1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (12/10/2019: Schiit Gaming Dac/Amps 'Hel' and 'Fulla 3' added)

Discussion in 'Video Games Discussion' started by mad lust envy, Jan 17, 2011.
  1. PurpleAngel Contributor
    Return the GSX1000 and buy an external headphone amplifier and connect it to the Ti-HD's (Titanium-HD) line-output (RCA) jacks.
    Plug headphones into external head amp.

2. WhiteHartMart
    Thanks for suggestion - will give that consideration. In the UK at the moment the GameDac is £130, I can get the X7 for £195 so not a huge difference (especially if I can sell the G6 I guess). Will have a think!

SierraMadre likes this.
  3. Mad Lust Envy Contributor
    I didn't use an SXFI amp. It was the Creative Air headset that had built in SXFI.

4. mindbomb
    Make sure the headphone cable is plugged in all the way. Use a headphone extension cable if you just can't get it fully in.

SierraMadre likes this.
  5. Mad Lust Envy Contributor
    So happy I found my PortaPro wireless, behind some papers in my glove compartment. YAAAAS

6. ronfifer
    I received my first AKG K702 today, only for the purpose of competitive FPS gaming.I play on an MSI GT62VR laptop with on-board Realtek HD chip; no external soundcard or AMP/DAC stack, yet. I plugged my AKG K702 directly into the headphone jack of my onboard audio chip and it got way too loud at 65% Windows volume.

1. Do you believe I still need to get an amp/dac for other sound improvements? Like improving separation, detail retrieval, and sound-stage? Is it worth it?

2. As of now I have no virtual surround sound solution to downmix into my K702 and play in surround sound settings. Do you recommend a software that can do that? (Razer Surround stopped selling licenses to non-owners)

7. Thenewbie76
    Guys this is gonna sound really dumb but how do I use the G6 or even the GSX 1000 as a DAC only with surround sound software and connect it to an external amp? I have a THX 789 and plan on using it with mainly a JDS Labs atom for my UNI setup.

ronfifer likes this.
  8. SierraMadre
    Connect the G6 to PC, set 7.1 channel config and “apply headphone virtualisation to line-out”, turn on SBX surround and any other required features. Connect the lineout to the amp. That’s it.

Not sure about the GSX1000 as dunno if the line-out is passthrough only or whether GSX can be applied to it.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    Thenewbie76 likes this.
  9. Thenewbie76
    So I need to have a line out cable to 2 Male RCA cable right? The PC then sends the signal to the G6 the line out sends the signal to the Amp.

Edit= Any good cable brands to get it from?

10. SierraMadre
    You’d be best off getting a G6 or something like that or you will be limited to virtual surround pre-programmed into the game by its devs and not all games have that while software-only solutions applied to stereo-only onboard sound chips are meh.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  11. SierraMadre
    PC to G6 via usb, standard 3.5mm lineout to RCA split going to the amp. Wouldn’t worry about cable brands at short distances, anything with half-decent shielding will do. I wouldn’t pay more than 20 bucks for it.

Thenewbie76 likes this.
  12. Thenewbie76
    Thx for the reply boss

SierraMadre likes this.
  13. halcyon
    Something is wrong if the volume control is not working. Can't debug from here, hard to say what it is.

As for sounding muffled, my GSX1200 did not sound muffled compared to SoundBlaster X7, when using the following settings:

upload_2019-11-28_12-31-41.png

That is:
    - Audio : 7.1 (has to be enabled also in Windows Sounds Control Panel)
    - Equalizer: Movie (story) or eSport if you find the Movie not to your liking
    - Headset: no sidetone
    - Environment: No "plus" signs
    - Sound Focus: NO "arrows" (i.e. no front or back speaker increase)

What headphones are you using?

What is your Windows Volume set to?

14. SierraMadre
    His sig mentions HD598.

Re GSX surround, I don’t have extensive experience with GSX1000 beyond limited testing of a friend’s. I own devices for SBX, SXFI, Waves NX, Atmos for headphone, DTS X, pretty much all the usual suspects. How would you say GSX compares in terms of projecting depth (center channel etc.) and the effect of virtualisation on fidelity?

15. ronfifer
    All the games that i play regularly are designed to output surround sound so that's not an issue. Any thoughts?