Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 16, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #21,766 of 48,566
Mar 16, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #21,767 of 48,566

There are many, here on head-fi, that have wives and kids. Axel even just bought a house, I think... and look at him...

You just wait... it's very contagious... 
evil_smiley.gif

Better amps to consider for the Q701 are the Matrix M-Stage, Schiit Asgard 2, and iFi Micro iCAN... 
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

No, don't look at me. I'm a terrible example. Yep, we just bought a house and we're moving and I'm still buying new headphones. Working extra hours to cover the headphones so I don't dip into the house money. :p

Basically it's a headset that also comes with its own mix amp. Golden ears recently measured these and they seem pretty good for a headset. They're also relatively inexpensive. Basically I want to have your say on these headsets anytime possible since so many gamers are recommending these.

I don't believe anyone around here has heard the new AKG headset yet. It's replacing their old headset and even that one didn't get much mention on Head-Fi, only a little that I remember seeing. I looked at a pair a little bit ago but decided that the headphone's padding looked like it left a bit to be desired and the mixing device isn't a Mixamp, but rather a device to "mix" your cell phone or mp3 player into the game audio, allowing quick switching between phone calls and gaming or mixing music into your game.

Mar 16, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #21,768 of 48,566
...And, make sure to set audio output to Bitstream (Dolby). This is one option that so many people miss on the PS4 then suddenly think that their DSS/Mixamp is faulty.

In this case, he has the Victor SU-DAC, pretty much the only surround processor (discontinued now) that could process Dolby or DTS, so for him that setting shouldn't matter.

Mar 16, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #21,769 of 48,566
Hmm...really "on the fence" regarding my new possibly buy. would like to hear your opinions-
Again as said- wide head and wearing eye-glasses. Hearing metal, classic rock and sometimes jazz.
Playing a-lot and comfort is a must have...counting all that, i can't decide which one should get the
cash: the DT990 premium or Fidelio x1?

Maybe got other suggestions?
Would like to hear..
Wonderful week all..

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #21,770 of 48,566
I give the nod to the X1. Simply because it's a great headphone.
K612 and MA900 are two other phones worth looking into.

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #21,771 of 48,566
  PS4 audio help.

Audio output Troubles with headphones.

I am having trouble getting the right settings as I did with the ps3 for headphones/mic.

PS3 >optical cable >Victor SU-DH1 dolby amp >ATH-A900 headphones (PS3 settings to optical out).
Headset mic setting was for chat to come through the headphones.

PS4
I have tried multiple settings, but the choices seem slimmer than on the PS3.
PS4 > optical cable > Victor SU-DH1 dolby amp > ATH-A900 headphones.

1). sound comes out from both the TV and headphones (kludge fix -turn down the TV or mute it).

2). Yes, I know the supplied mic is .......bad.
I have tried the different audio settings and party chat - but couldnt seem to find a way to output chat to my main headphones, if i set it to All audio the game audio only comes out of the Chat Mic piece. (kludge fix - have the ear piece inside my main headphones).

Any help/ideas or do I have to wait for a future PS4 update?

Thanks
expat.

reading through this thread at the moment for a possible solution.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/690663/ps4-with-3-5mm-x2-type-headset

Yes,  have selected optical as preferred, bitstream etc etc.

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #21,772 of 48,566
Is there any difference between the Turtle Beach COD Tango, COD Phantom, and XP510?  I'd like to keep the cost under $200 for an XBOX 360 wireless headset.  The Steelseries H Wireless reviews are pretty good, but it's pricey.

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #21,773 of 48,566

I don't believe anyone around here has heard the new AKG headset yet. It's replacing their old headset and even that one didn't get much mention on Head-Fi, only a little that I remember seeing. I looked at a pair a little bit ago but decided that the headphone's padding looked like it left a bit to be desired and the mixing device isn't a Mixamp, but rather a device to "mix" your cell phone or mp3 player into the game audio, allowing quick switching between phone calls and gaming or mixing music into your game.

Oh can you please link me to the new AKG product? I hope that this headset is compatible with PS3 as I am a console gamer, more importantly that the headphone has a rather neutral sound quality.

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #21,774 of 48,566
  Is there any difference between the Turtle Beach COD Tango, COD Phantom, and XP510?  I'd like to keep the cost under $200 for an XBOX 360 wireless headset.  

The COD Tango, XP510 and the Phantom are completely identical with each other in almost every regard with the exception of the pricing, livery and the name. But I've heard that most Turtle Beach headsets are prone to breaking, especially the driver of the left ear cup not producing sound or the thin plastic joints that allows swiveling breaks when not treated properly (FYI).

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #21,775 of 48,566
Hey all,

brand new here.  Im currently looking for a headset to use for pc gaming, movies/tv, and then music.  I know basically nothing about quality headphones and Iv decided that its time for me to get one that will last and one that will amaze me.

I saw that the Philips fidelio X1 is highly recommended, however it is an open headset.  I saw that there is a closed version called the M1.

The reason I want closed headphones is that I dont want to disturb my family and I also would want to use them while traveling. 

How does the M1 compare to the X1.  I had read that people say its the exact same, but when I looked up the prices the M1 is a 100 bucks cheaper.

The next question is how does the M1 stack against the sennheiser momentum.  From what i have read the sennheiser seems to be considered a very well regarded closed headphone.  How is the comfort of the sennheiser compared to the X1?  Iv also heard good things about the AKG K550.  How does that stack up?  One main concern is comfort since i do wear headphones up to several hours at a time.

Or should i just get the X1 and accept that its an open headset?  Also how far away can you hear them?  For example if im sitting on a couch and my wife is on the other end of the couch will she be able to hear it or is it something that she wont hear unless she sits directly next to me?

If anyone else has any recommendations my budget is around 300ish. 

Thanks.

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #21,776 of 48,566
  Oh can you please link me to the new AKG product? I hope that this headset is compatible with PS3 as I am a console gamer, more importantly that the headphone has a rather neutral sound quality.

Oops, it seems my memory failed me this time. I thought that the headset shown above was a new AKG replacing their old GHS-1 but I'm confusing AKG with Plantronics. Sorry. The image is the newer Plantronics RIG system. It's still only stereo, it doesn't handle any form of DSP. I had wanted to hear the old GHS-1 but not at the prices Amazon is currently charging. You could pick them up much cheaper before they were discontinued.

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #21,777 of 48,566
Hello to all,

From a newbie on console gaming sound configuration.

I would like to get advise; I play stricktly XB1 console games, especially FPS, looking for a good setup for positioning in game.

Following the advises on this thread, I have ordered a set of Q701.

But what is the best way now, to connect it to get the best surround sound for great positioning?

Do I need to buy an outside amp; like the Astro Mix-Amp? And is this the best tool available for the money?

In case it can help; I have an outside Cambridge DAC and an old Yamaha DSP A970; can this be used, instead of an Astro mixamp? I know it decodes Dolby Pro Logic from an anolog source thru the speakers setup, but not sure it generate Dolby from the headphone jack?

I also own an older Stax headphone set, but the amp unit is only analog, so I suspect it is only stereo.

Sorry for all those questions, but sometime it seems so confusing, about how and what could be the best setup for console gaming sound.

Finding the best headphone, is great thru reviews, but finding how to make them work at its best, is difficult to understand.

Thanks in advance

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #21,778 of 48,566
Hello to all,

From a newbie on console gaming sound configuration.

I would like to get advise; I play stricktly XB1 console games, especially FPS, looking for a good setup for positioning in game.

Following the advises on this thread, I have ordered a set of Q701.

But what is the best way now, to connect it to get the best surround sound for great positioning?

Do I need to buy an outside amp; like the Astro Mix-Amp? And is this the best tool available for the money?

In case it can help; I have an outside Cambridge DAC and an old Yamaha DSP A970; can this be used, instead of an Astro mixamp? I know it decodes Dolby Pro Logic from an anolog source thru the speakers setup, but not sure it generate Dolby from the headphone jack?

I also own an older Stax headphone set, but the amp unit is only analog, so I suspect it is only stereo.

Sorry for all those questions, but sometime it seems so confusing, about how and what could be the best setup for console gaming sound.

Finding the best headphone, is great thru reviews, but finding how to make them work at its best, is difficult to understand.

Thanks in advance

I think you'll find that most people in this thread will happily recommend the Mixamp.  As I'm sure you noticed, there are a few alternatives mentioned in the guide, including the Creative Recon3D.  I happened to find one of these on super sale for $5 so I've been using that.  I actually prefer the THX sound to DH, but I seem to be in the minority with that.  It's all about what works best for your brain/ears.

You may find that you want additional amping with the Q701 and the Mixamp/Recon.  There are some good options in the guide, though I haven't personally used any of them yet.  I've amped mine through my AVR and noticed the benefits.

I'm still deciding whether or not to get a dedicated headphone amp for my setup.  I can use my AVR to amp out of the Recon, but I'll need to get an optical switcher.  Ones that aren't complete garbage cost like $40 and even those aren't great.  Small jump from there to a $100 dedicated amp...

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #21,780 of 48,566
  Can someone link me to a good optical switch?

want to connect my 5.8 to my PS4 and Xbox One

This is the latest one I was considering:  www.amazon.com/ViewHD-TOSLINK-Digital-Optical-Switcher/dp/B00G188Z7A  This is an active switch, I believe, so you need to make sure it supports the right audio formats (it claims all are supported...).  I like the fact that this one has an IR port so you can program the switching right into your Harmony Remote!

For my use, I actually want a splitter.  A passive switch works both ways, but an active switch is one way so I'd need a splitter not a switch (I want the Xbox output to split to AVR and Recon).  For you, it sounds like a switch is the way to go.

EDIT - BTW, I haven't used these yet.  I can't vouch for the quality.  Still deciding whether to get one or just get a headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back