Massdrop PLUS Universal IEM
Jun 4, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #467 of 877
You've probably already tried this, but just in case: double check the connection to the earpieces. Mine are a bit loose and I've had them both pop out and sometimes pull apart just enough to kill sound from that earpiece.

Jun 4, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #468 of 877
You've probably already tried this, but just in case: double check the connection to the earpieces. Mine are a bit loose and I've had them both pop out and sometimes pull apart just enough to kill sound from that earpiece.
Surprisingly, both of my iem to cable connections are quite tight out of the box (I'd been preparing myself to use some silver tape as a "gasket"), unlike for other people. So definitely not that factor.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #469 of 877
As a long time Etymotic owner (HF3's and now ERPT) I was intrigued by Massdrop's stated goals for the MD+ and the reviews elsewhere. I love the slap-you-in-the-face clarity Ety's offer, but they are not all-arounders and are not the most comfortable. I ordered a pair of the MD+ in the current drop and received them last week.

First impressions:
  • Unbelievable Comfort: I never had the same comfort problem others have with Ety's, so take this with grain of salt: The raves about MD+ comfort are FULLY JUSTIFIED! Fit is fantastic, and unlike Ety's I can wear these comfortably in bed or with head propped up on a pillow while reading. They disappear in your ears after a few mins of listening.
  • Great Soundstage: Compared to the ER4PT, MB+ has a much wider soundstage
  • Bass VERY Tip Dependent: I'm a big fan of the foam tips for the ER4PT due to comfort & they don't create ear pressure issues for me when flying. I also don't find major differences between foamies & triple flanges on sound with ER4. So I started with the included foams for the MD+ and I found them nearly unlistenable. The promised bass bump was instead overwhelming. Voices and guitars were nearly unintelligible beneath the bass bloat. Trying some Comply Comfort tips, the problem was even worse. THE GOOD NEWS - The MD+ were completely different with the supplied the dual flanges despite a good/not great seal. I could finally hear a bit of what everyone was raving about. I've ordered compatible spiral dots and spin fits to see if I can achieve the elusive perfect seal.
Over the next week, I hope to write up a full comparison of the MD+ to the ER4PT's. From what I've heard so far, I'm really impressed.

Jun 4, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #471 of 877
What particular models have you ordered?

Your sizing my vary, but the medium sized tips I've used on shallower sealing IEMs were too big on with MD+ so I ordered:

Spin Fit CP100-S (single flange) & CP240-S (double flange)

Spiral Dot - JVC EP-FX9MS-B (medium/small)

Jun 4, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #472 of 877
As a long time Etymotic owner (HF3's and now ERPT) I was intrigued by Massdrop's stated goals for the MD+ and the reviews elsewhere. I love the slap-you-in-the-face clarity Ety's offer, but they are not all-arounders and are not the most comfortable. I ordered a pair of the MD+ in the current drop and received them last week.
First impressions:
  • Unbelievable Comfort: I never had the same comfort problem others have with Ety's, so take this with grain of salt: The raves about MD+ comfort are FULLY JUSTIFIED! Fit is fantastic, and unlike Ety's I can wear these comfortably in bed or with head propped up on a pillow while reading. They disappear in your ears after a few mins of listening.
  • Great Soundstage: Compared to the ER4PT, MB+ has a much wider soundstage
  • Bass VERY Tip Dependent: I'm a big fan of the foam tips for the ER4PT due to comfort & they don't create ear pressure issues for me when flying. I also don't find major differences between foamies & triple flanges on sound with ER4. So I started with the included foams for the MD+ and I found them nearly unlistenable. The promised bass bump was instead overwhelming. Voices and guitars were nearly unintelligible beneath the bass bloat. Trying some Comply Comfort tips, the problem was even worse. THE GOOD NEWS - The MD+ were completely different with the supplied the dual flanges despite a good/not great seal. I could finally hear a bit of what everyone was raving about. I've ordered compatible spiral dots and spin fits to see if I can achieve the elusive perfect seal.
Over the next week, I hope to write up a full comparison of the MD+ to the ER4PT's. From what I've heard so far, I'm really impressed.

The stock dual fangles (wide bores) I find give the best sound. I actually achieve a pretty good seal with the largest size. The included stock foam tips are good too.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #473 of 877
Disagree about foam tips - they are atrocious, some cheap chinese comply knock-off. Sticky like a play-dough, fragile, manageable to put on, but absolutely impossible to dis-attach without ruining a tip a little. They should've gone with complys.

Jun 4, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #474 of 877
Disagree about foam tips - they are atrocious, some cheap chinese comply knock-off. Sticky like a play-dough, fragile, manageable to put on, but absolutely impossible to dis-attach without ruining a tip a little. They should've gone with complys.

I agree with fragile as they started to tear off just from putting them on but they did sound pretty good for the short life span I had with them haha. I guess our preference for bass is different.

Jun 5, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #476 of 877

Did you manage to solve the issue of loose cable connection to earpiece?
Cable pop out from earpiece to kill sound seems to be quite a big issue man...

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #478 of 877
Did you manage to solve the issue of loose cable connection to earpiece?
Cable pop out from earpiece to kill sound seems to be quite a big issue man...
It's happened a couple of times primarily after switching between different cables. They aren't the most secure connections I've seen, but I think it's at least 50% user error and so I'm not sure it's really a big issue yet. Will let you know if that changes.

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #479 of 877
I agree with fragile as they started to tear off just from putting them on but they did sound pretty good for the short life span I had with them haha. I guess our preference for bass is different.
The included foams are weirdly sticky. I'm going to put the difference down to individual ear acoustics vs. bass preference, bc if the combo was creating the same sound for you as it was me, I can't imagine you would have actually liked it even as a full-on bass head.

Jun 5, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #480 of 877
I’m not sure what’s up with the tuning of these IEMs, but I’ve been listening to them almost exclusively for the past week. My set up is just the stock cable + largest size of the stock wide bores.

They just sound so...pleasant. The sound is so resolving and flat with the right amount of boosted bass. Easy for long listening periods. The fit and isolation are great too. Is it the diffuse field tuning? This must be my first experience with it. I bought these based on crinacle’s IEM ranking list but I didn’t expect them to be this good especially for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back