Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 28, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #40,833 of 48,562
The G6 not having a loicense for DTS is a pity. I'll report about the G6 and consoles once it arrived.
I pondered about a X7 for weeks, this kinda saved me (hopefully), plus it takes less space.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #40,834 of 48,562
That's what I figured.

So with the G6 becoming the "X7 lite" (I'll come down off the ledge now, thanks MLE for confirming) is there any reason to own a G5? Seems like a redundant product now, since the E5 also exists and has more functionality. (Bluetooth, also has 7.1 SBX, portable...) E5 is the PC/portable virtual surround amp/DAC while the G6 is the not portable cheaper console virtual surround amp/DAC. The X7 is the granddaddy mini-receiver. G5 seems to not serve much purpose in the product line anymore.

It always was a little weird to me that they had the E5 and the G5.
G5 is what we hoped G6 would be

Aug 28, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #40,835 of 48,562
I remember us pondering about possible AC3 support for the G5 and contacting Creative about it. Then there was the issue of the worst SBX iteration of all products.
Most dissapointing Creative product ever.

Aug 28, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #40,836 of 48,562
The X7 wasn't that far away when it launched. Abysmal auto detection, unstable software and no native support for processing pass-through unless through a work around.
Some of these things were patched later but I still think it could have been more.
The G6 could have easily been what we all needed back then. Better later then never though!

Aug 28, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #40,839 of 48,562
Steelseries is now selling its gameDAC solo (no headphone required). Supposedly does DTSHeadphone X 2.0.

Not going to get me to upgrade from my X7 x Sparkos, but compelling.

Maybe not selling well enough as a package. Thought the unit was nice when I tried one but sounded poor to me - wonder if the headphones were holding it back? Might try one again with my own headphones now?

Aug 28, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #40,842 of 48,562
G6 is very tempting to me as someone who is looking into upgrading my audio setup and positional accuracy for games although I have a question that hopefully you guys can help with.

I currently have the AKG Q701 which are fairly hard to drive, I don't have a dedicated amp and my sound card is a Sound Blaster Audigy Fx which has a small amp (which is still unable to drive the Q701 to their fullest as I understand) and also provides me with SBX.

My question is this... Is the SBX from the G6 different/better than the one I currently have? Would the amp on the G6 be better suited to drive my Q701's? Because otherwise I was just going to buy a Schiit Magni 3 and just use the SBX on my sound card.

Aug 28, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #40,844 of 48,562
G6 is very tempting to me as someone who is looking into upgrading my audio setup and positional accuracy for games although I have a question that hopefully you guys can help with.

I currently have the AKG Q701 which are fairly hard to drive, I don't have a dedicated amp and my sound card is a Sound Blaster Audigy Fx which has a small amp (which is still unable to drive the Q701 to their fullest as I understand) and also provides me with SBX.

My question is this... Is the SBX from the G6 different/better than the one I currently have? Would the amp on the G6 be better suited to drive my Q701's? Because otherwise I was just going to buy a Schiit Magni 3 and just use the SBX on my sound card.
The amp on the g6 I assume has a more powerful amp so if you're not getting enough volume with the sound card then this may be a good upgrade.

Aug 28, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #40,845 of 48,562
G6 offers 7.1 for PC, your current card is 5.1. If that matters.

Can't speak to the amp section beyond Creative's marketing of it.
It doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back