Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 3, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #41,776 of 48,562
Yes the reciever does have an optical input. Yea sometimes the chat mix option isn’t there. I usually do have the option though.
Gotcha, if you have a PC near your Xbox, you can have it plugged into that by usb and use the Xbox app for chat. That’s what I do, as I like to be able to customize the G6 on the fly, the chat mixing options are also great.

Jan 4, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #41,779 of 48,562
Gotcha, if you have a PC near your Xbox, you can have it plugged into that by usb and use the Xbox app for chat. That’s what I do, as I like to be able to customize the G6 on the fly, the chat mixing options are also great.

Hey thanks for that idea i was trying to figure out how to get mic working on the xbox with a modmic 5 and dt 990. So i was looking at upgrading the modmic 5 to the modmic wireless this way i can connect to the pc and use the xbox app for chat. Just curious does the xbox app chat work for just general chat or ingame chat also like when playing sea of thieves.

thanks

Jan 4, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #41,780 of 48,562
Hey thanks for that idea i was trying to figure out how to get mic working on the xbox with a modmic 5 and dt 990. So i was looking at upgrading the modmic 5 to the modmic wireless this way i can connect to the pc and use the xbox app for chat. Just curious does the xbox app chat work for just general chat or ingame chat also like when playing sea of thieves.

thanks
I also use a modmic 5. As far as I know, it can’t work with in game chat. Just party chat. When I need game chat I plug the modmic into my controller with a Y adapter. I don’t get mic feedback or great mixing settings but it works well enough!

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #41,782 of 48,562
I wish lol. My gaming setup is in the living room for now. Once I setup a real gaming room this shouldn’t be too much of an issue
Dang, you could always try an hdmi to component adapter.. not ideal but it’s an option. Is having a laptop or desktop by you not doable with you setup?

Definitely not doable. I’m thinking about getting a portable dac/amp strong enough for the 250ohm 990’s. Been reading up and it seems like the FiiO e11 would be the bare minimum for these. Still looking to see what the better option for me is though. Bare minimum isn’t my style lol.

Jan 4, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #41,784 of 48,562
Kinda interested in Creative's new Super Xfi Bluetooth headset. I'll see about getting it from them to review.

Price looks good, and they look comfy.

This one they didn't even contact me. I'm legit interested in them, that I contacted them first.

https://en.creative.com/p/headphones-headsets/creative-sxfi-air

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #41,785 of 48,562
I like the Super X-Fi device. As a portable amp, it's pretty clean and the surround it's pretty awesome. I tested it on PC with a Dolby Atmos demo video and at some point I heard a bird flying behind my head perfectly. I usually don't get a good sense of rear cues with VSS. The problem with the Super X-Fi device is that PS4 (and Switch too?) does not output 5.1 over USB, only HDMI and optical. I need to spend some more time with it on PC so measure how good it is vs SBX and GSX 1000 VSS

Jan 4, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #41,786 of 48,562
...The problem with the Super X-Fi device is that PS4 (and Switch too?) does not output 5.1 over USB, only HDMI and optical...

I’m not computer savvy, but there has got to be a way to pass the Dolby 5.1 signal from the PS4 optical through a computer and out to the SX-Fi via USB. Not ideal in any way, but should be possible.

Anyone know how to do this?

Jan 4, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #41,787 of 48,562
I’m not computer savvy, but there has got to be a way to pass the Dolby 5.1 signal from the PS4 optical through a computer and out to the SX-Fi via USB. Not ideal in any way, but should be possible.

I'm also curious to see if anyone can come up with ideas. Will be happy to test if I have the right equipment.

Jan 4, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #41,788 of 48,562

I thought the same but it is not easy. You either have to spend thousands on a single piece of niche equipment or have a monstrosity of devices and wire mess. Basically you need a dolby-capable DAC and then a multi-channel ADC and then depending on the ADC output you might also need a converter. E.g. most multichannel analog to digital mixers use ADAT out not USB so you would need to convert that as well.

Not worth it in my opinion.

Jan 4, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #41,789 of 48,562
...Basically you need a dolby-capable DAC and then a multi-channel ADC and then depending on the ADC output you might also need a converter...

So there is no way to plug my optical cable from my PS4 into the computers optical “in” and then pass that signal back out via the computers USB to the SX-Fi amp?

Well crap!

Jan 4, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #41,790 of 48,562
So there is no way to plug my optical cable from my PS4 into the computers optical “in” and then pass that signal back out via the computers USB to the SX-Fi amp?

Well crap!
I don't think optical input with dolby decoding and USB out exists in a PC soundcard. And optical in is rare in PC soundcards these days it seems anyways. (I can't remember the last time I saw it on a motherboard, I don't think a mobo with optical input exists.)

Creative has a few options with one or the other but not the complete package. E.g. the SoundBlaster Z has optical input and Dolby encoding but no decoding. The X-Fi has dolby digital live decoding but no optical input. The Zx soundcard as optical input and dolby decoding but no USB out. (You can't use its optical out and then a USB converter as you cannot send 6 decoded PCM channels via optical.)

I suppose one loose end was I could never find out if you could take the optical in from the Zx, decode it with the software, and then somehow pump it back out via the motherboard's USB controller. Does anyone know the answer to that?

This is why the Smyth Realiser is such a big deal by the way. It does all this stuff AND has the best VSS.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back