Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 14, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #43,261 of 48,562
Taking another shot at this.

Recently picked up Sound BlasterX G6, still in return window. If my budget were ~$600 for a headphone dac & amp, would the SBX G6 still be ideal or beat out by something else in terms of quality/perf for gaming?

Nov 14, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #43,262 of 48,562
The echo (reverb) is how it sounds. It's a lot better than when it initially came out, it was too reverby. They've tamed it somewhat.

I'll let others chime in on EQ but I don't believe you will really tame the reverb with the EQ as that's sort of inherent in their VSS solution.

My understanding is the front lineout does NOT pass the SXFI signal. It is only a PCM stereo signal for two fronts.

Thank you, I figured the echo is part of what makes it sound spacious. I will spend more time with it as I only had about an hour to try it out yesterday.

So how would you pass the SXFI signal to an external amp? Is it not possible? I guess I could do from the headphone out in the front but then that would be double amping.

Nov 14, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #43,263 of 48,562
Thank you, I figured the echo is part of what makes it sound spacious. I will spend more time with it as I only had about an hour to try it out yesterday.

So how would you pass the SXFI signal to an external amp? Is it not possible? I guess I could do from the headphone out in the front but then that would be double amping.
Yeah you have to double-amp. It's a head scratching omission for a desktop device. Perhaps given SXFi is still a relatively new product, they want to try and control the entire audio chain to ensure the sound is delivered as intended, or something. Who knows.

I remember in the early days of the X7 you could not pass the SBX out via the optical out, which they added later in the product's life cycle via a firmware update. Maybe they will do the same with this product?

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #43,264 of 48,562
Yeah you have to double-amp. It's a head scratching omission for a desktop device. Perhaps given SXFi is still a relatively new product, they want to try and control the entire audio chain to ensure the sound is delivered as intended, or something. Who knows.

I remember in the early days of the X7 you could not pass the SBX out via the optical out, which they added later in the product's life cycle via a firmware update. Maybe they will do the same with this product?

I see, that is unfortunate. I guess I will play around with the SXFI Air for awhile to see how I like it. I still have to try Waves NX. Maybe the G6 is the one to get since I can use any amp/dac with it and still get SBX, but Ive been hearing that Super X-Fi has much better rear cues. This is difficult.

Im wondering if I am limited by the 6xx soundstage for VSS. And if I will get more performance with another pair of headphones and something like a G6 or X3, but of course thats a much higher cost. Does VSS add enough processing that the inherent traits of the headphones make less of a difference?

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #43,265 of 48,562
I see, that is unfortunate. I guess I will play around with the SXFI Air for awhile to see how I like it. I still have to try Waves NX. Maybe the G6 is the one to get since I can use any amp/dac with it and still get SBX, but Ive been hearing that Super X-Fi has much better rear cues. This is difficult.

Im wondering if I am limited by the 6xx soundstage for VSS. And if I will get more performance with another pair of headphones and something like a G6 or X3, but of course thats a much higher cost. Does VSS add enough processing that the inherent traits of the headphones make less of a difference?

The SXFi rear (and front) cues are better than SBX, definitely. (I say front, because when I finally heard a real front cue, like the sound is really coming from a distance directly in front of me, it was as cool as the first time I heard a real rear cue.) I did not find Waves NX to be that great honestly. (Not better than SBX.) I think you need head tracking to really take advantage of Waves.

If you want to try another really good PC VSS solution try Out of Your Head, specifically the "gamer" preset (which is the only cheap one). You can try it free for 7 days. It's the only VSS I have heard on part with SXFi in terms of accurate rear cues. The UI is clunky and old looking but if you get it working it is really good. It uses in ear recordings from the Smyth A8, the god-tier of virtual surround sound. (Now only bested by the $4k A16...)

I have a 6xx but honestly have not touched it in years, so I can't really say how it handles VSS.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #43,266 of 48,562
The SXFi rear (and front) cues are better than SBX, definitely. (I say front, because when I finally heard a real front cue, like the sound is really coming from a distance directly in front of me, it was as cool as the first time I heard a real rear cue.) I did not find Waves NX to be that great honestly. (Not better than SBX.) I think you need head tracking to really take advantage of Waves.

If you want to try another really good PC VSS solution try Out of Your Head, specifically the "gamer" preset (which is the only cheap one). You can try it free for 7 days. It's the only VSS I have heard on part with SXFi in terms of accurate rear cues. The UI is clunky and old looking but if you get it working it is really good. It uses in ear recordings from the Smyth A8, the god-tier of virtual surround sound. (Now only bested by the $4k A16...)

I have a 6xx but honestly have not touched it in years, so I can't really say how it handles VSS.

Thank you, ill try the OOYH trial when I get home. Are you using sxfi air, sxfi amp or x3? What's your gaming headphone of choice nowadays?

Nov 14, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #43,267 of 48,562
Thank you, ill try the OOYH trial when I get home. Are you using sxfi air, sxfi amp or x3? What's your gaming headphone of choice nowadays?

I use SXFi (via the SXFi dongle) on PC, SBX (X7) on console, and Atmos on games that natively support it (e.g. Modern Warfare, Borderlands 3.) I rotate headphones but predominantly use the HD800S.

Of all my headphones though for the price vs. what you get I have a soft spot for the HE-560. Just a fantastic headphone for VSS and there are occasionally sales on it. The 400i is also in that category for me.

In the other direction, maybe the best price to performance ratio of all time? Koss Porta Pros. (Seriously.)

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #43,268 of 48,562
I should hopefully be finishing up the LCD-1 review by Tuesday. I'm probably gonna buy Origin Access for $15 this month to play through Jedi Fallen Order and the new Need for Speed.

I really haven't gotten a lot of time to play games lately and been playing Valkyria Chronicles 4 sparingly throughout the past few weeks.

Between the LCD-1, and next the Schiit Fulla 3 and Hel, I don't have all that much free time, especially now that I work an extra day a week. It's really messed me up.

Nov 16, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #43,270 of 48,562
Testing different 3D audio solutions SXFI, Nahimic, Waves NX, Windows Sonic, all on COD MW. Nahimic surprisingly had the best positional audio that also brought out the footsteps. SXFI is the most cinematic but muddy's up the sound. Waves NX is not that bad but not that great I like it for music more than gaming.

Nov 18, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #43,272 of 48,562
Testing different 3D audio solutions SXFI, Nahimic, Waves NX, Windows Sonic, all on COD MW. Nahimic surprisingly had the best positional audio that also brought out the footsteps. SXFI is the most cinematic but muddy's up the sound. Waves NX is not that bad but not that great I like it for music more than gaming.

Did you download Nahimic for gamers? Is it compatible on a custom pc because it has a list of compatible laptops. Are you using SXFI with the air headphones or with the x3/amp?

Nov 18, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #43,273 of 48,562
SXFI with the amp and many different headphones. Nahimic I used with the ROG armoury software bundled with the ROG Delta headset you can also get nahimic with EVGA Nu Audio. Nahimic really seemed to highlight direction and footsteps in the new CODMW. SXFI sounds wide and big and has good direction of gun shots and such but seemingly hard to hear footsteps sometimes.

Nov 19, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #43,274 of 48,562
@Mad Lust Envy I've been playing with this combo since Hel released...pretty stoked on the combo. I also use ZMF Verite opens/closeds and the Aeolus with the Schiit Hel... pretty impressed by this lil bit of kit! Fits a niche that was missing from my gaming desktop =) plus like in my quote it has my favorite current DAC chip!
@Jason Stoddard The Hel fits in the LCD-GX case almost perfectly! Making this a very portable setup for gaming on the go! If you flip the Hel over the knob sits in the cable section and it is even more secure, but even as shown in the picture the case closes and secures the Hel in place =) EDIT: also in the pictures I have all accessories for both the LCD-GX (both cables and mic) and the Hel (Outlet plug, both USB cables, and the included mic/headphone split). Pretty cool synergy! both in color and transportability...also this has been my go to gaming combo since I received the Hel! Super stoked by this combo but especially the Hel, as it is a solution I've been waiting for! plus it has my current favorite DAC chip in it!! Plenty of power to run even my ZMF Verites (open and closed) and my ZMF Aeolus (which I am listening to right now through the Hel :L3000:)

from top down perspective

Users who are viewing this thread

Back