Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 24, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #39,916 of 48,565
I'm sorry, i wasn't specific enough, yes, Dolby Digital is in use, sometimes might not even be 7.1 but just 5.1.

The point of me using a mixer is to be able to listen to multiple sources at the same time, that's why i'm pushing for the mixer.
In that case, Sound Blaster X7 might be what you're looking for.

Mar 24, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #39,917 of 48,565
My TV sends out Dolby Digital through its optical out, so I have everything hooked up to the TV via hdmi, and that goes into my X7 with just one optical cable.

Be wary that many tvs do NOT send anything but 2 channel pcm, so your mileage may vary.

I do have my PC hooked up to the X7 via usb as well, as I like to use my wireless keyboard to control the volume of the X7 even when I'm not using the PC (it has to be on though). My X7 is a little far from me so I can't use the volume knob easily.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #39,918 of 48,565
My TV sends out Dolby Digital through its optical out, so I have everything hooked up to the TV via hdmi, and that goes into my X7 with just one optical cable.

Be wary that many tvs do NOT send anything but 2 channel pcm, so your mileage may vary.

I do have my PC hooked up to the X7 via usb as well, as I like to use my wireless keyboard to control the volume of the X7 even when I'm not using the PC (it has to be on though). My X7 is a little far from me so I can't use the volume knob easily.
I'm a little bummed that I can't get 5.1 through the X7 using a bluetooth transmitter, but them's the breaks! The X7 is a fabulous device.

Mar 25, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #39,919 of 48,565
My Recon3D seems to be breaking as the sound is clipping in low end on even at decent volume. So I need to replace it.
I am currently using the Philips X1 as my main pair for movies/games etc. which worked great with the Recon3D.

I was thinking of getting Mixamp used but the X7 is quite tempting. I don't have other headphone amps so the X7 would open up new upgrade
possibilities for the X1's as well with its amp. Is the X7 worth it even if my speaker set is a pair of active Audio Pro's? (and lower impedance headphones)
The price of the Mixamp Pro TR is roughly half of X7. (both new)
Current setup with the Recon3D is optical from tv to it. I don't even have headphone output on tv so Im out of luck atm.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #39,920 of 48,565
You would never wanna use headphone outs on TVs to begin with.

The X7 is a perfect all in one solution, and I honestly think is a no brainier for those wanting virtual surround, a good amp, AND dac even outside of gaming use.

The software takes a bit to get used to and you'll wanna make sure to update the firmware and drivers from the website to fix the bad traits the X7 had in its infancy.

Since you owned the Recon, the X7 is a logical upgrade as well, since SBX surround is the evolution of THX Tru Studio. It's better.

Your active speakers will also be fine since the X7 has line outs.

Save the money and get the basic X7, since you won't have a real need for the higher power needed for hungrier speakers. The headphone specs are the same, just a lower impedance output which to be honest was already low on the standard X7. I also think the standard X7 looks better than the LE.

The sound will be MUCH cleaner on the X7 vs the Recon3D as well. I remember the distortion on the Recon at times. The X7 is audiophile friendly, in terms of SQ.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #39,921 of 48,565
Thanks, appreciate the advice.

I think I'll have to go with the X7. When I got the Recon3D, the X7 just came out and I thought about it but couldn't afford it at the time.

Mar 26, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #39,922 of 48,565
I would just like to preface this post by explaining the time stamp: I don't feel tired, and maybe that's weird ^_^'`

Does anyone know of a company that makes affordable headphone cables to order?
I need them sleeved in nylon/cotton (basically cloth like) in any desired length (I need 4,5m or 15ft.) for headphones like the GSP600, HD598CS, HD599, HD700 and K7XX?
I tried Forza and they can make them all in the more expensive series but not in their affordable color series.
For 3.5mm plug cables (or cables with slim headphone-side connectors) that are already OK but you wish for a cloth cover, or you want to accessorize with different cloth colors, you might be able to buy some paracord. Cut the paracord to the desired length, pull out the inner strings, and then you can thread the cable through the outer paracord wrap. I would probably cut the paracord to the length of the plug-to-Y-split, or long enough to cover from the plug all the way to one ear cup then cut a hole at the y-split length and let the other ear cup's wire out at that point, and cover the other ear cup's wire in a different color so it's easier to tell left from right :wink:

I've got a really nice and much shorter (Balanced with Pentaconn!) cable by Wireworld coming in on Tuesday for my HD 800 (and any future headphones with the same connector). My amp is less than an arm's length away from me at my desk, so having less cable spaghetti to coil up will be nice. And although I feel the single-ended cable that came with my HD 800 is pretty nice, I had a friend bring his single-ended cable that costs half the total cost of an HD 800 S with him to let me hear it, and I was shocked then to find that it sounded like it was letting more of the signal to come through, for a clearer, more distinct sound. At that price, it SHOULD make a difference, but the difference was immediately apparent the second I first heard it, no careful A/B studying required to suss out the differences. The frequency response didn't change much at all, it was more like someone had given me nice glasses or contacts for my ears, better clarity and contrast. In hindsight, it makes sense... if we know some cables sound "bad" and others sound "better" (original Philips X1 cable, it was very popular to replace it with a V-MODA cable), then it follows that some cables will be "more" better (sorry about the bad grammar there, but it makes my point). Unfortunately, a replacement or pricey cable isn't a guarantee of upgraded sound quality. I went into the audition with my friend's cable (DanaCable) totally thinking any difference could just be placebo/psychoacoustics, because in the past I've tried replacement cables and "upgrade" cables that seemed more like side grades. You really have to audition for yourself, or ask a trusted source, to find a brand and price that will provide a substantial upgrade over the usually-good cables that come with headphones. Otherwise, if you just need a cable because yours is broken or ergonomically annoying (like how mine is too long), that's cool too. Just don't expect something around $100 or made of Mogami microphone wire to sound much better than what you already have.

Maybe I'll give impressions of the Wireworld when it arrives. I actually haven't heard this cable myself yet, but it was recommended by the same friend who brought the DanaCable and more in my price range.

What headphones are you using with GSX1000? Also do I understand correctly - I can plug GSX1000 into O2 (3.5mm out -> 3.5mm in) and still have all the surround stuff?
Ooooh, a PC37X, GAME ZERO, HD 599, HD 650, HD 58X, whatever's closest or whatever someone asks me to describe. And I have connected my GSX 1000's 3.5mm HEADPHONE out jack to my Cavalli Liquid Carbon and Sennheiser HD 820 (the Mama Jamba!) to listen with my HD 800 before; as long as you use the GSX's headphone output, the Binaural Surround processing will still be intact in the signal.

Mar 26, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #39,923 of 48,565
It was mentioned you can add an amp to the GSX 1000. How do you do it? i'm assuming you plug the amp into the speaker port ? and still use the headphone port on the GSX for your headset?

Also sennheiser has added the GSP 500 which look to be open back. Will this perform better than the 600?
It depends on what you need.

It takes more engineering to make a closed back, and even then there's usually some resonance. The driver (speaker) in a headphone emits sound in all directions (actually, so do all vibrations), but some of these "extra" waves of energy escape out the back of open headphones, while the rear cups of closed headphones cause the sound waves to echo back (and sometimes cause the cups themselves to vibrate) and you'll hear the sound twice with a tiny delay. Closed headphones also have leather or pleather earpads instead of velour.

The most obvious and main appeal of a closed headphone is the seal against outside noise intruding in (people talking, air conditioning, fans in gaming consoles), and noise leaking out (disturbing others, or providing the audio equivalent of "Screen looking!"). Less obvious is that a closed headphone can actually use that trapped air to reinforce the bass, making it easier to develop stronger bass that can also extend deeper into the sub-bass ranges. Finally, and Mad Lust Envy will like this, the GSP 600 pads are also hybrid pads, with a soft suede-like material where the earpads make contact with your skin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Mar 26, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #39,924 of 48,565
I would just like to preface this post by explaining the time stamp: I don't feel tired, and maybe that's weird ^_^'`

For 3.5mm plug cables (or cables with slim headphone-side connectors) that are already OK but you wish for a cloth cover, or you want to accessorize with different cloth colors, you might be able to buy some paracord. Cut the paracord to the desired length, pull out the inner strings, and then you can thread the cable through the outer paracord wrap. I would probably cut the paracord to the length of the plug-to-Y-split, or long enough to cover from the plug all the way to one ear cup then cut a hole at the y-split length and let the other ear cup's wire out at that point, and cover the other ear cup's wire in a different color so it's easier to tell left from right :wink:

I've got a really nice and much shorter (Balanced with Pentaconn!) cable by Wireworld coming in on Tuesday for my HD 800 (and any future headphones with the same connector). My amp is less than an arm's length away from me at my desk, so having less cable spaghetti to coil up will be nice. And although I feel the single-ended cable that came with my HD 800 is pretty nice, I had a friend bring his single-ended cable that costs half the total cost of an HD 800 S with him to let me hear it, and I was shocked then to find that it sounded like it was letting more of the signal to come through, for a clearer, more distinct sound. At that price, it SHOULD make a difference, but the difference was immediately apparent the second I first heard it, no careful A/B studying required to suss out the differences. The frequency response didn't change much at all, it was more like someone had given me nice glasses or contacts for my ears, better clarity and contrast. In hindsight, it makes sense... if we know some cables sound "bad" and others sound "better" (original Philips X1 cable, it was very popular to replace it with a V-MODA cable), then it follows that some cables will be "more" better (sorry about the bad grammar there, but it makes my point). Unfortunately, a replacement or pricey cable isn't a guarantee of upgraded sound quality. I went into the audition with my friend's cable (DanaCable) totally thinking any difference could just be placebo/psychoacoustics, because in the past I've tried replacement cables and "upgrade" cables that seemed more like side grades. You really have to audition for yourself, or ask a trusted source, to find a brand and price that will provide a substantial upgrade over the usually-good cables that come with headphones. Otherwise, if you just need a cable because yours is broken or ergonomically annoying (like how mine is too long), that's cool too. Just don't expect something around $100 or made of Mogami microphone wire to sound much better than what you already have.

I'm really only after a cheap, ready made cable. I hardly believe in upgraded cables for my music headphones, let alone for my gaming ones.
All I need is 4.5m and soft cloth, not rubber or hard nylon. And affordable, that's why I mentioned the color series but I don't really care for the color and actually prefer black.

Mar 26, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #39,925 of 48,565

It takes more engineering to make a closed back, and even then there's usually some resonance. The driver (speaker) in a headphone emits sound in all directions (actually, so do all vibrations), but some of these "extra" waves of energy escape out the back of open headphones, while the rear cups of closed headphones cause the sound waves to echo back (and sometimes cause the cups themselves to vibrate) and you'll hear the sound twice with a tiny delay. Closed headphones also have leather or pleather earpads instead of velour.

The most obvious and main appeal of a closed headphone is the seal against outside noise intruding in (people talking, air conditioning, fans in gaming consoles), and noise leaking out (disturbing others, or providing the audio equivalent of "Screen looking!"). Less obvious is that a closed headphone can actually use that trapped air to reinforce the bass, making it easier to develop stronger bass that can also extend deeper into the sub-bass ranges. Finally, and Mad Lust Envy will like this, the GSP 600 pads are also hybrid pads, with a soft suede-like material where the earpads make contact with your skin.
Ooh color me very excite

Mar 26, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #39,926 of 48,565

Whaaaat... you can't do this to me when I was already set on a Mobius! Now I'm all conflicted and doubting!

Mar 26, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #39,928 of 48,565
Whaaaat... you can't do this to me when I was already set on a Mobius! Now I'm all conflicted and doubting!
The Mobius is a wireless planarmagnetic. That alone puts it over the top for me. That being said, I'm still interested in the other stuff as always.

Mar 26, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #39,929 of 48,565
So I gave HESuVi's surround sound plug ins a test: (thanks to @Fegefeuer )

Alright so I did some testing (make sure you do it IN game, and not with the test button in the equalizer apo).

I really like:

Dolby Atmos
SBX (Overall still my top pick)
GSX
Dolby Home Theater V4

I think these 4 are all anyone would really need. Dolby Headphone 2 in the plug in was a bit too reverb heavy. I don't remember it being that bad.

I still think Dolby Headphone 2's rear sounds are the easiest to identify as rear, but SBX is 2nd. The others do well enough where I wouldn't complain. I think GSX is really good too, though there was something off about them here. I'm sure a device with GSX would be as good as SBX to me.

To my surprise I found that CMSS3D had one or two presets that work well enough (though I don't like the tuning), as well as Razer Surround. Most of the others all had respectable sound positional cues, but man, the sound tuning was crap.

All in all, I think any virtualization worth two cents can do a good job.

The biggest surprise was DTX Headphone X. Man, I did NOT like it at all. The rear cues were lacking and I didn't like the way the sound.

I also think removing reverb completely (there are certain presets without reverb) is detrimental in the surround experience. Yes it's cleaner, but I think a little reverb goes a long way in terms of sound immersion. SBX is a classic case where the little it has is trivial compared to the benefits.

Here are Fege's instructions (I had to turn off my anti-virus for the hesuvi download to install):

This is the main page. https://sourceforge.net/projects/hesuvi/

Installation is very easy

Equalizer APO. A configurator will open at the end of the installation and you are asked to select devices for which the APO is to be set up. Tick the box in front of your default device (see the Status column for that) and finalize the installation – but do not reboot.

• Download and install HeSuVi. Unpack it into Equalizer APO's config folder. The HeSuVi installer will automatically point to the correct folder if you didn't change Equalizer APO's install folder.
  • HeSuVi should open and you can click on Restart Audio in the bottom left if you didn't reboot in step one.
  • Click the Open Windows Sound Panel button next. Select your default device there, click the Properties button in the bottom right corner and change the sampling rate to 48000 Hz from the Default Format dropdown under Advanced. Save with OK.
  • Configure your playback device to surround sound by clicking on Configure in the lower left corner of the Sound Panel window. Select 7.1 Surround(or anything above 3 channels) and follow through with the configuration untill the window closes.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #39,930 of 48,565
I'm really only after a cheap, ready made cable. I hardly believe in upgraded cables for my music headphones, let alone for my gaming ones.
All I need is 4.5m and soft cloth, not rubber or hard nylon. And affordable, that's why I mentioned the color series but I don't really care for the color and actually prefer black.
Mimic cables are the way to go man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back