1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (11/19/2019: Audeze LCD-1 Added)

Discussion in 'Video Games Discussion' started by mad lust envy, Jan 17, 2011.
  1. Mad Lust Envy Contributor
    Nah, the Air is self contained, so it doesn't make sense to use with the X7. SXFI needs the USB PC signal for proper 7.1 SXFI. If you you use X7 you'd either be getting the expanded stereo form of SXFI, or worse, double processing with SBX and SXFI.

Rather, you CAN use the X7 with the Air through the aux input, which is a solid method of using the Air, as long as it's powered off when doing that. You could use it as a regular headphone in that case, though then that sort of makes it a weird choice for that. May as well get a better headphone if you're not gonna use the Air's features.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    silverthornne likes this.
  2. Got the Shakes
    Great review! I do have a question though, and I apologize if I skipped over it by mistake. I see all of the different apps for phones and PC that are needed to get the full experience with the Air, but if I don’t have an Android phone, only iOS and Windows devices can I actually do the head mapping or is that still limited to the Android app like the Super X-Fi amp? I’m really tempted to pull the trigger on these as I just got a laptop with a HDR OLED panel and these would be the perfect headphones to pair with that mobile setup.

3. Mad Lust Envy Contributor
    I'm sorry, I don't have an IOS device, but I'm certain Creative has an equivalent app for you there. I probably should've mentioned that.

4. Got the Shakes
    They didn’t used to, but I just looked and it appears that they launched one in February on iOS.

5. Mad Lust Envy Contributor
    Yeah, just checked the product page, it says Apple Store SXFI app is supported.

6. illram
    Just saw this. Yes, you can headmap without the device. But as you point out you're limited to their music player for playing media. Also for whatever reason there was terrible static when I tried playing without the device (the terrible stock song that comes with it, ugh) that I couldn't replicate anywhere outside the app.

There is an iOS app, I just tried it with my iPad (only iOS device I have) and you can headmap on it. Hopefully you have an iPhone and not an iPad though as the app uses the iPhone screen size on the tablet.....tsk tsk Creative.

--------

Also in playing around with my Android audio settings just now checking all this I noticed a Dolby Atmos setting has creeped into my Android settings since the last update. What? That's huge. I have been waiting for that for a while, I guess I live under a rock because I just figured this out...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  7. halcyon
    Thank you for the detailed and excellent review, as always!

A couple of questions:

- Is the 24b/96kHz mode available when the headphone is detected as a 7.1 input sound device? Or do you have to switch between 16bit/48kHz for 7.1 and 24bit/96kHz for stereo, like in Sennheiser GSX?
    - Can't find the Synthetic Premium Earpads anywhere for sale on Creative (Europe) site: do you have a part number or a direct sales link to the product?
    - You talk very little directly about positional accuracy, other than it being best of class. Can you elaborate a bit? How is the front-to-back localization? How is the accuracy/pinpointing of sounds coming from the backwards facing 180° cone? Is it better than the rest in these regards? I assume there is no improvement in up/down directional cues with 7.1 input signals?

I was reasonably content with X7 AND/OR GSX 1200 + THX00 for gaming, but now I'm torn whether I should give SXFI Air C + Premium pleather earpads combo a try.

8. halcyon
    This is slightly off-topic and I agree no support for AptX is a bit weird (it is probably due to price reasons, as this requires a separate Qualcomm license), but you might be interested in reading the following write up on BT audio codecs, their performance and pricing:

Audio over Bluetooth: most detailed information about profiles, codecs, and devices
    https://habr.com/en/post/456182/

monsieurfromag3 likes this.
  9. Mad Lust Envy Contributor
    1. You can set it to 24/96 and forget it. I assume it goes down to 16/44 for 7.1.
    2. I asked them directly abhout the pads, he still hasn't gotten back to me. I was wondering where the link for the item was. Couldn't find it.
    3. I talk very little of them because it's hard to describe how one dsp sounds more realistic than the next, when they both have good front/back. All I can say is that SXFI sounds the most convincing in throwing out audio cues in a horizontal circle to my ears. But if you can discern front to back with iother dsps, this isn't going to make those obsolete. I just think it sounds more natural? Don't know if that's how I would describe it.

halcyon likes this.
  10. Vader2k
    Evshrug and halcyon like this.
  11. stavros.m
    thanks for sharing your setup. I am assuming you game on the PS4? How are you liking Bloodstained?

thanks again

12. Zachik
    @Mad Lust Envy - very nice review for the Creative SXFI Air.
    Did you test the 5.1 or 7.1 for movie watching? Specifically on a PC streamed from Netflix / Hulu / Amazon Video?
    Also, would the Creative Amp turn any headphones to 5.1 / 7.1 (from PC source)?

13. Mad Lust Envy Contributor
    Sorry, I don't have the Creative SXFI amp, so I'm unsure at how SXFI works with that in comparison to the Air. Unless it has PC drivers and attached through usb, I wouldn't think it can do 5.1/7.1 conversions.

And no, I awake about to test streaming services. Tbh I don't think I've yet to grasp how to get proper multi channel audio through my streaming devices or video players. I don't have netflix or hulu. Just Prime Video.

14. Zachik
    Did you test the headphones for movie watching? obviously interested in 5.1 and 7.1 when streaming on PC from Netflix/Hulu/Amazon...

15. Mad Lust Envy Contributor
    I tried, but like every other virtual surround dsp, I can't get surround information properly through my video player software or streaming devices. I don't know how to set it up. Even when Prime says 5.1 or whatever, it seems like it's only taking stereo information.

Also my biggest complaint with movies is that they lack rear audio channels for almost everything but slight ambience. It's rare for me to hear a movie where you get a consistent amount of rear audio. I only ever get that when I play blu-rays and dvds through ps4 on stuff like the Mixamp.

With games, it's easy to test as most games are easily to manipulate and get surround cues.

Mind you, it might be easy with Hulu or Netflix, but I never use those programs.

Zachik likes this.