Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 19, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #39,331 of 48,565
HE-5's are back and on sale for $599 bundled with a whatever-HiFiMan amp. Curious what folks think of these. I already own the HE-560, which I absolutely loved. Seems to be a lot of nostalgia about these headphones but I don't know how much of the gushing is just nice memories or genuine. Someone mentioned it being the "progenitor" of the HE-6 (>$1k headphone), whatever that was supposed to mean. No gaming reviews per se but lots of reviews mention a large soundstage and good clarity/detail and separation. As a certified headphone buying addict I am curious...

2nd question: if you own an HD598 with a mic cable it is completely and utterly silly to consider the PC37X right? Please say yes.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #39,332 of 48,565
Ive read alot from this topic but cant decide yet Ive bought an hyper x cloud 2 but i dont like the performance of it for fps gaming , I would love to replace it, but I don’t know for which headphone/mic or new headset. My main is competetive gaming so directionl sound and footsteps are the main purpose. Can spend around 200 euro.s. Anyone can recommend me something? Ive had the pc350 before and I loved it but want better directional sound for csgo and pubg

Nov 19, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #39,333 of 48,565
Ive read alot from this topic but cant decide yet Ive bought an hyper x cloud 2 but i dont like the performance of it for fps gaming , I would love to replace it, but I don’t know for which headphone/mic or new headset. My main is competetive gaming so directionl sound and footsteps are the main purpose. Can spend around 200 euro.s. Anyone can recommend me something? Ive had the pc350 before and I loved it but want better directional sound for csgo and pubg

I have same question. Cloud 2's self sound card and 7.1 are useless. So I am using cloud 2 combining with creative omni sound blaster. I have an obsession about directional sound and I want better.

There are some gaming headsets and headphones. I was considering to buy Beyerdynamic mmx 300 yet it is too expensive. What is your advice to combine with omni sound blaster at fps use?

Nov 19, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #39,334 of 48,565
I have same question. Cloud 2's self sound card and 7.1 are useless. So I am using cloud 2 combining with creative omni sound blaster. I have an obsession about directional sound and I want better.

There are some gaming headsets and headphones. I was considering to buy Beyerdynamic mmx 300 yet it is too expensive. What is your advice to combine with omni sound blaster at fps use?
Ive read good reviews about the sennheiser game one but i’m waiting for advice here

Nov 19, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #39,335 of 48,565
Hi there!

Can anyone give advice with choosing headphones for 1st person shooters like Rainbow 6 Siege, Battlefield, CS:go and so on.

I'm going tu buy soundcard Creative AE-5 and I have about $200-250 for headphones\headset new or used and choosing between headphones. I've read FAQ on the first page and according to it headphones that I liked have scores:

AKG k701 \ k702 \ q701 - 10
K612 Pro - 9
Sennheiser HD598 - 9.25
dt 990 - 8
Philips Fidelio X2 - 8
Game One - no score

And headsets:

Steelseries Siberia 840
HyperX Revolver S
HyperX Cloud II
Razer Kraken V2 7.1
Razer Man'O'War 7.1

Comparing Sennheiser Game One to q701 which one is better?

Which one will be the best for positioning, detailing and soundstage?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #39,336 of 48,565
Hello,

I need some advice on a headphone setup, i currently have a BW p7 for music paired with sound blaster X7 and for gaming a sennheiser game zero with again SBX7.
I like the sound signature of the sennheiser brand, but i already own a momentum for music and game zero for gaming so on that front im covered.

I'm curious about planar magnetic headphones (hifiman he400s and monolith m1060 and audeze el8 open back) in terms of sound quality and if they are any good for gaming, i never tried one and where i live we don't have any stores to try them out.

In this thread i saw recommendations about the AKG 712pro, bayerdynamic dt990, philips fidelio x2 and sennheiser hd650 in terms of gaming.
I don't now if the HD650 is different in terms of sound signature and if justifies the purchase, and also recently my game zero´s ripped on the inside of the ear coups the material is not as strong as the outside of the ear coups, i like way more the quality of ear pads on the BW P7, but i'm trying to find a replacement ear pads for the game zero.

So i was considering this headphones for gaming but also for music and if paired with the SBX7 they gain any advantage in terms of sound, for example my sennheiser game zeros the day i bought them, just the headphones alone the sound was good but very neutral, so i decide to buy the SBX7 to improve the sound quality and the volume on the headphones and the difference was night and day.

Nov 19, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #39,337 of 48,565
Hello,

I need some advice on a headphone setup, i currently have a BW p7 for music paired with sound blaster X7 and for gaming a sennheiser game zero with again SBX7.
I like the sound signature of the sennheiser brand, but i already own a momentum for music and game zero for gaming so on that front im covered.

I'm curious about planar magnetic headphones (hifiman he400s and monolith m1060 and audeze el8 open back) in terms of sound quality and if they are any good for gaming, i never tried one and where i live we don't have any stores to try them out.

In this thread i saw recommendations about the AKG 712pro, bayerdynamic dt990, philips fidelio x2 and sennheiser hd650 in terms of gaming.
I don't now if the HD650 is different in terms of sound signature and if justifies the purchase, and also recently my game zero´s ripped on the inside of the ear coups the material is not as strong as the outside of the ear coups, i like way more the quality of ear pads on the BW P7, but i'm trying to find a replacement ear pads for the game zero.

So i was considering this headphones for gaming but also for music and if paired with the SBX7 they gain any advantage in terms of sound, for example my sennheiser game zeros the day i bought them, just the headphones alone the sound was good but very neutral, so i decide to buy the SBX7 to improve the sound quality and the volume on the headphones and the difference was night and day.

Purely my opinion of course but I'd sell the P7 and Momentum and keep the Game Zero and your SBX7.
Forget the planars you listed and the other headphones as well, except the HD650 (or HD600, HD660S, HD6XX Massdrop). All the HD6.. phones are among the best headphones around for music at any price point (there are very expensive headphones that aren't nearly as good). They perform very well for gaming as well but I'd still keep the Game Zero.
Surely keep your SBX7 since it's a very nice gaming amp, you'd need to spend a lot more to get better. It isn't bad for music as well but if you want a better music setup then look at the small Schiit amps and dacs or combo. (Modi + Magni or Jotunheim with built in Dac or Asgard + Bifrost if you want to spend some more.)

Edit: you can find new cushions for your Game Zero straught from the Senn website: https://en-us.sennheiser.com/hzp-41

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #39,338 of 48,565
Can anyone give advice with choosing headphones for 1st person shooters like Rainbow 6 Siege, Battlefield, CS:go and so on.

I'm going tu buy soundcard Creative AE-5 and I have about $200-250 for headphones\headset new or used and choosing between headphones. I've read FAQ on the first page and according to it headphones that I liked have scores:

K612 Pro - 9
Sennheiser HD598 - 9.25
dt 990 - 8
Philips Fidelio X2 - 8
Game One - no score

And headsets:

Steelseries Siberia...

For absolutely best possible distinguishing of footsteps and such neutral/weak bass is must.
(so that your ears have no distractions)
Meaning AKG K701/702 are pretty spot on.

Q701 was apparently discontinued and has about disappeared from sale at least in Europe.
Also not sure if Q701 was ever updated to smooth headband instead of bumpy one, unlike K701/702.
So for comfort difference might be notable.
You no doubt want good enough comfort to wear them for whole day.

Having used Sennheiser HD595 (before DT990) wouldn't consider this millennium's HD59x design with those AKGs around.
Sure those Sennheisers have really nicely balanced neutral sound and good comfort.
But that sleek looks includes mechanically rather horrible earcup attaching to head band.
That design counts on having good molding tolerances and plastic mix to prevent stresses caused by design from starting cracks.
(then getting absolutely zero support for 200€ product...)

But that very neutral/weak bass also cripples "fun factor" with explosions and such simply lacking feel/immersion.
So after those weak bass cans there's another "balanced sound" headphone group with good strength in bass and notch lower competitiveness.

AKG K712 Pro you missed might be best for that balancing between good fun factor and competitiveness.
(considering ~230€ price here in not the cheapest country Finland might find good price also in US)
Should be able to do direct comparison between it and DT990 in next weekend or so depending on when shop I have order in gets Beyer's earpads.

So your choise is really between best competitiveness and lack of fun factor or balancing between them.
Though trying to boost weak bass for taste has its risks, while there's no risk of signal clipping in giving some minus dBs to bass in equalizer.

Dolby Headphone has tendency to bloat bass, so for that would definitely want neutral bass cans.
But Creative's binaural-simulation keeps bass neutral (or kills it in case of old CMSS-3D) so they work with some strength above nautral bass.
(and boom boom goes the bass bucket in head soundstage closed junks suck always)

And why are you even considering made in China for cheapest possible price for maximum profits gaming brand junks?
Reason why everyone and their pet dog wants share of gaming product market is that they can take cheap junk, give it flashy colours/look and fancy name and sell it with super high profit margins.
Roller coaster's loop wouldn't look out of place in many of these frequency response curves:
https://uk.hardware.info/reviews/60...gher-quality-testresults---frequency-response

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #39,339 of 48,565

So i was considering this headphones for gaming...
First post of this thread covers quite a lots of cans including HD650.
For gaming I wouldn't want to compromise in soundstage.
Sure music can truly benefit from having smaller/more "intimate" soundstage...
But in gaming nothing beats having feel for if gun shots come from nearby, mid range or really far away.
(check BF4 video of previous post)

Or how about some "healthy paranoia":

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #39,340 of 48,565
And why are you even considering made in China for cheapest possible price for maximum profits gaming brand junks?
Reason why everyone and their pet dog wants share of gaming product market is that they can take cheap junk, give it flashy colours/look and fancy name and sell it with super high profit margins.
Roller coaster's loop wouldn't look out of place in many of these frequency response curves:
https://uk.hardware.info/reviews/60...gher-quality-testresults---frequency-response

wow that graphs look...strange for headphones))

I looked at gaming headsets because it's the first idea that came to my brains. I want gamin => i need gaming headset :)

A thought that if there are so many reviews over the Internet of gaming headset, if many gamers use them, then there is some rational motive for this...And if good stereo headphones cost, for example, $200 and gaming headset costs $300 then it should be all the same from stereoheadphones for $200 + additional extras for gamin' ))

And besides, in the FAQ Sennheiser Game One is called almost the best headset for gaming....

For absolutely best possible distinguishing of footsteps and such neutral/weak bass is must.
(so that your ears have no distractions)
Meaning AKG K701/702 are pretty spot on.

Q701 was apparently discontinued and has about disappeared from sale at least in Europe.
Also not sure if Q701 was ever updated to smooth headband instead of bumpy one, unlike K701/702.
So for comfort difference might be notable.
You no doubt want good enough comfort to wear them for whole day.

Having used Sennheiser HD595 (before DT990) wouldn't consider this millennium's HD59x design with those AKGs around.
Sure those Sennheisers have really nicely balanced neutral sound and good comfort.
But that sleek looks includes mechanically rather horrible earcup attaching to head band.
That design counts on having good molding tolerances and plastic mix to prevent stresses caused by design from starting cracks.
(then getting absolutely zero support for 200€ product...)

But that very neutral/weak bass also cripples "fun factor" with explosions and such simply lacking feel/immersion.
So after those weak bass cans there's another "balanced sound" headphone group with good strength in bass and notch lower competitiveness.

AKG K712 Pro you missed might be best for that balancing between good fun factor and competitiveness.
(considering ~230€ price here in not the cheapest country Finland might find good price also in US)
Should be able to do direct comparison between it and DT990 in next weekend or so depending on when shop I have order in gets Beyer's earpads.

So your choise is really between best competitiveness and lack of fun factor or balancing between them.
Though trying to boost weak bass for taste has its risks, while there's no risk of signal clipping in giving some minus dBs to bass in equalizer.

thanks for simple and clear explanation!

I've just looked for advertisements of the sale of k712 in my country, but it costs $330-360 USED!!!! Damn :frowning2:

k701 costs ~$120 , k702 costs ~$170 and dt 990 costs from $130 to $170.

Actually I don't know about bass, balance and other moments. I had ath-a700x (close backed) for gaming.but I'm not satisfied with sound. I took from a friend ath-ad700 (open backed) and they sound more clear, but , as you say "fun factor" isn't too great. I hear explosive, I hear shooting, but my heart doesn't start beating faster of this sound))

How are 990's or k701 comparing to ad700's sound?

And I'm going to buy soundcard for all this stuff and choosing between Creative AE-5 and Creative ZXR. AE-5 uses dac Sabre, which is more detailed, but less "fun" sound and ZXR has DAC Burr Brown, which is one of the lovest dacs, it has warmer sound, but less detailed. And also I've read about driver problems for ZXR running under Windows 10 (it doesn't save EQ settings) and AE-5 has Scout 2.0 instead of 1.0 in ZXR. And this is another difficult question, without answer for me:frowning2:

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #39,341 of 48,565
Hi there!

K612 Pro - 9
Sennheiser HD598 - 9.25
dt 990 - 8
Philips Fidelio X2 - 8
Game One - no score

And headsets:

Steelseries Siberia 840
HyperX Revolver S
HyperX Cloud II
Razer Kraken V2 7.1
Razer Man'O'War 7.1

Comparing Sennheiser Game One to q701 which one is better?

I loved my HD558 setup with a modmic, but since I game on console sometimes I got annoyed with running two cables so I picked up the Sennheiser PC37X headset from Massdrop. The PC37X is a little bit less comfortable than the HD558s but both have a good imaging and sound. Good enough for me, while I am gaming, at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back