1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!

First

Back
82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91
93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102
Next

Last
  1. Broquen
  2. Slater
    Stranded or solid core?

Usually patch cables are stranded, and bulk cable for runs are solid core. But I’ve seen it both ways.

Also gotta watch out, and make sure you get pure copper conductors. A lot of it is copper plated aluminum. Best thing to do is get older wiring because it’s always copper, or at least if it’s newer you can strip some and hit it with a blow torch - the aluminum junk melts instantly and the copper just glows red hot.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Broquen likes this.
  3. SpeakerBox
    I have found CAT 5E stranded to work the best. Huge increase in detail.

Slater likes this.
  4. bk123
    blue dot is negative. you can verify it using a multi-meter though.

5. Jstew622
    LaughMoreDaily likes this.
  6. SilverEars
    Thanks, that's the connection I found to sound correct, with the blue dot side pin with the negative terminal.

It's odd because I recall custom cables I had in the past has red dots.

When it's out of phase the sound doesn't seem to have much impact and has a hollowness to it.

7. hakuzen
    i used to recommend 053 copper (brown) due to its great conductivity and price. but after ab listening, i can't recommend it anymore. found some noticeable sound degradation. i'm afraid quality of material conductor and jack is not very good.

in most of these cables blue dot marks negative/ground signals. for most 2pins iems, like KZs, negative/ground has to face forward. so you are probably doing it ok.
    however, someone reported blue dot marking positive in his cable, so if you have got a multimeter around, it's a good idea to check it.

same wire, different plugs, like cables 130, 131, 132 of my list. i got better conductivity (better plugs) with 130 (nicehck version), but the others aren't bad, specially if price is half than 130

Slater likes this.
  8. SilverEars
    So, I bought this Yinyoo 6-core Copper 2-pin 2.5mm balanced cable from Amazon, and I had issue with left channel going out. So, I contacted Yinyoo support and got a replacement cable. The replacement cable has been working fine with no problems. Very prompt shipping from Yinyoo customer service after contact. I'm happy with their service.

71yDx-Z30KL._SX466_.jpg

9. candlejack
    FYI, this brand is banned here (apparently) so don't be surprised if your posts disappear.

10. SilverEars
    I had no idea. I wonder what happend?

Anybody out there measure resistance of the cables? How do you go about it? I don't believe typical multi-meters are precise enough for such low resistance.

11. hakuzen
  12. SilverEars
    hakuzen likes this.
  13. hakuzen
    you can find it at the end of same post:
    measurement and calculation methods:
    measurement of DC resistance of cables part 1 and part 2
    calculation of resistance of a cable, given conductor material, structure, and length

edit: link to my list is located at the 1st page of the thread, thanks to thread's op

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  14. moee79
    Oh noes... Anything you could recommend for lower budget? I noticed most of them are $70+... Or is the 053 silver any better?

15. hakuzen
    sorry, didn't add 053 silver to the listening round up, so don't know if sound is better than 053 brown (copper). it could be, wire is different. anyway, differences are minimal.
    wait, i'm checking microphonics of 165 for @candlejack right now, together with some listening ab.. i'm going to add 053 silver to the round up

candlejack likes this.
First

Back
82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91
93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102
Next

Last