Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 4, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #43,396 of 48,566
I really doubt there is a issue with plugging headphones that are 50-Ohms or higher, into the GSX 1000.
Sennheiser recomends headphones in the 16-Ohm to 150-Ohm range, I would assume 250-Ohm beyers would work fine.

If you went with a external DAC/amp, you would want a DAC that comes with an optical input, as optical will allow you to use the features of a sound card.
The optical setup can be used with on-board audio or a cheap sound card (used Sound blaster Z?)
Where as a USB DAC will bypass the features of a sound card.

Creative Labs sells headphone surround sound software, for $30, that works with most on-board audio processors.

Maybe just buy a Creative Labs AE-5 (used eBay), everything you need in one unit.

If i end up buying a sound card, ill probably go for one of the new sound blaster's. That's what i'm trying to figure out though. As far as i can tell, the only difference between a dac/amp setup, and a soundcard, is the software. The question then is, is this software a "godsend" for what my goal is here, or is regular stereo playback with an amp to drive the headphones correctly better. These are the questions i need input on, based on experience preferrably.

Dec 4, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #43,397 of 48,566
I guess a fair amount of FPS gamers prefer the Creative Labs Z series or newer AE series of sound cards.
There are a few who prefer Dolby Headphone.
Some like using 3rd party headphone surround sound software (Razor or other).
Some even prefer to use simple stereo audio, for FPS gaming.

With the external (optical) DAC, you can plug it into on-board audio or a sound card (for Dolby or CMSS-3D or SBX or Asus radar or other).
Also with the external optical DAC, you have the option of gaming it stereo audio.

With the newer Creative AE series, you can use the headphone surround sound feature, or just set the sound card for stereo audio.

Dec 4, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #43,398 of 48,566
Are mids important for gaming?

If bass equals fun and treble equals competitive, what do mids equal?

Also.

Are immersive headphones, and fun sounding headphones, the same thing or not?

Mids pretty much cover everything from voices to ability sounds. Getting the competitive edge is more than just hearing footsteps, you know. I’d go to even say that bass is a distraction since it’s range is about 80-250hz. That’s such a small range compared to the the much wider range that mids have.

So yeah mids are very important. If you still prefer a V shape, I’d get headphones that don’t have a DEEP V if gaming is important to you.

Dec 4, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #43,399 of 48,566
How much difference does these new "virtual surround" algorithms do when strictly looking at geographical pinpointing (footsteps/gunshots)?
To put it simply, virtual surround sound helps you get a better sense of front and back. This dimension is degraded on traditional stereo because stereo is left and right channels only. Complicating matters is that PUBG is a game that has a virtual surround sound option, the "hrtf" option in the audio menu. But conveniently, a youtuber has used this setting to demonstrate the benefits of virtual surround. Keep in mind that all the directional problems highlighted are not specific pubg problems but are stereo audio problems, and whether they occur in pubg or other games, virtual surround sound processing can fix them.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #43,400 of 48,566
So as spotted a week or so ago - the G3 is the new console focused Soundblaster product.

https://sg.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-g3

Glad it has Game/Voice mix and that it allows the app to change settings. Looks like there is no SBX or VSS in this though and dislike the fact the optical in is on the front - not cable friendly for a lounge set up. Looks to be a budget offering based on the price on the Singapore Creative website though.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #43,401 of 48,566
To put it simply, virtual surround sound helps you get a better sense of front and back. This dimension is degraded on traditional stereo because stereo is left and right channels only. Complicating matters is that PUBG is a game that has a virtual surround sound option, the "hrtf" option in the audio menu. But conveniently, a youtuber has used this setting to demonstrate the benefits of virtual surround. Keep in mind that all the directional problems highlighted are not specific pubg problems but are stereo audio problems, and whether they occur in pubg or other games, virtual surround sound processing can fix them.

I was thinking more of third party VSS solutions, alà creative's x-fi and sennheiser's gsx 1000. Would these be useless on top of for example pubg's HRTF? I guess ill just try the K702's with the onboard audio, then look into something else if i find the setup don't meet my expectations.

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #43,402 of 48,566
I was thinking more of third party VSS solutions, alà creative's x-fi and sennheiser's gsx 1000. Would these be useless on top of for example pubg's HRTF? I guess ill just try the K702's with the onboard audio, then look into something else if i find the setup don't meet my expectations.

You’re the new PC gamer, right? If so, I’m in the same boat. I just got my new cans yesterday and they sound anemic plugged into my motherboard. Strangely enough they sound a tad better hooked into my keyboard’s audio pass through, but it’s still pretty bad.

Not sure what I’m going to do at this point.

Dec 5, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #43,403 of 48,566

You have to choose one or the other. Really, the most important thing is to not use regular stereo. Whether you get virtual surround sound from an in game option or third party is not as big of a deal imo. Though, most games will not give you an option for virtual surround sound like pubg does. So if you want to play apex legends for example, then you would need third party.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #43,404 of 48,566
You’re the new PC gamer, right? If so, I’m in the same boat. I just got my new cans yesterday and they sound anemic plugged into my motherboard. Strangely enough they sound a tad better hooked into my keyboard’s audio pass through, but it’s still pretty bad.

Not sure what I’m going to do at this point.

I'm not new to pc gaming, but i haven't done a lot of gaming at all in recent years. I played a lot of cs 1.6 and wc3 etc back in the day. Back then, at least for cs 1.6, sound position was not an issue with simple onboard audio and a cheap "gaming headset". I read something about microsoft removing sound API from windows years back. Don't know if that's true or if that is why audio in newer pc games seem simple and dull.

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #43,405 of 48,566
I'm not new to pc gaming, but i haven't done a lot of gaming at all in recent years. I played a lot of cs 1.6 and wc3 etc back in the day. Back then, at least for cs 1.6, sound position was not an issue with simple onboard audio and a cheap "gaming headset". I read something about microsoft removing sound API from windows years back. Don't know if that's true or if that is why audio in newer pc games seem simple and dull.

My bad, I meant that you were the new member who plays on PC.

WC3 was my jam! I can't wait for the Remaster.

Dec 5, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #43,407 of 48,566
FPS Gamers, here are my results. My 3 headphones, k702, HE4XX, and AD900x have arrived. Please note that I am running them without an amp yet out of my laptop's built-in audio chip.

Game: Battlefield 1
Windows Sonic for headphones: ON
In-game settings: Headphones, Surround
No external AMP/DAC in this test

1. Imaging Short Range: K702 = AD900x = HE4XX
2. Imaging Long Range: K702 > AD900x > HE4XX
3. Separation of sounds: K702>HE4XX>AD900x. K702 has the cleanest distinction of sounds. AD900X throws all sounds at you in one lumped up package; sounds like a dirty mess.
4. Sound Stage: K702=AD900x > HE4XX. The AD900x has a hollow sounding stage, you can hear the air, hear echo, hear the emptiness, not clean.
5. Sound of my gun: Loudest and most immersive on AD900x, balanced on K702, acceptable on HE4XX.
6. Sound of footsteps: In BF1 is very low on HE4XX, not competitive, makes me lose. Will an amp improve it or should i use EQ to better hear footsteps (which frequency?)

K702 is clear winner without any amp. Wallhack can.

I am researching 3rd party VSS software to use other than Windows Sonic. I don't know how to buy the soundblasterx 720 suite. Razer surround, free version, sounded too bassy but good enough for positioning. Still looking.

I have an Sp200 amp and SU-8 dac on their way.

Screenshots within 1 hour of gaming with the k702:

https://imgur.com/a/RQ3XsjI

https://imgur.com/a/hJrVZUZ

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #43,408 of 48,566
So as spotted a week or so ago - the G3 is the new console focused Soundblaster product.

https://sg.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-g3

Glad it has Game/Voice mix and that it allows the app to change settings. Looks like there is no SBX or VSS in this though and dislike the fact the optical in is on the front - not cable friendly for a lounge set up. Looks to be a budget offering based on the prince on the Singapore Creative website though.

What a let down (although when the picture leak there wasn't much to expect from a dongle I guess). Also, "Making our first foray into gaming audio on consoles."

?? Umm, guys...

upload_2019-12-5_20-28-19.png

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #43,409 of 48,566
Creative are aiming to release an update to the G6 before the end of the month that adds Voice/Game balance for PS4 users. If that's the case, this product is pretty redundant - except for being able to connect to it with a mobile app to change settings. If they had just launched an updated G6 with that feature it would have been a far better solution imho. A dongle like that just doesn't work in a lounge set up as far as I'm concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back