Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 12, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #7,531 of 48,566
Why am I enjoying the KSC75 soo much? I'm returning my K550 and A900X. Until I find headphones that blow me away, I'll use these wickedly impressive little things. 

EDIT: I know what it is I'm loving about them: Fantastic separation and a surprising soundstage. Does anyone else get that? I guess that is what I am looking for in a headphone. So the Q701 is sounding more and more like an option. Anything with better separation and soundstage?

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #7,532 of 48,566
Glad you like them! The KSC75s are my personal favorite budget headphones currently. If you like their sound I'd recommend checking out the Q701s. But also take your time. If you love the KSC75, why spend the extra money? No need to upgrade right away unless you feel them lacking. There's a HUGE difference in overall sound from those to the Qs to my ear. And to me it was worth the difference, but I can't let my little Koss go. They're my go-to portable for soundstage.

For bigger soundstage, there are some out there. But I like the distance that the Q701 gives. Not too big, not too small. For me it's just right. And I know Chico and MLE would agree with that as well.

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #7,533 of 48,566
Quote:
Keep in mind MLE mentions many times that the scores he gives aren't to be used in direct comparison with each other, but rather an objective number as to how well the HP compares in that aspect of its use (ie: competitive, fun, ect.) If you liked the sound qualities of the AX720 headset then I would say that you might be let down with the AD700. I wouldn't say that the AX720 has "good" bass, but it is quite plentiful. Going to a HP that has been described with "anemic" bass would be a mistake IMHO (...but I have no idea what you're looking for). After owning the AX720, and having auditioned the AD900, I would say that they two completely different beasts.... although the AD900s were superior in every aspect except for how much bass is throws out. The quality of bass was better, and had much better definition, but little to no impact. I've read that the AD700s have even less. 

Having already owned two headsets you should have a pretty good idea of what characteristics (bass, mids, highs, soundstage ect.) you're looking for and listing them will help the community in suggesting what HPs to check out/research further. 

Okay i see. 
What im looking for is a headset that works great for competative gaming, and also just for great sound. I would like sound quality wise, or bass, a bit better than the ax720. I cant really compare the a40s with ax720s, except that the sound for the a40 is much better, the bass is a bit weird at first, but i can enjoy it. So pretty much something along the lines of a40 sound quality or better, but im looking for something with more imaging and pinpoint accuracy with the distance & location of sounds. 
My 3 headphones/headset i would consider are the Pc360, q701, or the DT990 Pro or Premium. Microphone isnt a big deal like i said before.

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #7,534 of 48,566
All three would blow those other headsets away, though the PC360 and Q701 shouldn't have that much more bass than the A40s. The A40s and AX720 are closed headphones (despite the A40s having the option to take off the tags, they still sound closed). Closed headphones will always present bass differently than open cans, with more presence, even if the impact was less.

The DT990 Premium would be my fave choice out of all of those, but they'll want amping. Q701 would come next, and they're even more picky with amps. The PC360 doesn't need an amp, and the bass is balanced, but not strong.

All three do great in positioning and soundstage.

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #7,535 of 48,566
Quote:
All three would blow those other headsets away, though the PC360 and Q701 shouldn't have that much more bass than the A40s. The A40s and AX720 are closed headphones (despite the A40s having the option to take off the tags, they still sound closed). Closed headphones will always present bass differently than open cans, with more presence, even if the impact was less.
The DT990 Premium would be my fave choice out of all of those, but they'll want amping. Q701 would come next, and they're even more picky with amps. The PC360 doesn't need an amp, and the bass is balanced, but not strong.
All three do great in positioning and soundstage.

My amp is the mixamp. i also use it on my computer, but i really dont know what soundcard i have. It just says HD Sound card lol.
As for my mixamp i hook it up to my xbox. The games i currently play the most are Dark souls, League of Legends, and mw3. Although im waiting on Black Ops 2. Im mostly considering the pc360, as long as they are equal or better to a40 sound. From what you're telling me id be happy with either pc360 or q701. As for strong bass, thats not really a big issue for me. If you could, what would you give the a40 headset on the fun level, and competitive level?

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #7,537 of 48,566
I can't give the A40s a rating because I owned the first gen A40, which sounds different from the newer ones. I didn't like the old A40 at all. Really hollow sound, small soundstage, and little bass. The PC360 walks all over the old A40s.

They were my first foray into headphone gaming, and I don't remember everything about them enough to give them a review.

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #7,538 of 48,566
Quote:
I'm tempted still to just get one of those $30 eBay DSS and work with that till I can afford a NICE amp like an O2 or M-Stage like chicolom has... but I'm still happy with my Mac sound solution.
frown.gif

$30 for a DSS is a good deal! 
Dang, I might pick one up again just to play with its bass boost...
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #7,539 of 48,566
are the audio technica ATH a700 any good for gaming?

Ho man, I heard those a looong time ago... Mostly all I can say firmly is I wasn't wowed by them, though I was by the AD700 that replaced them. Read my original AD700 review if you want impression on how the two compared. Every once in a while in my journey I look back and think of how magical the experience was and how content I was with my gear. Then, around the end of last year... I dunno, I got upgradeitis. Some of that attitude is still there though, I'm wondering how much I care about headphone surround and just get a nice amp for music - I mean for a long time headphone gaming lost out to the convenience of playing the game quiet on tv speakers, just because my ears get too sensitive to any irritant.

If you get AD700s for gaming, any future upgradeitis may be targeted for music as a compliment to the AD700, IMO.

Maybe I'm just jaded today...

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #7,540 of 48,566
$30 for a DSS is a good deal! 
Dang, I might pick one up again just to play with its bass boost... :evil:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turtle-Beach-Ear-Force-DSS-7-1-Surround-Sound-Processor-/251149375059?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item3a79ab5653

M-Stage or O2? Or little Dot I+?

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #7,541 of 48,566
Quote:
M-Stage or O2? Or little Dot I+?

Are you asking which amp I prefer?  Because I've only heard the M-stage.  I can't speak for any of the others, but people seem to like the O2 as well.

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #7,542 of 48,566
Just gave the Recon3D a good day's worth of gaming. BLOPS, ME3, and some demos.

I did exceptionally well in BLOPS. Not sure how much was the skill to sound whoring ratio, but I did well.

I still say it's Dolby Headphone Lite™.

So if you happen to own the Recon, you may not see Dolby Headphone as a revelation.

However, if you are coming from Dolby Headphone amps to the Recon, you will notice the shortcomings on the Recon (hard, inaccurate pannings, and weaker rear positional cues, as well as some inconsistent sound quality as if the Recon auto-EQs, not to mention the horrible Scout Mode that collapses the sound stage and adds mid range/upper mid emphasis...)

I feel I have enough experience with the Recon to form a listing on the guide. The SU-DH1 is more or less the same as the Mixamp with DTS decoding into Dolby Headphone, the addition of DH1 and DH3, and no chat capabilities.

I'll put the listings up sooner or later.

The Recond3D is pretty decent in it's THX mode despite some shortcomings, but I personally recommend saving up for a Mixamp Pro or AX720.

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #7,543 of 48,566
A bit random, but I realise that the question on double-amping comes up every now and then. We tend to accept it as a necessary evil, since devices like the MixAmp can struggle to achieve sufficient volume with our headphones like the Beyers and whatnot at 250+ Ohms.

Stumbled upon this post in the Objective2 thread that explains how, sometimes, double-amping can improve sound quality, not just quantity:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/568705/review-nwavguys-o2-diy-amplifier/1080#post_8150435

Y'know, in case anyone was curious.

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #7,545 of 48,566
No problem, Scylin. :)

For those in the US, the Best Buy website has the AX720 for $109 right now...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Tritton-Technologies---AX-720-Gaming-Audio-System-for-Xbox,-PS3-and-Mac/Windows/9466124.p?id=1218109500597&skuId=9466124

Pretty sure you get the newer AX720s, and not the ones shown.

If you do not have a Dolby Headphone device, you definitely should jump on this in a mad hurry. DH amp + decent headset (Gaming headset standards, not Head-fi standards) for $109 is seriously worth getting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back