Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 16, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #43,681 of 48,566
Ordered the X2HR’s to use with my smsl dac on console. Wonder why they’re so much cheaper than the X1’s were.

2 specific reasons aside from those already stated:

1. The X1s are rarer than the X2s and thus more of a collector’s item. Philips don’t make them anymore and although most reviewers and many users see the X2s as an upgrade, there is a small but vocal minority that prefer the X1 and see the X2s as a downgrade.

2. X2s are as cheap if not cheaper than they have ever been because there are plenty on the market and retailers are trying to shift them before the successor model X3 launches (scheduled for this quarter).

I don’t know if I have the settings on my PS4 pro or Xbox one X set correctly. I have everything setup through optical, but what settings are correct on the consoles end in order to get optimal VSS?

Set to Bitstream Dolby Digital via optical (not PCM). IIRC, in the case of Xbox, you may need to do this twice / separately for games vs non-gaming media discs (separate settings for games and streaming apps versus non-gaming disc media). For most games this will be sufficient (go into the game’s own audio settings, if there is no option for speaker configuration then nothing more is needed, if on the other hand, there is, then you need to choose a multichannel speaker config, not headphones, stereo speakers or TV speakers).

Also, with Xbox, make sure you do not have headphone virtualisation on (Windows sonic, Dolby atmos for headphones etc.) at the same time as Creative SBX. You can use these if you prefer but make sure it’s one or the other so SBX only or Atmos for headphone only etc.

Finally, ensure that you have things like SBX Crystalliser, Dialogue Enhancer and Bass boost off. Start with only SBX virtual surround enabled and then gradually introduce any superfluous features you want gradually by degree according to how useful they are and how much they colour the sound.

Lastly:

The HD800S’s are ridiculously open, much more so than other cans like the Fidelio X2 that I see you own too (I also own the HD800s and X2). This is great when you have a very quiet environment. Not so great for immersion if you have even slight interference from ambient environmental noise. Do you wear glasses? I do, with frame arms very thin and close to the sides of my face but they’re still enough to completely break the seal of the HD800s’s and compromise the holography and soundstaging somewhat. Not like the X2s with their thick plush velour covered memory foam that ensure an adequate seal even with my glasses on. As a result I tend to only use the HD800s’s when I am wearing contacts.

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #43,682 of 48,566
The DT-1990 Pro has everything you want in a gaming headphone:

For competitive, use the Analytic pads with no EQ for lower bass, higher detail, fast dynamic attack/decays, excellent layering to pick out footsteps/gun cocks. Natural soundstage for pinpointing locations.

For immersive gaming, same pads with Oratory1990 PEQ: better bass response, cans can extend into the subbass range for rumble. Timbre will be meaty and have impact. You still have great detail too.

IMO, they're gaming overkill. Which isn't a bad thing. :)

I'm glad to hear this! thanks :)

They are coming tomorrow hopefully,cannot wait to try them!

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #43,683 of 48,566
I'm glad to hear this! thanks :)

They are coming tomorrow hopefully,cannot wait to try them!
He forgot to mention that they look beautiful. And they are very well made.

Jan 17, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #43,684 of 48,566
If someone tells you they want an open-back headphone that has the same imaging and soundstage capability as the AKG K702 but with a higher quality bass: meatier, tighter, and with rumble. Which headphone comes to mind? Open to as many suggestions as you have, no budget limit. Application is competitive FPS gaming and single player games.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #43,685 of 48,566
Raal Requisite SR1A, it's not the same though, it's just everything you want and never knew you wanted

enjoy

Jan 17, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #43,688 of 48,566
The DT-1990 Pro has everything you want in a gaming headphone:

For competitive, use the Analytic pads with no EQ for lower bass, higher detail, fast dynamic attack/decays, excellent layering to pick out footsteps/gun cocks. Natural soundstage for pinpointing locations.

For immersive gaming, same pads with Oratory1990 PEQ: better bass response, cans can extend into the subbass range for rumble. Timbre will be meaty and have impact. You still have great detail too.

IMO, they're gaming overkill. Which isn't a bad thing. :)

Could the xonar DGX drive these? or would you recommend a better amp/dac

Jan 18, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #43,689 of 48,566
Could the xonar DGX drive these? or would you recommend a better amp/dac
I suggest a Xonar STX II if you want an internal card. The DT1990 is 250 Ohm. It needs some real amp power. Or get the small Schiit stack Magni/Modi. There are ton of options, the DGX is not very powerful.

Jan 18, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #43,690 of 48,566
Goodmorning guys,

I have a few questions on how to get Dolby Atmos, DTS X (or Virtual Dolby/DTS for non-enabled games) sound through headphones with the apps "Dolby Access" and "DTS Sound Unbound".
I'm just trying to figure out the basics here and what hardware I need.

So which of these would work?
- internal/external (USB) soundcard with phones cnnected to the phones out of the card would probably work but this is what I'm trying to avoid.
- would my Sennheiser GSX 1000 work with these apps?
- a receiver connected via HDMI to NVidia graphics card and using the phones out of the receiver?
- a monitor connected with phones out via DP?
- a soundbar with phones output connected via USB?
My preference would be the receiver but how would I set that up?

How do I use it from an Xbox? Normally it's phones connected to the controller I guess but would it work with the receiver as well?

Any info anyone can give me on using a receiver with PC or Xbox in conjunction with Dolby Acces/DTS Sound Unbound and how to get started would be very welcome.

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #43,692 of 48,566
Goodmorning guys,

I have a few questions on how to get Dolby Atmos, DTS X (or Virtual Dolby/DTS for non-enabled games) sound through headphones with the apps "Dolby Access" and "DTS Sound Unbound".
I'm just trying to figure out the basics here and what hardware I need.

So which of these would work?
- internal/external (USB) soundcard with phones cnnected to the phones out of the card would probably work but this is what I'm trying to avoid.
- would my Sennheiser GSX 1000 work with these apps?
- a receiver connected via HDMI to NVidia graphics card and using the phones out of the receiver?
- a monitor connected with phones out via DP?
- a soundbar with phones output connected via USB?
My preference would be the receiver but how would I set that up?

How do I use it from an Xbox? Normally it's phones connected to the controller I guess but would it work with the receiver as well?

Any info anyone can give me on using a receiver with PC or Xbox in conjunction with Dolby Acces/DTS Sound Unbound and how to get started would be very welcome.
Any of those would work.

-You should just apply Atmos or DTS X for headphones to the relevant audio out in your PC’s sound manager.

-Ensure that any other VSS solutions are turned off and that any in-game settings (where speaker setup can be configured) are set to the highest number of channels available.

Use the Dolby Access app or DTS X sound unbound app to guide you through the setup process if you are having difficulty.

- Remember to ensure that you have the virtualisation box ticked in the Windows spatial settings and don’t try and change the sample rate and bit depth once Atmos / DTS for headphone is activated. Windows confines them to 16 bit / 44khz for some reason. If you change them it automatically deactivates Atmos / DTS.

As for Xbox you can use the Dolby Access app to guide you through the setup process for applying Atmos for headphones and DTS Headphones X to HDMI and optical output. Be mindful that for something like Netflix or Amazon Prime Atmos content, you need to have either Atmos for home theater or Atmos for headphones activated/enabled in order for the streaming app in question to list an Atmos soundtrack for the content in question. If you don’t have it enabled then it will just the soundtrack as 5.1.

Not sure about DTS X for Xbox, it’s not on the regular user OS builds yet AFAIK, but I think I might have heard it to be available on the Insider programme.

Jan 18, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #43,693 of 48,566
Thank you very much @SierraMadre !

A few more questions though if I may
- I case of using DTS:X for example on the receiver, should I choose DTS:X or DTS Virtual:X?
- on the GSX 1000 I disable all post-processing options on the physical screen but should I choose stereo or 7.1 on that screen?
- where do you find "virtualisation box ticked in the Windows spatial settings"? I can find no box to tick there only a drop-down menu to choose the kind of virtualisation to apply.

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #43,694 of 48,566
If someone tells you they want an open-back headphone that has the same imaging and soundstage capability as the AKG K702 but with a higher quality bass: meatier, tighter, and with rumble. Which headphone comes to mind? Open to as many suggestions as you have, no budget limit. Application is competitive FPS gaming and single player games.

and if the budget is below $1500?
Preserving that level of soundstage while also offering “meatier, tighter, and with rumble” is a tall order AFAIK even with a 1500 dollar budget. Soundstage of that magnitude tends to require open back and at least neutral if not bright presentation at least with dynamic drivers. Maybe the Hifiman Edition X V2 for a planar magnetic or on maybe one of the closed back Fostex’s noted for their soundstage on the dynamic side but I doubt you’ll get exactly what you describe for either.

If you are good with most of the way there for relatively cheap then for open-backed, the AKG K7XX combined with the Dekonii Elite Velour Hybrid pads for added warmth and bass is a great choice. Bass is punchy enough to be satisfying although perhaps not quite enough for bassheads.

Thank you very much @SierraMadre !

A few more questions though if I may
- I case of using DTS:X for example on the receiver, should I choose DTS:X or DTS Virtual:X?
- on the GSX 1000 I disable all post-processing options on the physical screen but should I choose stereo or 7.1 on that screen?
- where do you find "virtualisation box ticked in the Windows spatial settings"? I can find no box to tick there only a drop-down menu to choose the kind of virtualisation to apply.
1. If we are talking about using DTS Headphone X on the PC or Xbox output then you choose neither. Headphone X is just a post processing algorithm, as is Virtual X. The difference is that the former is obviously designed specifically for headphones while the latter is designed for either upmixing a sound bar or 5.1 system into a semi-virtual 3D audio experience (with simulated height channels etc.) or upmixing non-3D multichannel content to fit a true DTS X speaker setup. For DTS headphone X should leave all post processing on the receiver off. The receiver will just be receiving a stereo PCM signal with DTS post processing applied at source (PC).

2. Not sure as don’t have one to hand but probably stereo.

3. You need to go into properties in the sound manager control panel.
sonicforheadphones-100718576-orig.jpg
. . .Unless that is they have removed it. Come to think of it I think I remember reading that they did and just made it automatically on by default.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back