly to provide the correct phase.
The pins on this cable do not have a notch, they are actually just smaller and plug right in, but since the rectangular portion is just smaller they plug in in both orientations.
Each plug has a red and blue dot on one side as you can see in the product photo. I am assuming this is the positive side.
If that is the case, what way should the positive side face when plugging them into the MD+? With the dot more toward the tips or away from the tips?
No need to make this difficult, red dot is right cable, blue dot is left cable, insert them, if you hear nothing unusual, you win.
If you hear left/right unbalance, you need to reverse the connector on one side and the phase will now be the same on both sides.

Jun 6, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #487 of 877
I really want to pick these up as an upgrade to my PXs (currently driven by the FiiO Q1 MkII), but am really worried about all this talk about loose connectors and bad cables in this recent batch. Also wanted the balanced cable which seems to be out of stock. @CEE TEE is this a widespread issue? I want to order before these are out of stock, but wonder if I need to hold off until these issues are addressed...

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #488 of 877
Heck, even without the cable they're worth it. I'd gladly pay like $399 if they came with like the Ares II cable or something better. Basically just buy a new cable.

Jun 6, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #489 of 877
Heck, even without the cable they're worth it. I'd gladly pay like $399 if they came with like the Ares II cable or something better. Basically just buy a new cable.

It is disappointing that one has to do that just to get them working out of the box. Third-party cable was the next thing I ordered after buying the Plus though, couldn't be bothered dealing with the stock cable if it was this unreliable. If people are handy with a soldering iron (and presumably a microscope) you could reterminate the stock cable. Plus Sound and Toxic cables both make 2-pin connectors available for DIYers to purchase. I will probably do that at some stage but I was too PO'd about the cable situation to think of it before buying a whole replacement cable.

Glad you're having a positive experience with these IEMs though @Colors, gives me hope for when mine FINALLY turn up (not Massdrop's fault, NZPost are using the slowest boat on the sea)

EDIT3: And now the boat has docked and Customs want more money. Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #490 of 877
So of the stock tips, the foams seem to work the best for me, but I also ended up buying the Spinfit CP100-S (Should've gotten the CP155, but this works for now), and the Comply 400 Comfort +. The stock foams (size small) gives me the pretty good bass and slightly rolled treble for a bit smoother sound

To start things, I do like the Spinfit's bass extension. The fit is also fantastic!

I do notice the treble is brighter, a bit more forward in the midtone-treble (especially percussive hits), and there's even a bit of sibilance (or similar) brought back. The Comply is a tad too warm and the bass is not as good as the Spinfits. I do have the CP240-S coming in to compare. Should I also get the CP155 if I already have gotten my CP100 to fit? Would the CP155 with wider nozzle allow for the treble to step back a bit compared to the CP100?

I'm playing this off my LG V30 with Hi-Fi High Impedance mode enabled by tricking the phone with the 70 Ohm resistor plug

I suppose I can also get the Null Audio Arete III copper cable to roll of the treble a bit, too, right? If that works, then I may pair it with the SpinFit. What do you guys think? Also, is the Arete III worth getting over the Brevity?

https://www.null-audio.com/collections/iem-headphone-cable

As for the MD+, I'm really enjoying the sound and can even use a bit more bass at times. My right cable does pop off fairly easily, too, sadly. Hopefully the upgraded cable will fix things

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #491 of 877
So of the stock tips, the foams seem to work the best for me, but I also ended up buying the Spinfit CP100-S (Should've gotten the CP155, but this works for now), and the Comply 400 Comfort +. The stock foams (size small) gives me the pretty good bass and slightly rolled treble for a bit smoother sound

To start things, I do like the Spinfit's bass extension. The fit is also fantastic!

I do notice the treble is brighter, a bit more forward in the midtone-treble (especially percussive hits), and there's even a bit of sibilance (or similar) brought back. The Comply is a tad too warm and the bass is not as good as the Spinfits. I do have the CP240-S coming in to compare. Should I also get the CP155 if I already have gotten my CP100 to fit? Would the CP155 with wider nozzle allow for the treble to step back a bit compared to the CP100?

I'm playing this off my LG V30 with Hi-Fi High Impedance mode enabled by tricking the phone with the 70 Ohm resistor plug

I suppose I can also get the Null Audio Arete III copper cable to roll of the treble a bit, too, right? If that works, then I may pair it with the SpinFit. What do you guys think? Also, is the Arete III worth getting over the Brevity?

https://www.null-audio.com/collections/iem-headphone-cable

As for the MD+, I'm really enjoying the sound and can even use a bit more bass at times. My right cable does pop off fairly easily, too, sadly. Hopefully the upgraded cable will fix things

From this thread, seems like spc is preferred

Jun 7, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #492 of 877
Silver Plated Copper? Which ones do you recommend?

Jun 7, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #493 of 877
I've just bought this one... Recommended by other HiFi Forums's members I chat with...

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/****...231.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.399263c0o8eAs5

Jun 7, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #494 of 877
Oh nice, did you already received it? Would love to hear your thoughts on it before I buy it. For me, the SpinFit does make everything sounds a bit forward and crisper, so I wonder if I should still get a copper cable to roll it back a bit.

Jun 7, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #495 of 877
No... Just pulled the tirgger some minutes ago, but reviews from other HiFi Forum members in Spain are really positive. Comfort and Microphonics-wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back