Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 16, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #40,366 of 48,562
Just had a quick question - have been running a X7 with BT-W2 for PS4 gaming which was needed due to the headphones I had been using.

Two things have changed, my gaming is mainly One X based now (with voice chat needed) and I now have far easier to drive headphones/headset (Audio Technica ATH-ADG1X). I'm quite happy with the quality of Windows Sonic/Dolby Atmos via the pad and now feel the £300 Creative setup I have is overkill.

Wondered if running a Mixamp Pro TR with Dolby off would add anything quality wise compared to the controller audio. Headphones clearly sound better via the X7 than via the pad but need a much more lounge friendly voice chat set up (which is awful on the X1/X7 combo). While I appreciate the DAC/Amp of the Mixamp probably isn't all that, is it even a slight step up from the pad?

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #40,368 of 48,562
so which to buy Asus Strix Raid DLX and Asus Essence STX II 7.1 or Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 and which is the best?
and what is the difference between them?

this i am asking??

which to buy?? for games music and movies??
As you can see in my signature, I own the STX, the STX II is a marginal updated version. I can recommend it, it runs good under Windows XP/VISTA/7 and 10. It even worked fine under W XP64. I know that because I own it since it came out. The drivers evoled and are still good to go. I changed the Processor / mainboard regularly, but never the soundcard. It is that good. The other two I don't have and don't care about. I have my STX.

Jun 16, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #40,369 of 48,562
look i am not profecional music maker.. i am not music producer

as person i am looking one soundcard for to play games listening music and movies.

i dont know from SNR (and other technical values)

i want one soyncard to have good software

i want one from these souncards (asus Strix Raid DLX and Asus Essence STX II 7.1 and soynblaster AE-5) to be good in these 3 things play games listening music and movies

to have good drivers and support.

also i want one from these souncards (asus Strix Raid DLX and Asus Essence STX II 7.1 and soynblaster AE-5) for to use with headphones

also can you sugested me and one Amp for headphones ( i have now game zero headphones)

also i want to tell me what is your opinion about asus Strix Raid DLX

first i was thinking to buy asus Strix Raid DLX but some people told me that dlx is not good souncard and some people told me to buy soynblaster AE-5 and not asus Strix Raid DLX

but in the reviews of asus Strix Raid DLX it has positive such as soynblaster AE-5

some another people told me to buy Asus Essence STX II 7.1 and not soynblaster AE-5 and not asus Strix Raid DLX for games music and movies

so which of these 3 are the best?

also i want this soundcard and for my headphones but also and for my custom 5.1 speaker
which is
Denon AVR-X3400H
https://www.sevenoakssoundandvision....YaApWfEALw_wcB

SUBWOOFER:
SVS PB-2000
https://www.svsound.com/products/pb-2000

dali Zensor 3 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dali-570312.../dp/B00E0I7B14

SURROUND: Dali Zensor 1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dali-Zensor.../dp/B0057X5KF0

: Dali Zensor Vokal
https://www.whathifi.com/dali/263123/overview

Jun 17, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #40,370 of 48,562
2vuh3r7.jpg

Portapro wireless with drivers attached to the KSC75 clips = even more portable.

Koss should add thistas an option for people who want an alternative to KSC75s in wireless form. Wouldn't hurt to be like $30 cheaper. I assume a lot of the cost is the headband, since the Sportapro is like $25 cheaper than the regular Portapro despite having the same drivers.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #40,371 of 48,562
Hello everyone, firstly i want to thank you op and the others for that topic, it really helps, but i am still struggling on my final decision. The models i am thinking are DT 990, K612 Pro, HD 558/598. I will use the headphone i am going to buy on ps4 pro for mostly gaming but also for movies and music too. I play competetive gaming but i also play games that capture the person with its immersive visuals and audio like Horizon Zero Dawn, Witcher, Shadow of Colossus so i don't wanna lose to much on immersive audio for the sake of competetive gaming. I need something that can satisfy me on both sides. This will be my first expensive headphone, currently i have Koss PortaPro 25th Year Anni Edition and KZ ZS6. Can you guys make a suggestion?

Also i won't be able to spend money on a decent amp for couple of months at least, i am going to buy an amp that made by a local guy if i choose a headphone which is hard to drive. I am going to connect the amp to DS4 Controller. I will buy the mixamp later with a decent amp when i have the money. Can you check that local guy's amp for me and tell me if it is ok to use for a couple of months?

https://www.sahibinden.com/ilan/iki...i-kulaklik-amfisi-se-iii-yeni-254624253/detay

Its specs in English
1-16 Volt 1 Amper Adapter
2-3A5 NOS RCA American lamb
3-Powerful Capacitors
4-Vibrant sound
5-Great soundstage, fun bass and mids/treble that don't exhaust your ears
6-Korean made potentiometer
7-One year warranty

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #40,372 of 48,562
A WORD OF WARNING

I have something to say to ANY company who has products, or any reviewing company that thinks I can only say positive things.

I will NEVER, EVER go against by what I feel. This means if you send me a product that I think sucks, I WILL tell you it sucks, and I'll even give you the reasons why. I will NEVER brown nose YOU or ANY company you happen to be affiliated with. If you send me a product for IMPRESSIONS or that isn't a FINALIZED form, tell me so, and I will give you my HONEST thoughts so you can make adjustments if you'd like instead of just telling you what you want to hear. If you send me something for review, I'll give a review of the product if I feel it's worth reviewing for my viewers here. If not, I will tell you I didn't like it, and that a review wouldn't be favorable, so I would decline. That way you won't have negative press from me on said product, and you can send me something else I MIGHT see in a favorable light. I, once again would never write about something I don't like. Not in the past so many years, and never again.

Saying something sounds like a mess isn't TRASHING a product. It's me telling you honestly that it sounded like a mess to. Trashing a product would be me publicly denouncing your product in one of my reviews and telling people not to get it because it's crap. At length. Even that would fall under my opinion, but I honestly wouldn't go about doing that nowadays.

If you are ok with this, then please by all means, contact me and I'll likely check out your product. But if you get offended because I didn't like something, then work on yourselves, because the real world isn't all about kissing your arse. You'll get my honest impression or nothing at all. I'd rather write nothing at all than bend to some notion that you can only say good things to keep amicable ties with companies. I don't owe you or anyone around you a damn thing.

If this language is too strong for you, sorry not sorry. I'm not a professional ass kisser. I write reviews for the sake of helping people buying products, not for the company's sake. As I see it, I'm essentially free advertisement when I DO write a review. You'd be surprised how many people I get telling me how I helped them buy a product. I don't get anything but THAT satisfaction, while you companies reap the benefits. So to get upset that I don't like something and said so, boo freaking hoo. Tough.

My two cents. You can quote me on all of this. Don't EVER question my integrity, my bluntness, or WHY I do this. I have no problem defending my beliefs.​

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #40,373 of 48,562
MLE I was looking at your ether c review right now. Do you have any time spent with the ether's ? What you said about the c's sounds very intriguing but I much prefer open backed. Any idea if those open backs have that wonder sound you described in the c's review ?

Jun 18, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #40,374 of 48,562
Sorry I have no experience with the Ethers. General advice: If it's not on the guide, I most likely I haven't tried it.

For anyone who is private messaging me about certain products not on the guide, this is why I don't reply. I DON'T HAVE AN OPINION ON PRODUCTS I HAVEN'T EXPERIENCED FOR MYSELF. If it is NOT on the guide, please do not message me about it. I would be making assumptions, and assumptions can be wrong. I can only speak for products I have reviewed!

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #40,376 of 48,562
just buy the AE-5 and call it a day. It will be fine for you in all and any cases forever and ever, together forever and eeeeeeeeeeeeeever and on and oooon and oooooooooooooooooooon, together you will be strong!

Jun 20, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #40,378 of 48,562
If by DH reproduction you mean any good virtual surround, I say the Creative X7. If you mean actual Dolby Headphone, then look for a second gen Mixamp that looks like the one on the first page. Probably hella cheap on Ebay if you're lucky.

Second gen would not have any eq button on the face. Only power and DH button and volume knob.

How can I tell the 2009 with both buttons apart from the 2011 edition?

Jun 20, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #40,379 of 48,562
How can I tell the 2009 with both buttons apart from the 2011 edition?

The 2009 looks different, and the USB is just for power, while the USB on the 2011 works for chat on the PC for the 2011. IIRC, the usb chat also worked for PS3.

On the first page I show the newer version as well as the 2011 with two buttons. If it doesn't look like the one pictured on the first page, it ain't the one.

THIS is the old one:

2469001426_971fe1f185_o.jpg

THIS is the 2011

mixamp_nav21.jpeg

Bear in mind that the old one is just as good as the 2011 in terms of SQ and little noise floor. Just, it doesn't have chat through usb. Not that you're likely to find one in the wild anyways.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back