Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 11, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #41,341 of 48,562
I remember when I upgraded to Burson V5i opamps on the X7 and had really bad cables and pops. I thought it was the opamps, but it was the USB cable. Swapped it oht for some no name, and it sounded perfectly fine.

I'm not someone to preach about usb cables, but I would at the very least say to find a cable known to do well for audio duties.

That and yes every usb port on your pc. I have noisy ports in all but like one or two ports.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #41,342 of 48,562
I had a chance to check out your G6 review, well done. I agree 100% with your description of SBX. A few years ago my asus stx sound card crapped out, so I replaced it with a sound blaster because it was cheaper. I use the optical out to feed my dac/amp. SBX is just better in my experience than Dolby Headphone. It might be sacrilege to say on head fi, but I actually prefer leaving SBX on all of the time with some headphones. Like the th900 for example, they sound fantastic with SBX. I dont care if it is accurate or not tbh, sounds good!.

Oct 11, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #41,343 of 48,562
I remember when I upgraded to Burson V5i opamps on the X7 and had really bad cables and pops. I thought it was the opamps, but it was the USB cable.

Thanks. I'm using the Creative supplied X7 original USB cable. Already have iFi ground loop breaker and iFi USB Noise filter.

Guess it's time to splurge on a more expensive, properly shielded USB cable and re-arrange all my USB output (now X7 is on an USB controller that is not sharing bandwidth with other USB devices and the controller has it's own, non-shared IRQ).

Oct 11, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #41,345 of 48,562
When I installed the bursons v5i I had a very loud hum when in the left channel. Problem disappeared after i plugged my router into a different power strip

Oct 12, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #41,347 of 48,562
When I installed the bursons v5i I had a very loud hum when in the left channel. Problem disappeared after i plugged my router into a different power strip
That's so random!

And yeah i didn't mean to get a fancy usb cable. Just find one that works. The one I initially had just went bad for some reason.

Though that's nothing new for me when it comes to micro usb. Micro usb is cancer.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #41,348 of 48,562
Unless your USB cable is actually audibly creating problems, like crackling or going out, there is nothing a different expensive cable will actually do. You do not need to splurge, any cheap monoprice cable will do fine.

Generally I agree. I can always run this on scope too. However, these intermittent X7 dropping out of my system (as if disconnected) are bothering me. This has persisted through two different mobos, systems, X7 psus. So, cable is a relatively cheap thing to test next.

And no, don't have issues with audio quality using the current cable.

Oct 12, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #41,349 of 48,562
SBX Pro is definitely better than Dolby Headphone, no contest. I think it is hard to be sure it is better than CMSS before it however, they are pretty similar. The Sennheiser GSX 1000 implementation is better than SBX Pro in my opinion, the directionality is fairly similar but the tone is impacted less and so produces a more natural soundstage without loosing direction, you still get the impact of lower frequency sounds where SBX Pro butchers them completely.

Not that long ago I also came across Spartial sound card on Steam and it is basically as good as SBX Pro but entirely in software and $20. So it is a cheaper solution that will run through a DAC/AMP or onboard and so gives you the choice of SBX Pro like surround but without having to deal with an actual soundblaster card, so I think it is a better and cheaper solution now for a PC. But given the option I'll always take a Sennheiser GSX 1000, I just think its over priced but its surround sound is the best I have heard (of the modern 5.1/7.1 surround sound sort, A3D is still the bees knees).

Say I had a way to give you a virtual sound card using a personally captured transform that was unique to how you heard, would you be interested in buying such a thing? I have been working on it for a while but I really have no idea if it is worth completing the project and how much interest there likely is.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #41,350 of 48,562
We already discussed something similar in HeSuVi but I don't wanna promote it due to legal gray area, so best leave that talk about Hesuvi itself alone.

There is also Darin Fong's Out Of Your Head which is its own thing, which is also a software solution and works wonders, but is quite pricey. It's really good though. For PC only gamers, it may be worth checking out.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #41,351 of 48,562
Annotation.png
Hey I was wondering if someone with a G6 can post a screenshot of the gaming eq preset. I was tweaking mine and didn't like it and hit revert. This sets the eq to flat instead of the stock preset. Tried uninstalling and re-installing the software but the preset stayed flat.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #41,352 of 48,562
Flat is the default... You can just turn off EQ, it'll still be the same result. It defaults to gaming as that is the first preset, and it doesn't do any EQ. RPG also has a flat line. Both have EQ turned off by default, and if you turn them on, the curve is flat.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #41,353 of 48,562
Seeing the new Assassin's Creed game able to actually max out the cpu usage on a 6 core i5 8400, I was thinking about how the use of software vss would actually in theory hurt performance. So there is still something to be said for the performance benefits of a hardware solution, at least if you don't have smt or more cores.

Oct 14, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #41,354 of 48,562
I would think a software solution has an insignificant amount of impact to performance. Surely not a noticeable level.

Oct 14, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #41,355 of 48,562
How do I get mic support with the X7 connected to PS4? I have hd660s and blue yeti or Sennheiser game ones. I thought switching to the game ones would make it work but I read that front mic port is not supported by PS4. I've seen people on here talking about the bluetooth adapter from creative but I was reading what it does and it sounds like it is just for bluetooth headphones. Unless I am missing something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back