Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 15, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #38,881 of 48,566
While not directly answering your question, I find that planars resolve 3D positioning, especially with surround sound, far better than dynamics.

The in your head or 3 blob imaging of planars works very well when surround sound processing is used since DSP pushes the audio away from you. I find that while dynamic headphones give a more realistic soundstage with stereo content, the added depth of 3D processing makes sounds seem too distant.

Thanks, interesting perspective re: planars generally being better specifically for surround. Sort of matches my personal bias in preferring the 400i in games where imaging is important over all the others I own (AKG 7XX, DT770Pro, Hd598, V Moda M100). I guess I'm sort of wondering if the grass is a lot greener somewhere else. It's been like 6 months since I made a frivolous headphone purchase so I'm getting twitchy...

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #38,882 of 48,566
While not directly answering your question, I find that planars resolve 3D positioning, especially with surround sound, far better than dynamics.

The in your head or 3 blob imaging of planars works very well when surround sound processing is used since DSP pushes the audio away from you. I find that while dynamic headphones give a more realistic soundstage with stereo content, the added depth of 3D processing makes sounds seem too distant.

I agree with this 100% ... my HE400 has a 3D like soundstage with a lot of depth...While My K702 has a wide soundstage...it has no to little depth...I would use my HE400 for immersive fps gaming hands down...it is a bit uncomfy though...on the heavy side...

To me comfort matters the most..Ok, You have the best sounding headphone, but if you cannot keep it on your head for more than 1 hour because of clamp, heaviness , ears getting hot or annoying headbands...I think it is not an ideal headphone...

May 15, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #38,883 of 48,566
Thanks, interesting perspective re: planars generally being better specifically for surround. Sort of matches my personal bias in preferring the 400i in games where imaging is important over all the others I own (AKG 7XX, DT770Pro, Hd598, V Moda M100). I guess I'm sort of wondering if the grass is a lot greener somewhere else. It's been like 6 months since I made a frivolous headphone purchase so I'm getting twitchy...
Not to dissuade you from getting another headphone, but what are you using as a DAC and amp? Those can make a pretty big difference for everything you listen to.

May 16, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #38,884 of 48,566
I'd say, after my testing, that surround sound is 1. personal preference 2. related to headphones soundstage and performance.

When I listen to GSX test videos with apple earpods I am really immersed but when I listen to very same video with HD558 it sounds terrible.

Personally, for now I stick with stereo.

May 16, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #38,885 of 48,566
Not to dissuade you from getting another headphone, but what are you using as a DAC and amp? Those can make a pretty big difference for everything you listen to.

Creative X7. I've pondered upgrading the OP-amps. But otherwise for strictly surround processing, I'm not sure there is an alternative that is a hugely discernible upgrade that is compatible with both consoles and PC?

With the new windows surround, or with something like Razer's virtual surround, I suppose I could upgrade my DAC/AMP and use virtual surround...but I'd still need a console solution as I use both. X7 seems to be the best solution for that currently.

May 16, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #38,886 of 48,566
I think you're correct. I used to use the Mixamp but the noise level and overall quality wasn't up to my standards. I recently bought a Soundblaster Z and it sounds far better than Dolby, but unfortunately, Xbox One doesn't output regular 5.1 through optical so it won't work with the Soundblaster Z. Virtual options are okay, but I far prefer SBX over Razer virtual surround. I haven't been able to get windows surround to work but am curious about it.

May 16, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #38,887 of 48,566
Creative X7. I've pondered upgrading the OP-amps. But otherwise for strictly surround processing, I'm not sure there is an alternative that is a hugely discernible upgrade that is compatible with both consoles and PC?

With the new windows surround, or with something like Razer's virtual surround, I suppose I could upgrade my DAC/AMP and use virtual surround...but I'd still need a console solution as I use both. X7 seems to be the best solution for that currently.
There's also the Smyth Realizer A16 whis is both pc and console compatible.
Also, Razer Surround is awful.

May 16, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #38,888 of 48,566
Oooo yeah the Realizer. I am dying to try one. Does anyone here have one yet?

The one thing that kept me from jumping on that kickstarter was I have no access to a surround system to calibrate it with. Is there a way to do that without a studio or 7.1 speaker setup of your own?

May 16, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #38,889 of 48,566
Oooo yeah the Realizer. I am dying to try one. Does anyone here have one yet?

The one thing that kept me from jumping on that kickstarter was I have no access to a surround system to calibrate it with. Is there a way to do that without a studio or 7.1 speaker setup of your own?
You can download other people's calibrations and upload them to Your Realizer. @Evshrug You received the A16 yet?

May 16, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #38,890 of 48,566
Not yet, looks like the kickstarter was delayed and first shipments will be like August.

However, I'm flying to Munich tomorrow for the High End Show (and my face/skin is totally stressing out!) to meet the Sennheiser team (will post adventures on Twitter! @Evshrug). I'm sorely tempted to book another Realiser demo, even though I had one in February haha.

May 17, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #38,893 of 48,566
Superlux HD668B (+a mic) vs Cloud 2 vs Sennheiser GSP 300 for competitive gaming(CS GO)
I would want ath-ad700 but they cost 200 euro in europe. Or maybe an other headphone
When given a choice between brand new mediocre gear and used awesome gear always go for the latter one.

May 17, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #38,894 of 48,566
Superlux HD668B (+a mic) vs Cloud 2 vs Sennheiser GSP 300 for competitive gaming(CS GO)
I would want ath-ad700 but they cost 200 euro in europe. Or maybe an other headphone
If you have the power (i.e. enough amp) AKG K701/K702 or even K612 could be good alternatives to ATH-AD700x and are a bit cheaper in Europe.

May 20, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #38,895 of 48,566
I'm stuck - want a new set of Headphones but stuck between 3 options:-

Playing on PS4, using a Creative G5 for mainly FPS games (BF1, Destiny in the main). Currently using Superlux HD681 Evo with a VModa Boom via an adaptor.

Now looking at Sennheiser 598se (with an adaptor), AKG K701/712 (I have a mini XLR to 3.5mm adaptor already for the mic) and Fidelio X2 (worried they may be a bit focused on the bass for my liking).

Would like any headphones to be decent with music listening also when not gaming.

Cheers in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back