Massdrop PLUS Universal IEM
Jun 19, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #541 of 877
Jun 19, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #542 of 877
So I just got mine and I'm not sure I'm liking it that much over the stock cable during my initial listening. I'd have listen to it more and more. The bass didn't really improve, but the treble is a bit more relaxed and the mid sounds a bit more lazy and more muddled. Also, vocals seems to be more forward and and the soundstage seems a bit more narrow, too. If anything, listening with it seems more "tiring".

I'd have to see how I feel tomorrow if my reaction is different listening on my LG V30 with Hi-Fi High Impedance mode enabled.

The build quality is definitely an improvement over the stock and the 2-pins are much more secure. No microphonics, and despite the cable not being memory cable, it is soft and relatively easy to fold over your ear. In fact, it seems to be less noticeable than the originals.

I hope the sound will improve after further listening.

Also, mine came in a plain brown box instead of the blue box or the retail box, and I bought it straight from the manufacturer's website. Did you guys also get the brown box?

https://penonaudio.com/accessories/...copper-mixed-silver-plated-upgrade-cable.htmlhttps://penonaudio.com/accessories/...copper-mixed-silver-plated-upgrade-cable.html

Hi,

Nope. This is very normal.

I got my stuff from PenonAudio in very minimalist packaging too (I ordered a Lightning to MicroUSB cable and it literally came in a small clear plastic bag). I believe they do this minimize their own shipping costs. I’ve ordered twice and I have the same sender address as you too.

So far I’ve gotten a IBasso IT01 and some cables from them (they even gave me a free earphone case for their anniversary, just add it in the cart on the website). No problems so far and fast communication and fast/free shipping considering they’re located in HK.

Also I find the MD+ already sounds very good with the stock cable. It’s very sensitive to cable and source changes as I noticed when switching to my Ares II cable (more bass, more narrow soundstage) and Cayin N5ii.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #543 of 877
Got my MD+ today. First impression is that I really like them, and while they didn't totally blow me out of the water in any specific area yet, it's like they took everything I like in my other IEMs and combined all the best qualities into one package. I really can't fault anything about the Plus so far. My other IEMs I have experience with are the Mee Pinnacle PX, the Noble X, the TFZ series 5 and my since departed HiFiMan RE-600. Subbass is fantastic though not the tightest, mids are clear and detailed (anyone else find vocals incredibly forward though?) and highs don't have all that much sparkle, but I find it to have good energy, much more than my TFZ or Noble X. Soundstage and imaging are pretty damn good. Comfort, fit and isolation are all top notch!

Of note, they sound fine straight out of my V20 with its supposed 2.5 Ohm OI, I tried them out of my Fiio E18 which apparently has < 1 Ohm OI and I really couldn't tell a difference. I also popped some Mee Audio triple flanges from my Pinnacle onto them (I absolutely find the Mee tips to be a panacea for all my ear cushion woes).

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #544 of 877
Got my MD+ today. First impression is that I really like them, and while they didn't totally blow me out of the water in any specific area yet, it's like they took everything I like in my other IEMs and combined all the best qualities into one package. I really can't fault anything about the Plus so far. My other IEMs I have experience with are the Mee Pinnacle PX, the Noble X, the TFZ series 5 and my since departed HiFiMan RE-600. Subbass is fantastic though not the tightest, mids are clear and detailed (anyone else find vocals incredibly forward though?) and highs don't have all that much sparkle, but I find it to have good energy, much more than my TFZ or Noble X. Soundstage and imaging are pretty damn good. Comfort, fit and isolation are all top notch!

Of note, they sound fine straight out of my V20 with its supposed 2.5 Ohm OI, I tried them out of my Fiio E18 which apparently has < 1 Ohm OI and I really couldn't tell a difference. Also, I popped some Mee Audio triple flanges from my Pinnacle onto them (I absolutely find the Mee tips to be a panacea for all my ear cushion woes).

I find the MD+ to do nothing particularly well and also have no particular faults. Great value for $299. It achieved what the ER4XR could not I think. Neutral with the right amount of bass.

Jun 20, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #545 of 877
How would you guys compare the Massdrop Plus to the Rose BR5 MKII

https://penonaudio.com/rose-br5-mkii.html

BR5%20MKII%20(2)-700x700.JPG

and FLC Technology FLC8n/8s/8d?

http://www.flctechnology.com/en/col.jsp?id=122

ABUIABACGAAg0pug0wUomLmzvgMwoAY4hwU.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #546 of 877

Of note, they sound fine straight out of my V20 with its supposed 2.5 Ohm OI, I tried them out of my Fiio E18 which apparently has < 1 Ohm OI and I really couldn't tell a difference. I also popped some Mee Audio triple flanges from my Pinnacle onto them (I absolutely find the Mee tips to be a panacea for all my ear cushion woes).
I also find the Massdrop Plus midrange is a little shouty, which can be slightly fatiguing on some albums. It does work well for aggressive genres like rock music though, overall I'd call it a fairly minor gripe. A little more treble presence would be nice but then the risk of sibiliance is run. Overall Massdrop did a fantastic job, especially on the amazing ergonomics.

Jun 20, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #547 of 877
I also find the Massdrop Plus midrange is a little shouty, which can be slightly fatiguing on some albums. It does work well for aggressive genres like rock music though, overall I'd call it a fairly minor gripe. A little more treble presence would be nice but then the risk of sibiliance is run. Overall Massdrop did a fantastic job, especially on the amazing ergonomics.

MD+ and Rock = <3

Jun 21, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #548 of 877
(anyone else find vocals incredibly forward though?)

Of note, they sound fine straight out of my V20 with its supposed 2.5 Ohm OI.

I have also found the mids to be fairly forward, not as bad as the VE Smalls but on some songs the whole mid band stands front and centre. Kings of Leon’s ‘Arizona’ is a good example.

I haven’t yet tried the Plus straight out of my V20, that might be the go tonight when I get some downtime :)

Jun 21, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #549 of 877
I have also found the mids to be fairly forward, not as bad as the VE Smalls but on some songs the whole mid band stands front and centre. Kings of Leon’s ‘Arizona’ is a good example.

I haven’t yet tried the Plus straight out of my V20, that might be the go tonight when I get some downtime :)

Please let me know how the V20 session goes. I want to make sure I'm hearing things correctly and it isn't all just because I have a less than refined audio palate, so to speak.

Jun 21, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #550 of 877
I listen on my MD+ through my My LG V30 with the High Impedance mode enabled and together with Jvc Spin Fit, the md+ sounds great!

Jun 21, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #551 of 877
Please let me know how the V20 session goes. I want to make sure I'm hearing things correctly and it isn't all just because I have a less than refined audio palate, so to speak.

I listened to some Lusine ICL which had exquisite detail and some pleasant but not overbearing low-end. If you want to compare apples and apples, let me know what songs you’ve been listening to and I’ll give them a whirl :ksc75smile:

Jun 21, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #552 of 877
I listened to some Lusine ICL which had exquisite detail and some pleasant but not overbearing low-end. If you want to compare apples and apples, let me know what songs you’ve been listening to and I’ll give them a whirl :ksc75smile:
Thanks for offering to do some request listens, but all I really want to know is if it was audibly different between straight out of the v20 vis a vis your iematch at ultra? I thought you mentioned IEMatch earlier in the thread. Or a low impedance source. I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #553 of 877
MD+ pairs very well with V20 in my opinion, it provides solid bass and a smooth higher end. Bass lovers can even use the bass EQ preset to get a bit more "humph".
I actually ike this pairing better than when paired with WM1Z (even using the balanced output).

I didn't find the vocals particularly forward neither backwards, there may be a slight peak to make them stand out, but it doesn't make them shouty with my sources, unless you prefer VERY laid-back signatures.

Jun 21, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #554 of 877
My Mee triple flanges kept slipping off (I must have gotten some skin oil in the stem) so I tried the large dual flange ones that came with the plus. Bass level decreased and it honestly sounded more like my PX when it has proper isolation. Not bass shy but not exactly exciting bass. Mids didn't sound anywhere near as forward anymore. But the comfort was amazing. I then popped on the Mee double flanges which are a bit longer than the MD ones and have a narrower bore. It sounds to me exactly like with the Mee triple flange, but is considerably more comfortable. A nice balance between the other 2 sets of tips.

Jun 21, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #555 of 877
I highly suggest the Jvc Spiral Dots. The Spin fits are also a good alternative

Users who are viewing this thread

Back