Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 5, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #40,321 of 48,562
Wouldn't that be phenomenal if they could? It's so close to being the perfect unit already; that would tip it over the line of many people I'm sure.

Alternatively, I wondered if someone could open it and mod the PCB so that the line out of the 7.1 is taken straight the speaker out. I don't know enough about the intricacies of the line levels etc but I'd consider modding if it worked.

All in all though people seem to think they can double amp just fine (for the most part).
Why not use the headphone out? It works like charm.

Jun 5, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #40,322 of 48,562
Hi im new to the scene and I already did some research.
I'm looking for a new headset since my sennheiser pc 350 broke and I've bought a new sennheiser game one , beyerdynamic 770 pro but I didnt like them both.

My motherboard Gigabyte Z270X-Ultra gaming so I got an onboard soundcard.

Now my question is for about 250 euro's, I live in Europe what should I invest in ?
I really can't narrow down what to buy. I prefer a mic on my headphone but if the combo mic / headphone is decent I'm willing to consider it too.

Jun 5, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #40,323 of 48,562
Hi im new to the scene and I already did some research.
I'm looking for a new headset since my sennheiser pc 350 broke and I've bought a new sennheiser game one , beyerdynamic 770 pro but I didnt like them both.

My motherboard Gigabyte Z270X-Ultra gaming so I got an onboard soundcard.

Now my question is for about 250 euro's, I live in Europe what should I invest in ?
I really can't narrow down what to buy. I prefer a mic on my headphone but if the combo mic / headphone is decent I'm willing to consider it too.
What didn't you like on the two aforementioned cans?

Jun 5, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #40,326 of 48,562
It felt like it was not a real big upgrade compared to my PC 350. The game one was not comfortable for me and the 770 dno I didn't like it because I prefer microphone attached.
You might want to try the new GSP 500 (open back) or GSP 600 (closed back). Have the latter on my skull right now. It is a clear upgrade if it fits your head.

Jun 5, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #40,328 of 48,562
@Sennheiser Is this something that could be added in a firmware update to allow for easier stacking with more powerful gear?

Would be much better than right now but still too much for the price given the mediocre analog path. Value would improve if it had an optical out and we could grab GSX from there. It's probably something for the successor.

Jun 5, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #40,329 of 48,562
Would be much better than right now but still too much for the price given the mediocre analog path. Value would improve if it had an optical out and we could grab GSX from there. It's probably something for the successor.
Or if it didn't have analog outs at all, just s/pdif. And cost $150 less

Jun 5, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #40,330 of 48,562
Jun 5, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #40,331 of 48,562
I have an asus xonar dgx that can do dolby headphone over spdif, and those are like $20 used. Even with that though, I feel somewhat limited with dac choice, since getting ones with good spdif performance is tough.

Imo, what sennheiser should do is sell a software version of the binaural rendering engine, complete with equalization for a bunch of different Sennheiser headphones. This way, people can choose whatever usb dac and headphone amp they want.

Jun 6, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #40,332 of 48,562
Imo, what sennheiser should do is sell a software version of the binaural rendering engine, complete with equalization for a bunch of different Sennheiser headphones. This way, people can choose whatever usb dac and headphone amp they want.

It isn't an insignificant cost to develop a virtual windows sound driver that can output to anything but I also tend to agree it would be really good because it would also make evaluating and comparing them a lot easier. There might be some latency involve though, I can see why they would prefer dedicated DSP hardware so that the latency is minimised especially if it depends on high quality processing.

We get the products we get so for now at least we have to make that trade off.

Jun 6, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #40,333 of 48,562
Interesting little device. I'd certainly like to give it a try, but I wish I could use it just for the DSP and then have it feed my DAC. I'd hate to have to switch around my setup between gaming and music.

You also mention that Dolby Headphone isn't far behind GSX Surround. To be honest, Dolby Headphone didn't impress me at all. I always feel extremely underwhelmed by every digital surround sound attempt.

Would be nice if they had their software for the DSP available for download; offer a free limited time trial, and then one could purchase it. Having the little box there for adjustment mid game without having to tab out of my game is nice, but I really don't need the amp section, nor do I want to leave my DAC sitting on the sidelines.

Jun 6, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #40,334 of 48,562
well, most likely a lot of this stuff is getting considered for the next release, plus we have the Evshrugist onboard the Sennheiser train.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back