Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
May 7, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #1,366 of 9,185
May 7, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #1,367 of 9,185
I have made speaker cable from CAT 5/6 with great success. I suspect it would translate to HP cables equally as well.

Stranded or solid core?

Usually patch cables are stranded, and bulk cable for runs are solid core. But I’ve seen it both ways.

Also gotta watch out, and make sure you get pure copper conductors. A lot of it is copper plated aluminum. Best thing to do is get older wiring because it’s always copper, or at least if it’s newer you can strip some and hit it with a blow torch - the aluminum junk melts instantly and the copper just glows red hot.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #1,368 of 9,185
Stranded or solid core?

Usually patch cables are stranded, and bulk cable for runs are solid core. But I’ve seen it both ways.

Also gotta watch out, and make sure you get pure copper conductors. A lot of it is copper plated aluminum. Best thing to do is get older wiring because it’s always copper, or at least if it’s newer you can strip some and hit it with a blow torch - the aluminum junk melts instantly and the copper just glows red hot.

I have found CAT 5E stranded to work the best. Huge increase in detail.

May 7, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #1,369 of 9,185
Question for those familiar with **** 2-pin cables. Should the pin on the blue dot side be connected to the negative - wire? I'm a bit confused becauses the pin on the blue dot side was marked with red paint.

Or was it that the dots on the cable end usually faced toward your rear? Because with this cable, the dot facing forward sounds right to my ears.

blue dot is negative. you can verify it using a multi-meter though.

May 7, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #1,371 of 9,185
blue dot is negative. you can verify it using a multi-meter though.
Thanks, that's the connection I found to sound correct, with the blue dot side pin with the negative terminal.

It's odd because I recall custom cables I had in the past has red dots.

When it's out of phase the sound doesn't seem to have much impact and has a hollowness to it.

May 7, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #1,372 of 9,185
First off, thanks for all the info. It is incredible what you can learn/find here.

I'm looking to re-do my ten year old Nuforce NE7M? cable which is coming apart in various spots, but also doing an MMCX hack for the Sony MH755.

I use my UE TF10 Pro with Mokose cable from Amazon (purchased prior to finding this thread) which works and I use it when I am less active.

I believe this is 053.. Price is reasonable (under 30CAD) and ohm measurements seem decent (under 150). Is this a good pick? And brown vs silver? Brown for lower detail and silver for upper detail preservation? Will I even notice with my low end iems?
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32914622984.html?spm=a2g0n.shopcart-amp.item.32914622984&
i used to recommend 053 copper (brown) due to its great conductivity and price. but after ab listening, i can't recommend it anymore. found some noticeable sound degradation. i'm afraid quality of material conductor and jack is not very good.

Question for those familiar with **** 2-pin cables. Should the pin on the blue dot side be connected to the negative - wire? I'm a bit confused becauses the pin on the blue dot side was marked with red paint.

Or was it that the dots on the cable end usually faced toward your rear? Because with this cable, the dot facing forward sounds right to my ears.
in most of these cables blue dot marks negative/ground signals. for most 2pins iems, like KZs, negative/ground has to face forward. so you are probably doing it ok.
however, someone reported blue dot marking positive in his cable, so if you have got a multimeter around, it's a good idea to check it.

same wire, different plugs, like cables 130, 131, 132 of my list. i got better conductivity (better plugs) with 130 (nicehck version), but the others aren't bad, specially if price is half than 130

May 7, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #1,373 of 9,185
So, I bought this **** 6-core Copper 2-pin 2.5mm balanced cable from Amazon, and I had issue with left channel going out. So, I contacted **** support and got a replacement cable. The replacement cable has been working fine with no problems. Very prompt shipping from **** customer service after contact. I'm happy with their service.

71yDx-Z30KL._SX466_.jpg

May 7, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #1,374 of 9,185
So, I bought this **** 6-core Copper 2-pin 2.5mm balanced cable from Amazon, and I had issue with left channel going out. So, I contacted **** support and got a replacement cable. The replacement cable has been working fine with no problems. Very prompt shipping from **** customer service after contact. I'm happy with their service.

FYI, this brand is banned here (apparently) so don't be surprised if your posts disappear.

May 7, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #1,376 of 9,185
May 7, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #1,377 of 9,185
May 7, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #1,378 of 9,185
Nice work! This shouldn't buried in a thread some place, it should have a dedicated thread.

I assume the multi-meters you are using that has good resolution arn't cheap. What meter are you using for 1m ohm to 10m ohm ranges?
you can find it at the end of same post:
measurement and calculation methods:
measurement of DC resistance of cables part 1 and part 2
calculation of resistance of a cable, given conductor material, structure, and length

edit: link to my list is located at the 1st page of the thread, thanks to thread's op

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #1,379 of 9,185
i used to recommend 053 copper (brown) due to its great conductivity and price. but after ab listening, i can't recommend it anymore. found some noticeable sound degradation. i'm afraid quality of material conductor and jack is not very good.

Oh noes... Anything you could recommend for lower budget? I noticed most of them are $70+... Or is the 053 silver any better?

May 7, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #1,380 of 9,185
Oh noes... Anything you could recommend for lower budget? I noticed most of them are $70+... Or is the 053 silver any better?
sorry, didn't add 053 silver to the listening round up, so don't know if sound is better than 053 brown (copper). it could be, wire is different. anyway, differences are minimal.
wait, i'm checking microphonics of 165 for @candlejack right now, together with some listening ab.. i'm going to add 053 silver to the round up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back