Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 15, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #42,856 of 48,562
How similar is the TH-X00 to the TH900? I miss having a big Fostex dynamic in the vein of the old Denons. Now with Dekoni selling hybrid pads for these, I would be interested in owning something like that again.
The sound signature is, unsurprisingly, incredibly similar. The mids seem less recessed on the X00 Ebony, but this appears to be because the treble and bass have both been wound back slightly when compared directly to the 900. With a touch of EQ on either of them, you could get them sounding incredibly close to one another, whichever way you prefer it. Again, not that I'm advocating for EQ - if you're dropping more than $500+ on a pair of headphones you should probably just choose ones you actually like the sound of to begin with. The 900 outstrips the X00 in technicalities, noticeably but marginally (after all, it's always a case of diminishing cost-value returns creeping this high in price). The most obvious difference was the size of the soundstage - I'd have kept the X00 Ebony if they were wider. Apparently the Mahogany and Purple Hearts are even narrower than the Ebony.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #42,857 of 48,562
Man, I really wish Denon D7000s were still around. Guess I can't ever fully escape the desire to have them again. I seriously don't think there ever will be anything like them ever again.

Sep 15, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #42,862 of 48,562
@Mad Lust Envy beyond the hefty headphones discussed often in this thread, are there any stand-out IEMs you think I should try that would tick the competitive and/or experiential gaming categories, which have a large soundstage?
I don't really like IEMs pretty much at all (comfort reasons), but I'd try the Audeze planars if simply because the tech interests me. I never would've imagined big drivers like that in IEM form. Check out their various isine line? I'm sure I could get Audeze to send me some, but it's hard for me to truly gauge IEMs. I don't feel confident in that space. I did manage to squeeze out the Creative IEM review, but it wasn't easy for my ears in terms of comfort.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #42,863 of 48,562
Interesting. I found the Massdrop Fostex derivates to compete only in tonality, tuning but not on the technical side. For instance the TH-900 never succumbed during very busy sections or passages, those however did leading to a certain Grießbrei experience. So while the default tuning of the TH-900 is kinda less agreeable for most than for instance the default tuning of the E-MU Teak or MD Ebony, the technical superiority is clear cut. Better separation, cleanliness, always above water when a lot of things happen. Jumpscary like ES 2 but in a good way.

TH-900 has 2 "flaws" at 400Hz (suckout) and 8khz (emphasized). You can fix those by EQ. Schiit Loki itself actually has a 400Hz and a 8Khz knob, very convenient. @omniweltall suggested it several times so I took the advice from him since I don't like to play with EQ APO anymore.
I wish there was a 8-band Super Loki by Schiit.

I had the D7000 for a few weeks and I while their bass volume was impressive, downright hilarious in a positive way, they couldn't compete with the TH-900. Aside from details, separation, clarity soundstage was less deep and spacious in comparison.
At its time/peak it was a great experience though so maybe its unfair to compare it to today's headphones which have evolved a bit from that base.

Still, some traits can still be very unique, so MLE has a great point. It's why I still love the HE-500 as it gives me an overall presentation and mids that I can't find elsewhere while being less technically capable than the HE-6, HD800, TH-900, Ananda etc...

Also, there's always some emotional value.

Sep 16, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #42,864 of 48,562
@Fegefeuer no doubt, the TH-900 trumps the X00 series on technicalities. Better bass extension, faster, better controlled, a seemingly blacker background, and so-on. Personally, I wouldn't say it's night-and-day, though, yet undeniably better in every area.

While the emphasis at 8k is noticeable - in fact, to my ear I'm hearing an over-emphasis as low as 4k - a 400Hz suckout hadn't become apparent to me. Are there any songs this would be particularly obvious with?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #42,865 of 48,562
The general idea is to give (male) voices or the lower range more linearity and "proper" fullness. Check this measurement for instanceand notice the suckout at around that range vs a more linear sounding headphone (at the same range) like the LCD-2

measurementsxjknb.png

Sep 16, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #42,866 of 48,562
I checked on the net, for the fps they all agree in saying that it is preferable to choose a better imaging rather than a better soundstage or at least find a compromise. What is my best option out there?
Now my choice is towards the ATH-AD700X, should I spend a little more and take the ATH-AD900X? Unfortunately they cost a lot more. If you had to choose one of the two would you recommend a sound card or a dac for the future? I want to be all right for a long time. What I'm looking for is excellent imaging. Thanks!

Sep 16, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #42,867 of 48,562
There are plenty reviews on the front page covering a lot of price brackets. How many did you read that you actually narrowed it down to two Audio Technica headphones? Did you omit K601, K701, K702 (AE), Q701, X2, DT990 etc.?

Sep 16, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #42,868 of 48,562
For what it’s worth, I subjectively found it very difficult to pinpoint player locations with my DT 1990 Pro. It’s been a long time since I wore the K702, but I recall them being very good in this regard. I recently owned the AD700X and found them great for imaging as well, albeit incredibly uncomfortable - their unique headband either works well for you, or it doesn’t at all.

Sep 16, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #42,869 of 48,562
The general idea is to give (male) voices or the lower range more linearity and "proper" fullness. Check this measurement for instanceand notice the suckout at around that range vs a more linear sounding headphone (at the same range) like the LCD-2

measurementsxjknb.png
Adjusting EQ at 500Hz and 5000Hz seem to have achieved the most positive shift, to my ear. I’ll do some research on foam/pad mods to achieve results in this vain, without EQ.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #42,870 of 48,562
There are plenty reviews on the front page covering a lot of price brackets. How many did you read that you actually narrowed it down to two Audio Technica headphones? Did you omit K601, K701, K702 (AE), Q701, X2, DT990 etc.?

yes I read all the reviews, I decided to move towards those with high marks in competitiveness, I gave up the k701-k702 because I read that they have a very good soundstage but mediocre in imaging. Many of the recommended ones are now out of production and are found at crazy prices.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back