1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (12/10/2019: Schiit Gaming Dac/Amps 'Hel' and 'Fulla 3' added)

Discussion in 'Video Games Discussion' started by mad lust envy, Jan 17, 2011.
  1. Yethal
    As a former SRH1840 owner, get Fidelio X2. It accepts VModa BoomPro mic and is more comfortable to use over long periods of time.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  2. dub Beatz
    Anyone here have experience with the HD700s? I'm about to pull the trigger on some. I currently have the Beyerdynamic MMX300 which are very similar to my old DT770 pro 80s. I love the fact that they're fun and also pretty damn accurate for competitive gaming. Would the HD700s disappoint me because of their neutrality?

Also, I use the creative omni 5.1 external soundcard which claims to have a 600ohm headphone amp. Should I purchase a different DAC with vss? (I'm a huge VSS fan and always have been). I could get a separate amp as well if you guys think I need it.

3. Yethal
    HD700 aren't neutral, they're as bright as the sun.

4. dub Beatz
    Interesting. Are they "fun" like the beyerdynamics? Cinematic games like Battlefield are a blast to play with them, and they're still good enough to give me an advantage when I need to hear footsteps etc. I'm also pretty sensitive to treble, should I steer clear?

5. Yethal
    No, they're bright headphones. You may want to try ModHouseAudio's HD700 modkit if you're too sensitive to treble and still want to own HD700.

6. dub Beatz
    From what you're saying then it sounds like the HD700s aren't for me. Any other fun but accurate headphones you can think of that are an upgrade to the dt770 pro 80s?

7. headphonesonly
    For competitive gaming I’d go for dt880 instead unless you find a pair of hd700 for under $200

8. kayan
    Pulled the trigger on the x2HR. Any good amp suggestions? I want to keep them fun, but still give me access to the footstep bonus:)

9. dub Beatz
    I was gonna buy the HD700s for $300 which seemed good to me. As for the DT880, they seem like more of a sidegrade than an upgrade. I suppose this will be the case for most headphones I want to purchase to replace my MMX 300s. I've seen people recommend the X2HR, which seem like they're fun but also good for gaming?

10. Yethal
    higher end beyers

11. headphonesonly
    X2 would be just like the Mmx 300. The m570 are a good upgrade and are also $300. It’s got a slight vshaped sound signature with good bass extension and very detailed treble. Some of the best I’ve used for gaming.

12. kayan
    When I was demo’ing headphones a few years ago I had the chance to try the HD700. They were way, way too bright for my tastes. I sold all my gear a year ago (give or take). I didn’t love the dt770 either. The x2HR are on sale for 100 from Amazon right now. I liked the original x2 well enough so grabbed the x2HR (and another can).

13. dub Beatz
    Wow, monoprice headphones I had no idea these were a thing. And planar magnetics too? How hard are they to drive?
    Also, do you have any experience with Massdrop's offerings? They have some really good deals going on right now, so if you recommend any of them I'd probably pull the trigger.

14. headphonesonly
    They’re pretty efficient. They run off my phone pretty well

15. headphonesonly
    The 4XX is also a good choice but has rolled off bass which is disappointing considering that it’s also a planar headphone. But for $130 it’s a steal. A pad swap would help with the bass though.