Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 8, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #43,426 of 48,562
I dunno why head-fi isn't updating me on this thread, unless I keep commenting. I'm freaking subbed.

I didn't know about any comments for like over a week.

Anyways, I'm currently in the process of writing about the Schiit Hel and Fulla 3.

I've had a disastrous time trying to find free time to write these past few weeks. I miss the times when I would be off from Sunday afternoon until Wednesday night. Now I gotta work sunday nights, and it's messing up any headphone time. I feel particularly bad for Schiit, as I told them I'd be writing weeks ago. I just haven't had the time. They understand, but still, I hate holding on to gear like this.

I THINK I'll be expecting something truly new from Drop soonish. Can't say what yet. Othger than that, I might take a break or slow down, because I truly just don't have the kind of time I used to.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #43,427 of 48,562
Thank you so much and if I could ask one more follow-up question to that . Would it make a significant difference whether it's using an optical cable to a DAC amp or if I use a portable DAC amp that can plug into the controller directly? I'm guessing the optical cable would be ideal?

Dec 8, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #43,428 of 48,562
Thank you so much and if I could ask one more follow-up question to that . Would it make a significant difference whether it's using an optical cable to a DAC amp or if I use a portable DAC amp that can plug into the controller directly? I'm guessing the optical cable would be ideal?
optical cable would be far more ideal as you're grabbing a digital signal. Grabbing audio from the controller means you're at the mercy of its internal dac and amp, in which then you'll be amping again, which is not what you want to do.

With a digital signal, you're just taking the 0s and 1s and converting that with your better dac, and amplifying only with your better amp.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #43,430 of 48,562
Awesome thank you so much for your information!
Further to Mad Lust Envy's comment, an additional consideration is virtual surround sound. The PS4 can only output 2 channel stereo via USB or through the controller. If you get a gaming Dac/amp with an integrated virtual surround solution and an optical input then an optical connection would allow your PS4 to bitstream 5.1 Dolby Digital multichannel signal to the Dac/amp which could then in turn apply its virtual surround processing algorithm to give you virtual surround sound (depending on the unit used, the virtual surround solution would be Dolby Headphone, DTS headphone X or Creative SBX). The exceptions to this are Sony's wireless headsets (Gold, Platinum etc.) which offer Sony's own house Virtual Surround algorithm wirelessly via a dongle.

If you just go with a non-surround dac/amp then you would be at the mercy of the game's in-built audio processing. Some but not all games have programmed-in virtual surround settings for headphones but these are generally not considered to be as effective as the previously mentioned method which takes a signal meant for true surround speaker systems and converts it to virtual surround. For those games that do not have pre-programmed in virtual surround sound you would just be getting a vanilla stereo experience.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #43,432 of 48,562
Further to Mad Lust Envy's comment, an additional consideration is virtual surround sound. The PS4 can only output 2 channel stereo via USB or through the controller. If you get a gaming Dac/amp with an integrated virtual surround solution and an optical input then an optical connection would allow your PS4 to bitstream 5.1 Dolby Digital multichannel signal to the Dac/amp which could then in turn apply its virtual surround processing algorithm to give you virtual surround sound (depending on the unit used, the virtual surround solution would be Dolby Headphone, DTS headphone X or Creative SBX). The exceptions to this are Sony's wireless headsets (Gold, Platinum etc.) which offer Sony's own house Virtual Surround algorithm wirelessly via a dongle.

If you just go with a non-surround dac/amp then you would be at the mercy of the game's in-built audio processing. Some but not all games have programmed-in virtual surround settings for headphones but these are generally not considered to be as effective as the previously mentioned method which takes a signal meant for true surround speaker systems and converts it to virtual surround. For those games that do not have pre-programmed in virtual surround sound you would just be getting a vanilla stereo experience.
When you say "gaming DAC/amp", we can assume you mean external sound card?

Dec 8, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #43,433 of 48,562

While on the subject, I do have both versions of the Mix amp the older one with orange bottom and the TR edition. The TR edition's SS sounds so tinny. Does anyone know if there is any settings to help with that or is it just the way they made it? the older one sounds better, but it's on it's last legs....Might invest in a better dac/amp.. Was seeing if they made that much of a difference in sound overall and it sounds like they do. Thanks for all the info everyone.

Dec 8, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #43,434 of 48,562
When you say "gaming DAC/amp", we can assume you mean external sound card?
They are sometimes referred to as "external sound card(s)", yes. By "gaming", I specifically mean those external dac/amps designed/marketed with gaming as a primary or significant use case, as outside a small handful of exceptions, such gaming branded devices tend to be the only external headphone dac/amps that offer any kind of discrete surround sound decoding for VSS conversion. There are of course, a few gaming branded dac/amps that don't offer VSS conversion but these tend to be the exception rather than the rule.

Lack of surround decoding and/or various gaming and/or multimedia oriented features/enhancements aside though, at the end of the day, a Schiit dac/amp or any other branded vanilla all-in-one headphone dac/amp is just as much an "external soundcard" as one of the aforementioned gaming dac/amps.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #43,436 of 48,562
Thanks again all for the advice

I used to come on these forums years ago and get brilliant advice
When i ws here years aho sennheisers pc360 were great MLE gave them a 10 for competive play

But i could never buy them i think every where i checked was out of stock or to dear at the time

I was just checking amazon for your recomdations and seen the pc 360 for sale at half the price of sennheisers game one
In the past i always wanted the pc360 because peole here said they were excellent

So what would you guys score the pc 360 now if you were to score them for competetive play only

I would love to hear MLE opinion on these now if he still rates them highly

If possible MLE could you tell me what version of the Pc 360 you reviewd
I think theres two versions so wanna buy the right
the version on sale is the pc 360 special edition

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #43,437 of 48,562
Thanks again all for the advice

I used to come on these forums years ago and get brilliant advice
When i ws here years aho sennheisers pc360 were great MLE gave them a 10 for competive play

But i could never buy them i think every where i checked was out of stock or to dear at the time

I was just checking amazon for your recomdations and seen the pc 360 for sale at half the price of sennheisers game one
In the past i always wanted the pc360 because peole here said they were excellent

So what would you guys score the pc 360 now if you were to score them for competetive play only

I would love to hear MLE opinion on these now if he still rates them highly
If it's the £89.99 Amazon listing you are talking about, then you'd probably be better off just paying the extra £15 and going for the GSP500. They are basically the successor model to the Game One's which were already better designed and slightly better specc'd than the PC 360s. Unlike the Game One and GSP 500, the 360s don't feature a detachable cable (so you're screwed if it breaks unless you are willing to repair it yourself or pay to have someone repair it for you). Additionally, they are harder to drive than the GSP 500.

Or, if you are set upon the look and headband design of the 360s then get this from Drop (formerly Massdrop), it is the most recent iteration of that fundamental design but also has a detachable cable and slightly better specs. Converted into pounds it's about £105, shipping included, no customs or VAT (at least until if and when we leave the EU).

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-pc37x-gaming-headset-eu

Dec 8, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #43,438 of 48,562
I think ive narrow downed my search to 3 diffrent headphones
Pc 360 \ Gsp500 \akg 702
Out of the three
What do you guys think would be best for soundwhoring on a ps4
With an astro mixamp pro tr
These headphones will only be used for hearing enemies footsteps to pinpoint where they are
I will be plsying call of duty mw19

My current setup is superlux hd somthing
I bought these headphones after yiu guys recomened them to me years ago
There good for a budget but i need to upgrade to a better headphones
I would love to hear all your opions the more the better

You guys are the experts

Any thing you recomened in the past has been great

Dec 8, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #43,439 of 48,562
I think ive narrow downed my search to 3 diffrent headphones
Pc 360 \ Gsp500 \akg 702
Out of the three
What do you guys think would be best for soundwhoring on a ps4
With an astro mixamp pro tr
These headphones will only be used for hearing enemies footsteps to pinpoint where they are
I will be plsying call of duty mw19

My current setup is superlux hd somthing
I bought these headphones after yiu guys recomened them to me years ago
There good for a budget but i need to upgrade to a better headphones
I would love to hear all your opions the more the better

You guys are the experts

Any thing you recomened in the past has been great
I'm no expert but for pure sound-whoring, the K702. Obviously, you would need to make provisions for the mic.

I can't stress this enough though, there is *zero* upside to you choosing the PC 360 over the PC 37X other than saving £15 or so. That extra £15 is well worth the spend given the advantages the 37X has over the 360.

@xxxkinel One last point, and then I'll shut up about the PC37X. If you're reticent about the 37X and more inclined towards the PC360 because the former is only available on Drop whereas the latter is available on Amazon, don't be. Drop is a legit retailer.
The reason why you won't find the 37X stocked new anywhere else is because they are an exclusive collaboration between Sennheiser and Drop. They partnered together for development and marketing of the product so that should give you some indication as to Drop's legitimacy.

[merged]

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 8, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #43,440 of 48,562
The problem i have is sombody else is buying them for me and i know they will only buy from amazon or ebay

The only online shops i can buy from are ebay or amazon
That is why i preferd i could buy from a shop myself
Thank you for your help love the more advice the better

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back