Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 17, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #34,637 of 48,562
No problem. Keep in mind though that this adapter will require a slight modification to the jack inside the HD598 (nothing permanent, the plastic lock that keeps the cable in place needs to be unscrewed and removed)

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #34,639 of 48,562
Sorry me again. Do I want male or female Xlr adapter?

Amazon Uk

So a mix amp for chat and virtual surround if I wish, and a Schiit Magni II uber and I'm sorted right? No need for the modi dac as the mix amp is essentially a dac?

This one won't do.

As for the rest of the question, yes You're correct.

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #34,640 of 48,562
  No problem. Keep in mind though that this adapter will require a slight modification to the jack inside the HD598 (nothing permanent, the plastic lock that keeps the cable in place needs to be unscrewed and removed)

yeah i just found about that in another thread,today i get on my mail box the PC360,i will test them tonight if i dont like the sound i will order the V-Moda boom mic to use with my HD598.

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #34,641 of 48,562
  guys what headphone i buy Fidelio X1 or Fidelio X2?

From my understanding, the Fidelio X2 is slightly better then the Fidelio X1.
So if the X1 is a lot cheaper then the X2 for you, might as well get the X1.

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #34,643 of 48,562
The X2 is more balanced and cleaner sounding. The X1 is like a wamrer, bass heavy version of the X2. The X2 has pretty beefy bass as is, so unless you want to go further into bass terriroty, the X2 will suffice.

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #34,644 of 48,562
The X2 is more balanced and cleaner sounding. The X1 is like a wamrer, bass heavy version of the X2. The X2 has pretty beefy bass as is, so unless you want to go further into bass terriroty, the X2 will suffice.

As far as I know I still can get that extra bass found in the X1 by using an EQ If I would like to get that increase down the line and I'll get a similar outcome

Mar 18, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #34,645 of 48,562
EQ is always a factor in any headphone. As long as the drivers can handle it, it's always something that can be done. However, EQ-ing incurs SQ loss by frequency manipulation, whereas a headphone tuned by factory will be at its optimal driver balance. You lose fidelity with EQ as opposed to just buying a bass heavy headphone.

Mar 18, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #34,647 of 48,562

damn then i want both headphones
etysmile.gif
my favorite music is rock heavy metal,hard rock,aor,gothic,so i think the X2 is ok for this kind of music.

Mar 18, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #34,648 of 48,562
EQ is always a factor in any headphone. As long as the drivers can handle it, it's always something that can be done. However, EQ-ing incurs SQ loss by frequency manipulation, whereas a headphone tuned by factory will be at its optimal driver balance. You lose fidelity with EQ as opposed to just buying a bass heavy headphone.

Isn't using Dolby headphone the same then as it alters the sound?

Mar 18, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #34,649 of 48,562
Umm, it adds actual surround sound? And we on this thread have many times stated that virtual surround DSPs lower overall sound quality for the benefit of surround sound, which is a massive benefit in aural headspace (basically turning sound from 2d to 3d). As I said before, if I had a choice between a $50,000 headphone setup that plays in just stereo, and a $15 one that plays in virtual surround (with absolutely no other options available), I'd take the cheap solution every single time. The benefit of virtual surround is that important to me for gaming and whatever else benefits from it like movies.

The topic was about a headphone tuned a certain way vs a headphone EQed to sound like it was tuned differently. As I said, a mildly bassy headphone like the X1 being bassy at its default state has less detriments to sound quality compared to an X2 that is EQ'ed to sound like an X1. EQ is basically distorting the natural tone of a headphone's frequency, to sound like something else.

This is why I don't typically EQ. I only do that if a headphone has a really nasty spike somewhere like in the upper mid to treble range, or if the bass is too lean. And even then, I rather not.

Mar 18, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #34,650 of 48,562
I'm not surprised that MLE is not heavily into DEDICATED HARDPANNING STEREO GAMING. 

I agree on EQ as it changes spatial info WITH HRTF solutions as the equalization which already happens through the HRTF solution itself is changed with the "post-processed" EQ you apply with whatever you are using, even if it's the own EQ of your soundcard.

For instance CRYSTALLIZER with CMSS-3D changes the spatial perception. Yes, it's a dynamic EQ but try normal EQ as well and see for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back