Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 28, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #43,096 of 48,562
thanks a lot! Any idea how their perforated sheepskin pads sound like? I am not a fan of velour pads skin-contact-wise

I have no experience with the sheepskin but here is a summary of the differences between pads by a Dekoni rep (on Massdrop forum comments on Dekoni pads for AKG K series product page).

https://drop.com/buy/dekoni-premium-earpads-for-akg-k7xx/talk#discussions

DekoniAudio

“We designed these pads around the K701 (the “8 bumps” version), and one of our officemates uses the Fenestrated Sheepskin on his K612 Pro for gaming frequently. He’s kind of a nut though, he has 20 of his own headphones, and borrows our company headphones after we are done designing pads for them. He is typing to you now :wink: Pad rolling makes a smaller difference on open headphones than closed back headphones, because there is no reverberations (aka “ringing”) from the back of the open earcup. The AKG K7XX is a semi-open Design, but it still is mostly open. If your current pads are a bit more “loved,” you will probably notice that the Dekoni give your ears more room (no more ears touching the driver cover!). This may slightly increase the soundstage, imaging might be slightly more diffuse (but I still have “audio radar” and wreck face when I’m playing Apex with surround processing, it’s not even fair!)

The Elite Velour pads sound the most similar to stock, with the “tightest” sound, most absorption of mid and treble “reflections” for the best soundstage and detail, and a similar tonal balance. The Velour is a bit of a tighter weave, so this helps give a small amount of extra bass.

Elite Sheepskin and Protein Leather are easiest to clean when going sweaty tryhard, and add a bit more impact, sharpness, and bass to the sound. Still great soundstage, but more intense. The Protein Leather is a bit lighter and holds a touch less heat (and less expensive), but heat isn’t much of an issue with the Sheepskin either and Sheepskin just has that premium feeling. I use Fenestrated Sheepskin or Hybrid Pads the most for gaming because they are the best of both worlds. The Fenestrations (holes) take a bit of the edge or glare off the treble, while you still get that modest boost in bass from the Sheepskin (and they wipe clean easily with an alcohol wipe).

Since the K701 belong to the office, touching my/their hair oils and skin and stuff I just think it’s kind to keep them clean for sharing The K612 Pro are mine (I used to have a K712 = K7XX), so I like to use the Hybrids because I like the feel of velour against my skin, while still getting the Fenestrated Sheepskin sonic benefits.”

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #43,098 of 48,562
Which amp/dac would give me full potential of k702, and k712 mostly for gaming wise. I want to know how much more I have to spend on dac/amp if I would get k712 instead of k702? Currently have dragonfly black..
The K712 and K702 are both 62-Ohm, so both would use the same voltage, for a given amount of volume.

Oct 29, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #43,100 of 48,562
Volume of footsteps has nothing to do with your amp/dac to begin with. Those sounds are part of the frequencies. So some footsteps may be heard at for example 1khz. So you would use an EQ program to emphasize 1khz. Yes, a headphone may pick up smaller details depenbding on headphone, but even a cheap gaming headphone can pick up things like footsteps if they're speciaslized in specific frequencies where the footsteps are heard. No amp/dac is going to improve this. AT least not on the level of an equalizer emphasizing footstep frequencies.

Just as bass lives between say 0-120hz or so, footsteps have frequencies themselves. Each game and even the same game may have footsteps being audible at different ranges. There is no simple solution here. It depends entirely on the game and whether the game's audio engine even has good footstep presentation to begin with.

Oct 29, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #43,101 of 48,562
Volume of footsteps has nothing to do with your amp/dac to begin with. Those sounds are part of the frequencies. So some footsteps may be heard at for example 1khz. So you would use an EQ program to emphasize 1khz. Yes, a headphone may pick up smaller details depenbding on headphone, but even a cheap gaming headphone can pick up things like footsteps if they're speciaslized in specific frequencies where the footsteps are heard. No amp/dac is going to improve this. AT least not on the level of an equalizer emphasizing footstep frequencies.

Just as bass lives between say 0-120hz or so, footsteps have frequencies themselves. Each game and even the same game may have footsteps being audible at different ranges. There is no simple solution here. It depends entirely on the game and whether the game's audio engine even has good footstep presentation to begin with.
Thanks, so I'll use eq. Which amp/dac will be good for k702/712 to 150$? Magni 3, or something will be better?

Oct 29, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #43,102 of 48,562
I dunno, I don't have any amp/dac at that price range. The Magni 3 is an amp only. I assume you can just use your Dragonfly as a dac for the Magni 3, and that would work fine enough.

Oct 29, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #43,103 of 48,562
I dunno, I don't have any amp/dac at that price range. The Magni 3 is an amp only. I assume you can just use your Dragonfly as a dac for the Magni 3, and that would work fine enough.
Magni 3

So what will give amp/dac for k702 and ad700x in terms of gaming? Im interested whats the pros and cons having paired these headphones with amp/dac

Oct 29, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #43,104 of 48,562
It's a simple Headphone amplifier. No gaming purposes. If you want something better suited for having look into the Creative G6, as it gas SBX virtual surround.

It also all depends on what you're playing on. Ps4, PC, Xbox, what? The K702 is still something that scales better with powerful amps, though if you just want high volume the G6 is high enough. Also the G6 kind of needs a pc to change some settings, so only go for that if you have a PC.

No more above i can give you at that price range. Any everything I could recommend is on the first page.

Oct 29, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #43,105 of 48,562
It's a simple Headphone amplifier. No gaming purposes. If you want something better suited for having look into the Creative G6, as it gas SBX virtual surround.

It also all depends on what you're playing on. Ps4, PC, Xbox, what? The K702 is still something that scales better with powerful amps, though if you just want high volume the G6 is high enough. Also the G6 kind of needs a pc to change some settings, so only go for that if you have a PC.

No more above i can give you at that price range. Any everything I could recommend is on the first page.
Im playing on PC, but I mean what will give to these headphones if we dont plug them to amp/dac in terms of gaming

Oct 29, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #43,106 of 48,562
Im playing on PC, but I mean what will give to these headphones if we dont plug them to amp/dac in terms of gaming
Just get the Creative Soundblaster G6. It’s the best gaming dac/amp within your price range.

Alternatively, you could go for the Soundblaster X3. It’s not quite as good as the G6 in dac/amp terms but it does offer both Super X-Fi virtual surround and SBX virtual surround (whereas the G6 offers only SBX). The X3 also offers 7.1 analogue outs to connect desktop surround speakers if you wish. Google Super X-Fi if you are unfamiliar with it.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #43,107 of 48,562
So Schiit is sending me the new Fulla 3 as well as the HEL. These may be more ideal for gamers that don't plan on playing with virtual surround. I'll give them a go and let you guys know what I think. They at the very least have analog inputs, so if you have a virtual surround device, you can still use the Fulla 3 or HEL as amp only devices. Or if it were my main setup, I'd switch between the analog in for the virtual surround from something like a Creative G6, and switch to the Schiit Fulla/HEL's internal usb dac when listening to music/other stereo only needs.

Shame there's no optical input, which would make the HEL a lot more compelling, but Jason at Schiit told me it'd have to use a whole other chipset and mess up the design. Fair enough.

The HEL definitely has enough juice for most headphones though, so it could make for a compelling device for those who need more power, as well as mic input. The only other device I casn think of with this much power would be the X7, and that's quite a bit more expensive.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #43,108 of 48,562
Guys, I have a Sennheiser HD 598 and willing to upgrade to a Sennheiser HD 58x or AKG K7XX. Are those two options considerable better than the HD 598, exclusively for gaming?

And will a Sennheiser GSX 1000 be a massive upgrade when compared to my Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #43,109 of 48,562
Guys, I have a Sennheiser HD 598 and willing to upgrade to a Sennheiser HD 58x or AKG K7XX. Are those two options considerable better than the HD 598, exclusively for gaming?
And will a Sennheiser GSX 1000 be a massive upgrade when compared to my Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD? Thanks!
I doubt the HD58X will offer any benefit for gaming, over the HD598.
But the HD58X should make music more lively, over the HD598.

Oct 29, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #43,110 of 48,562
So Schiit is sending me the new Fulla 3 as well as the HEL. These may be more ideal for gamers that don't plan on playing with virtual surround. I'll give them a go and let you guys know what I think. They at the very least have analog inputs, so if you have a virtual surround device, you can still use the Fulla 3 or HEL as amp only devices. Or if it were my main setup, I'd switch between the analog in for the virtual surround from something like a Creative G6, and switch to the Schiit Fulla/HEL's internal usb dac when listening to music/other stereo only needs.

Shame there's no optical input, which would make the HEL a lot more compelling, but Jason at Schiit told me it'd have to use a whole other chipset and mess up the design. Fair enough.

The HEL definitely has enough juice for most headphones though, so it could make for a compelling device for those who need more power, as well as mic input. The only other device I casn think of with this much power would be the X7, and that's quite a bit more expensive.

Curious on how you like them. So, no Asgard 3 with optical then? :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back