Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 17, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #7,606 of 48,568
Who the hell thought that was a smart idea?

Well...the only way to get Dolby Digital through it is to buy one of those Monoprice HDMI switchers that have an optical out, and plug that to the Mixamp/etc. That or receivers with optical outs (assuming they are bypass out and not converted to PCM).

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2

As if the Wii U wasn't already expensive enough. :rolleyes:

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #7,607 of 48,568
The Wii U doesn't have S/PDIF output after all? Damn it!

If the games transmit their audio as 8-channel PCM over HDMI, then it's not like they can just downconvert it to Dolby Digital or DTS whenever it hits an S/PDIF passthrough. This could be bad for all of us without the money for a Smyth Realiser A8.

I really hope that the Wii U works with HDMI-equipped capture cards without any HDCP crap getting in the way of things so that I could get some semblance of surround by using CMSS-3D Headphone on my PC. (And I could even record my gameplay, on top of that!)

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #7,609 of 48,568
Quote:
Can't an H/R receiver turn 8 channel PCM to Dolby headphone?   

Depends on the receiver, I like Yamaha because they all come with Silent Cinema, Yamahas own in house (non-Dolby) headphone surround sound.

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #7,610 of 48,568
That's not what he means. He means if there is a receiver that converts a PCM signal into PROPER Dolby Headphone, meaning the PCM signals needs to be converted to Dolby Digital first.

You can send a multi channel PCM signal to a DH device like the Mixamp, but it won't convert to DH properly. It will downconvert to stereo PCM, and just be a wrongly processed stereo signal.

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #7,611 of 48,568
If I had the funds for one of the Harmon Kardon AVR 254/354 receivers (which support Dolby Headphone and have plenty of HDMI inputs), then this wouldn't be a problem.

Problem is, they're a bit on the expensive side, not to mention quite heavy and bulky for something I'd only be using headphones on, and I obviously can't afford them right now. (And the speaker amp part does me no good considering that it's not going to output DH-processed audio over the front left/right channels, meaning no DH for my Stax.)

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #7,612 of 48,568
Ok, so I'm play the Resident Evil 6 demo, great positional audio so far. Like REALLY good.

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #7,613 of 48,568
It's out? :O Need to test asap. 

nvm, it's too early in Europe right now. :D

Sep 18, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #7,614 of 48,568
Quote:
Ok, so I'm play the Resident Evil 6 demo, great positional audio so far. Like REALLY good.

Dangit, my account xbox account just went silver and Micro$oft won't let me download any demos.

I like the MT framework engine though.  Dead rising 1/2 had good positional audio.

Sep 18, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #7,615 of 48,568
Dangit, my account xbox account just went silver and Micro$oft won't let me download any demos.

I like the MT framework engine though.  Dead rising 1/2 had good positional audio.

Yeah, it's a very good looking game. What's funny, is that I've only played through ONE RE game (Code Veronica back in the Dreamcast gdays). I couldn't stand the tank control scheme. It's a shame, because i absolutely LOVE to watch it (saw a friend play through RE2).

I was so glad when RE4 came out and changed the control scheme to something more logical. For some reason, I still couldn't play RE5. Something about the controls didn't feel right.

RE6's controls didn't feel perfect. Still something I can't quite get completely. :rolleyes:

I do think it's gonna be the first RE game I will play fully in over ten years.

Sep 18, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #7,616 of 48,568
Quote:
Yeah, it's a very good looking game. What's funny, is that I've only played through ONE RE game (Code Veronica back in the Dreamcast gdays). I couldn't stand the tank control scheme. It's a shame, because i absolutely LOVE to watch it (saw a friend play through RE2).
I was so glad when RE4 came out and changed the control scheme to something more logical. For some reason, I still couldn't play RE5. Something about the controls didn't feel right.
RE6's controls didn't feel perfect. Still something I can't quite get completely.
rolleyes.gif

I do think it's gonna be the first RE game I will play fully in over ten years.

I thought RE5 controls felt similar to RE4. 
confused.gif
  They were a bit faster/tighter in RE5 I think.

I'm pretty sure the controls are unresponsive on purpose to make up for the fact that the enemies are usually pretty slow and usually have to come in for melee attacks on you. 

RE games are more like action blockbusters now then survival horror, but I still love them.  If you want survival horror, look at a different franchise - or better yet some PC games.  RE5 was awesome - as an action/co-op game.  I love Capcom's campy dialogue and cutscenes.  The RE games have very high production values.

And does anyone else love when games use a real orchestra for the soundtrack?  I do
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #7,618 of 48,568
Quote:
I couldnt play RE4 either, lol. I love real orchestrated music!

You should play them.  It takes a while to get used to the controls, but it's worth it.

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #7,620 of 48,568
I lol'd. I love Conan. XD

I forgot I went to sleep before doing Jake's demo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back