Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 9, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #31,351 of 48,566
Any info about the Bitfenix Flo?
They're on sale in a local store for a really low price, at first I though it would be the "classical" horrible game headset, although after a while... WOW, they look almost the same as the Superlux HD661, and now they're even cheaper than buying the Superluxes from aliexpress.

I've found some info that superlux is the OEM...

Jul 9, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #31,352 of 48,566
No, and I don't have any desire to. I have heard plenty from people I trust to know they're not what I want. Not hard to extrapolate what kind of sound they have, especially from people that have been on the money with stuff I've heard every single time.

Really?
From all the reviews I been reading the HE-500 excels in bass & the 560 in soundstage.
Outside their price, I would thought them to be something to look into for gaming.

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #31,353 of 48,566

Really?
From all the reviews I been reading the HE-500 excels in bass & the 560 in soundstage.
Outside their price, I would thought them to be something to look into for gaming.

It's not a sound MLE wants. He's not saying that it's a bad choice for gaming, but it's not a good choice for him.

Jul 9, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #31,355 of 48,566
I haven't gone in depth in researching the Hiffiman headphones, but what sound signature do they have?
Too warm, too analytical?

There's a number of threads dedicated to the various HIFIMAN headphones. I haven't heard all of them but I know the threads would be more than able to provide details about each's specific sound signature.

Jul 9, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #31,356 of 48,566
Somehow I miss the Elite Tournament Audio Controller announcement. It looks pretty cool! So theres no ETA??
I wonder whats the holdup on the TAC??

Well, I certainly doubt it would be delayed because of the design process by this point... Could be a parts sourcing issue (which also could've been worked around by now) or a licensing/legal issue. Probably the latter.

Turtle Beach was at CanJam SoCal this year, and when asked in person they didn't have an ETA (or seem to even be able to say "soon").

Any info about the Bitfenix Flo?
They're on sale in a local store for a really low price, at first I though it would be the "classical" horrible game headset, although after a while... WOW, they look almost the same as the Superlux HD661, and now they're even cheaper than buying the Superluxes from aliexpress.

I've found some info that superlux is the OEM...

Eh, the Superlux that is usually recommended is already a cheap headphone with some rough qualities, so I wouldn't expect a cheaper model to make much difference. I'm not even sure if the HD661 was the model people recommend, I seem to recall that the good one was numbered a little higher?

At the end of the day, the Superlux is an AKG look-alike for cheap that already proved that two similar-looking products won't necessarily sound equal, and if I was new to audio I might really enjoy the Superlux (or Samson) at first, but quickly I'd be looking for an upgrade.

Jul 9, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #31,357 of 48,566

There's a number of threads dedicated to the various HIFIMAN headphones. I haven't heard all of them but I know the threads would be more than able to provide details about each's specific sound signature.

I actually did skim through them, just not read the hundred of posts they have.

They always get mentioned as being the top tier in their price bracket.
Below the ultra high end of HD800, LCD2/3 & the Tesla T1's, but above the HD650 & X2?

They seem like they would be a good fit for gaming.

Jul 9, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #31,358 of 48,566

Below the ultra high end of HD800, LCD2/3 & the Tesla T1's, but above the HD650 & X2?

I find the 400i a great fit for gaming. Bass is well controlled, great extension, nice soundstage (after a simple mod), and accurate positional queues.

Personally, I don't like the HD650. Especially for gaming. I'd take my Koss PortaPro over the HD650. The X2 is better than the HD650 in all aspects.

Jul 9, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #31,359 of 48,566
Hoping to get some help/direction on what gaming headphones to get as the more I read the more I can't make up my mind.  These will be used for 90% games and 10% EDM music.  I will be using these only through my on board laptops soundcard (Sager 8652) and prefer not to use an amp/DAC. 

I currently have a really old pair of Sennheiser's HD497 which I am not a fan of as they are uncomfortable after a little bit of wearing them and the sound is lacking on the low end and to me is mostly treble.  I also have a pair of Monster Turbine Copper Pro that I use work and really like that sound.

I have been deciding between the Sennheiser HD558, and the Philips X1 & X2.  I am leaning towards the X1 or X2 but don't know how much better those are compared to the HD558 for what I need.  Also is the X2 worth the $100 extra over the X1 currently?  Not sure if the X2 drops below the current $299 price point and I should wait a bit.  I don't mind paying more if it is worth it.

I do not have any places to listen to any headphones around me so I am mostly going off reviews.  Any help would be awesome.

Jul 9, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #31,360 of 48,566
  Hoping to get some help/direction on what gaming headphones to get as the more I read the more I can't make up my mind.  These will be used for 90% games and 10% EDM music.  I will be using these only through my on board laptops soundcard (Sager 8652) and prefer not to use an amp/DAC. 

I currently have a really old pair of Sennheiser's HD497 which I am not a fan of as they are uncomfortable after a little bit of wearing them and the sound is lacking on the low end and to me is mostly treble.  I also have a pair of Monster Turbine Copper Pro that I use work and really like that sound.

I have been deciding between the Sennheiser HD558, and the Philips X1 & X2.  I am leaning towards the X1 or X2 but don't know how much better those are compared to the HD558 for what I need.  Also is the X2 worth the $100 extra over the X1 currently?  Not sure if the X2 drops below the current $299 price point and I should wait a bit.  I don't mind paying more if it is worth it.

I do not have any places to listen to any headphones around me so I am mostly going off reviews.  Any help would be awesome.

The HD598 would have a slightly bigger soundstage for competitive gaming, but the X2 is bests it in every other regard.
X1 would be better if you would listen to a lot of bass heavy music.

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #31,361 of 48,566

X2 > X1 >> HD598 > HD558

Get the Fidelios.

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #31,362 of 48,566

You're talking about the HE500? Below the HD800 and the Audezes, yes, but above the T1, X2 and HD650. The final sound depends a bit on your amping, pad choice and mods. I find the HE500 sounds fantastic for gaming, but it's really heavy for extended gaming sessions. On the sound: Loads of gorgeous and tight reference-quality bass. Goes super deep with nice rumble and impact. Best lower mids evar. Upper mids are fairly neutral, though they need to be tamed with Jerg's Fuzzor mod to ensure fatigue-free listening. Treble is very, very good, but performance and harshness will vary depending on mods and pad choices. I've had many non-audiophile friend listen to the HD800 and HE500 back to back, and many of them say that it's not a case of one being better than the other, they're just very, very different.

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #31,363 of 48,566
Anyone here interested in purchasing a sealed copy of Arkham Knight for PS4? One came with my nephew's PS4 he got for his birthday, but I already have a copy he can just borrow. He'd rather I sell it and use that money to get him a different game.

PM me if interested (selling it for $35 shipped but buyer adds fees). I won't be putting up a classified, however, unless it is for feedback purposes... so only you guys know it is available. Otherwise, I'll put it up on eBay for bid in a couple days if no one here wants it.

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #31,364 of 48,566

X2 > X1 >> HD598 > HD558

Get the Fidelios.

I know this is rely subjective, but is the X2 a noticeable difference abive the X1's? Also do they ever go below the $299 price point?

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #31,365 of 48,566

X2 > X1 >> HD598 > HD558

Get the Fidelios.

I know this is rely subjective, but is the X2 a noticeable difference abive the X1's? Also do they ever go below the $299 price point?

Haven't compared them directly, but there is a pretty unanimous consensus that they are notably improved. That being said, the X1 is still very enjoyable.
To answer your other question, yes. You can get a "Used - Like New" X2 pretty easily for around $200 via Amazon Warehouse deals. I'd recommend subscribing to the Head-fi deals discussion thread or setting a price alert for $210 or $220 through camelcamelcamel. They pop up relatively frequently, but they go pretty fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back