Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 2, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #7,321 of 48,566
Quote:
How do you know when the optical cable is in far enough? It's really tough to get it in all the way, and I'm afraid of breaking the cable lol. Seems really tight on the HD component cable that came with my Xbox & the audio dongle I got to use with my HDMI to DVI cable.
Edit: oh. I've never used an optical cable before, I didn't realize the diffused plastic tip thingie was actually a cap. Hope I didn't break anything... glad I tried first with my $3 dongle than the $70 ($130) Recon3D.

It worst if you break those clear adapters instead the card. That happen once, and It sucked. I had to send the Bravura back to auzentech for them to fix. Since I couldn't get it out, that's how hard it was to remove. Mono price does have Optical to tos-link cables. that are thicker and harder to break. If you worried about that happening to you.

Sep 2, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #7,322 of 48,566
It worst if you break those clear adapters instead the card. That happen once, and It sucked. I had to send the Bravura back to auzentech for them to fix. Since I couldn't get it out, that's how hard it was to remove. Mono price does have Optical to tos-link cables. that are thicker and harder to break. If you worried about that happening to you.

Thank you for the reply.
Luckily, I realized that the objects I was talking about were protective caps, and I didn't have to force anything after removing them. Are you saying that the acrylic plastic caps that were covering the optical cable tips are also adapters? I thought they were just caps, like you get with new HDMI cables.

Sep 2, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #7,323 of 48,566
Nah not the caps that actual toslink adapter, I forgot the clear tos link adapters I have where forum when I had a Auzentech sound card. As there normally black.

Sep 2, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #7,324 of 48,566
DO NOT buy the big Monoprice optical cables. They can and will add stress/break your optical inputs. My original Mixamp and my soundbar's optical inputs broke because of those fancy cables. They are too heavy for the optical bays. Just buy basic optical cables.

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #7,325 of 48,566
@genclaymore

How do you like the A900X? I just purchased them because I got a fantastic price. I also have the AudioQuest DragonFly DAC/amp on the way because of another phenomenal deal. Have you compared the A900X to anything? How do they hold up for movies, gaming, and music in your opinion? 

Thanks!

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #7,327 of 48,566
Just, for everyone else...

DO NOT get these:

Get these, which are cheaper, more pliable, and won't add stress to your inputs...

Optical cables ALL sound exactly the same (information travels through light), so all you're paying for is for fancy sleeves and bulky connectors. The cheap cable is thick enough, with good strain reliefs. I've owned many, and they are all still with me. Can't say the same for the bulky one, which I tossed after it ruined my soundbar. I thought the Mixamp's input break was a freak accident. I was wrong.

Sep 2, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #7,328 of 48,566
Hi Guys,
Newbie here.
Ive been lurking for a long time, searching/reading about the best headphones for gaming.

I dont want to start a new thread thats why I posted here, maybe I could get some feedback.
Basically my choice has been narrowed down to Sennheiser HD558 or HD598.
Reading Mad Lust's recommendation, HD598 is excellent for gaming due to its great soundstage.

Anyway, if anyone has tried, how does it compare to HD558?
Before I pull the trigger on buying a new pair I just want to know if its worth it to spend extra bucks.

Headphones are really expensive here in my country.
Here are some of the prices.
ATH M50 (214 USD) I know this has bad soundstage
DT770 Pro80 (214 USD), I cant find these
ATH AD700 (238 USD), Im wondering why its really expensive.. XD
HD598 (310 USD)
HD558 (214 USD)
SRH 840 (214 USD)
SRH 440 (80 USD)

Help me decide guys, Im torn between the sennheisers. I will be using it mostly for gaming and a bit of music and movies.

Thanks alot!

Sep 2, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #7,329 of 48,566
Quote:
Basically my choice has been narrowed down to Sennheiser HD558 or HD598. Reading Mad Lust's recommendation, HD598 is excellent for gaming due to its great soundstage.

Anyway, if anyone has tried, how does it compare to HD558?
Before I pull the trigger on buying a new pair I just want to know if its worth it to spend extra bucks.

HD598 (310 USD)
HD558 (214 USD)

Help me decide guys, Im torn between the sennheisers. I will be using it mostly for gaming and a bit of music and movies.

Thanks alot!

Since there's almost a $100 price difference, I would have to say NO, it's not worth the extra $100 to get the HD598 over the HD558.  You can mod the HD558 to sound almost like the HD598.

Did you check the price of the Q701?  I'm guessing it's pretty expensive there...

Sep 2, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #7,331 of 48,566
Quote:
@genclaymore

How do you like the A900X? I just purchased them because I got a fantastic price. I also have the AudioQuest DragonFly DAC/amp on the way because of another phenomenal deal. Have you compared the A900X to anything? How do they hold up for movies, gaming, and music in your opinion? 

Thanks!

I enjoy the A900x very much, The last headphones I had before these was the DT880 pro-250s countless others which I don't have on hand since I sold them Thur the years. Only reason I moved from the DT880pro as I needed closed back headphones as it too noisy in my location.  I notice the vocals to me being better on these A900x, There were more things I notice. Other then the sound stage being big for a closed back headphone, of course its not big like the AKG 702s. But I don't fully recalled how the DT880 pro-250 completely sound to me.   They work very good for games to me,Tho I do use CMSS3D headphone from the X-FI Xtreme Gamer that I have plugged into my Audio-GD NFB -12 thru Spdif which I only used when I gaming.  But for music of course I use stereo, for music and movies I don't know how to explain it. I just know I enjoy them alot more then I did my DT880 pro-250 with music and movies.

Sep 2, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #7,333 of 48,566
Nope. It was the K272HD though. Sexier, though odd, since its more expensive then the 271 MKII, doesn't have a detachable cable, or spare pads. If looks weren't a factor, the 271 is a better buy.

Sep 2, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #7,334 of 48,566
Quote:
I enjoy the A900x very much, The last headphones I had before these was the DT880 pro-250s countless others which I don't have on hand since I sold them Thur the years. Only reason I moved from the DT880pro as I needed closed back headphones as it too noisy in my location.  I notice the vocals to me being better on these A900x, There were more things I notice. Other then the sound stage being big for a closed back headphone, of course its not big like the AKG 702s. But I don't fully recalled how the DT880 pro-250 completely sound to me.   They work very good for games to me,Tho I do use CMSS3D headphone from the X-FI Xtreme Gamer that I have plugged into my Audio-GD NFB -12 thru Spdif which I only used when I gaming.  But for music of course I use stereo, for music and movies I don't know how to explain it. I just know I enjoy them alot more then I did my DT880 pro-250 with music and movies.

I appreciate it. I wonder how the DT990 would compare. They will certainly have different sounds, but I wonder which I would prefer. My three other interests are in the DT990, AKG K550, and HD650. Isolation is proving fairly important, though. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #7,335 of 48,566
I am curious how the T1 and HD 800 would fare at gaming. I can imagine the T1 very well as the T90 seems rather close, but the HD 800? The king of soundstage, detail and separation. Very curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back