Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 17, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #42,166 of 48,562
If a movie has Dolby Atmos or Digital, Dolby Headphone and SBX will do the proper virtualvirtual s on headphones.

So DVDs will almost all work, and some Blu-Rays will, though I think most Blu-Rays are encoded in DTS.

PS3 had a way to bitstream Dolby even with a DTS encoded movie, but ps4 doesn't.

Basically, ANYTHING Dolby through ps4 will do proper Dolby Headphone or SBX.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #42,168 of 48,562
If a movie has Dolby Atmos or Digital, Dolby Headphone and SBX will do the proper virtual virtual s on headphones.
So DVDs will almost all work, and some Blu-Rays will, though I think most Blu-Rays are encoded in DTS.
PS3 had a way to bitstream Dolby even with a DTS encoded movie, but ps4 doesn't.
Basically, ANYTHING Dolby through ps4 will do proper Dolby Headphone or SBX.

I found it easier to to use Cyberlinks PowerDVD for all my Blu-ray disks, works great for DVD movies too.

Mar 17, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #42,169 of 48,562
Does some one watching movies and series with virtual surround? (Dolby headphones or SBX)
Or it's just good fit only with games?
Because today I am watching movie on ps4+Tritton 720(Dolby headphones) on my desktop speakers connected to Tritton and when I turn on surround sound its come too different from original sound.
Does anyone using virtual surround sound in movies? An does anyone using it on speakers, or this VSS only for headphones? Thanks
2.0 speakers or 5.1 speakers or other?
Assuming it's 2.0 speakers.
How do you have the Tritton connected to the speaker exactly?
If you put the speakers on your shoulders so they are working like headphones speakers, does the sound improve?
I'm fairly sure surround sound processed for headphones is different from how surround sound would be processed for 2.0 speakers.

Mar 17, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #42,170 of 48,562
Is the amp in the X7 good enough for the AKG 712s? How is it for music?
Do you already own the Creative Labs X7?
Do you already own the AKG K712?

Mar 18, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #42,174 of 48,562
On a totally different note: Damn The Division 2 has some nice HRTF/Binaural feel to it's audio. My teammates' gunshots feeling a bit "thin" is my only complaint.

I keep checking in the room to see if my son or cats are doing some mischief, when it's just some random crap falling over ingame during a gunfight.

Mar 18, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #42,176 of 48,562
I use the HD800S and I never found that to be the case. The imaging is there, it just makes the flaws more apparent. If there are flaws. I think they are excellent with SBX. Maybe it's my amp? (Black Label). Although I don't know why the amp would really make a difference with the imaging quality.
m.bacc6666

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #42,177 of 48,562
What are you supposed to set SBX surround to? I've seen some say 100% for the HD800S that I use

I say 100% because the difference between say 66% and 100% in terms of reverb isn't noticeable, but 100% pushes the positions further away from your ears, making it easier to tell which directions are coming from. Unlike GSX and Dolby Headphone where going to 100%/Max noticeably degrades the sound quality compared to a more moderate setting.

Mar 18, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #42,178 of 48,562
I use the HD800S and I never found that to be the case. The imaging is there, it just makes the flaws more apparent. If there are flaws. I think they are excellent with SBX. Maybe it's my amp? (Black Label). Although I don't know why the amp would really make a difference with the imaging quality.
An amp can make a considerable difference in soundstage size. I loved the original Schgiit Vali for it's velvety yet sharp sound, but it made the left/right extremes seem closer to my ears than whatever solid state amp I had compared it to at the time (may have been the Magni).

Mar 18, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #42,179 of 48,562
I agree. Staging is absolutely a thing with amps. Width, heigh/tallness, depth, black background/cleanliness, how good it handles the drivers (power, attack, decay ettc). They all add up.

Mar 18, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #42,180 of 48,562
On a totally different note: Damn The Division 2 has some nice HRTF/Binaural feel to it's audio. My teammates' gunshots feeling a bit "thin" is my only complaint.

I keep checking in the room to see if my son or cats are doing some mischief, when it's just some random crap falling over ingame during a gunfight.
So The Division 2 does it's own HRTF? If so do you just need to select the "Headphone" profile in the audio settings and make sure any additional hardware or software VSS one might have is disabled?

I've been playing it with the "Home Cinema" profile and Atmos for Headphones and it's good, but not great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back