Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones...
Oct 2, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #31 of 47
I would say to try the dt770 pro 80 ohms.  They are extremely comfortable to me for extended wear.  Can easily find them for 100 sometimes less used.  Could use this money to buy a small portable cmoy, if you wanted to further amplify them.  Compared to what I have listened to, albeit not many different cans, these have an enourmous amt of bass.  These are the cans that I have friends try when they come over just to see their jaws drop.  I am not sure about the senns.  I have the hd650s, which from my understanding have a lot of bass even in comparison to other senns listed, however these do not come close to the quantity of bass put out with the dt770s.  Quality of bass is a different issue, imo.

I think that the dt770s are a great set of cans to start off with and at least for me got me excited to try out other pairs of hp's. 

Oct 3, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #32 of 47
Quote:
Actually Luke,

A surround home cinema amp/receiver can often times be an amazing headphone amp.  Using an spdif/optical or coaxial out from my computer to my stereo works great for amping my Beyer DT990 Pros.  I actually find that my Yamaha receiver is the best amp pairing I've heard with my DT990 Pros 250ohm.  So don't eliminate that as a potential power source for a higher ohm rated pair of headphones.  Considering all the facts, it maybe worthwhile to forego a dedicated headphone amp for now and try the headphones through your surround sound receiver.  This also affords you the time to get familiar with your headphones to better search out a good amp/dac pairing if you so feel compelled.

If you don't want/can't plug your computer to your receiver, you can also wirelessly stream the music as long as you have a DLNA player connected to your receiver (like a Sony PS3, Sony SMP-N100, or a Logitech Squeezebox) through a Wi-Fi home network.  I personally own both the Ps3 and the SMP-N100 and they both work great.

Sorry if this further complicates your purchase decision.  And trust me, there are no silly questions.

Awesome thats great to know, mine is also a Yamaha Reciever and is currently connected to the computer via optical.
Im glad you told me that save my-self some cash on an amp for the time being. Now back to looking at cans.......

Quote:

While the sound is great for the M50, comfort could be a factor for movies. Even if you loosen up the clamping, heat+pleather+closed back can be uncomfortable, too.

I heard they are a tight fit can, is that what you mean when you say that they are uncomfy?

Quote:

+1
Love mine, too 
biggrin.gif

They are a nice set of earphones, how do they compare to the Sennheisers etc?

Quote:
I would say to try the dt770 pro 80 ohms.  They are extremely comfortable to me for extended wear.  Can easily find them for 100 sometimes less used.  Could use this money to buy a small portable cmoy, if you wanted to further amplify them.  Compared to what I have listened to, albeit not many different cans, these have an enourmous amt of bass.  These are the cans that I have friends try when they come over just to see their jaws drop.  I am not sure about the senns.  I have the hd650s, which from my understanding have a lot of bass even in comparison to other senns listed, however these do not come close to the quantity of bass put out with the dt770s.  Quality of bass is a different issue, imo.

I think that the dt770s are a great set of cans to start off with and at least for me got me excited to try out other pairs of hp's. 

What's the difference between the 80ohm and the 250ohm version? And im sort of hoping ill be happy with the one pair for a while, next on the list is a few new graphics cards :) 

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Awesome thats great to know, mine is also a Yamaha Reciever and is currently connected to the computer via optical.
Im glad you told me that save my-self some cash on an amp for the time being. Now back to looking at cans.......

I heard they are a tight fit can, is that what you mean when you say that they are uncomfy?

They are a nice set of earphones, how do they compare to the Sennheisers etc?

What's the difference between the 80ohm and the 250ohm version? And im sort of hoping ill be happy with the one pair for a while, next on the list is a few new graphics cards :) 

Here's a very useful thread to learn about the basics of impedance.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/607282/headphone-amp-impedance-matching-basics-you-need-to-know

Oct 5, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #34 of 47
I have a Creative X-Fi Fatality Ti Pro soundcard (I believe it's a step below your HD) and I have a 250 Ohm Beyer DT880. I game on my Yamaha 5.1 through an optical cable from the sound card to my receiver. But for music I plug the Beyers directly into the headphone jack on the sound card and it's fantastic. The card is plenty powerful enough to power my 250 Ohm DT880. And quite frankly, I've found it to be the best source I have. May want to consider the DT880 as well.

Oct 5, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #35 of 47
Depending on your gaming preferences DT770 pro 80 if u dont mind some extra bass drowning out the finest details, otherwise the 598/558.
The 598 is worth the money over the 558 IMO

Oct 5, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #36 of 47
Quote:
I have a Creative X-Fi Fatality Ti Pro soundcard (I believe it's a step below your HD) and I have a 250 Ohm Beyer DT880. I game on my Yamaha 5.1 through an optical cable from the sound card to my receiver. But for music I plug the Beyers directly into the headphone jack on the sound card and it's fantastic. The card is plenty powerful enough to power my 250 Ohm DT880. And quite frankly, I've found it to be the best source I have. May want to consider the DT880 as well.

First im glad people have started commenting again, as im still undecided on what to go for :frowning2: maybe closed back would be a little better for me. I actually had a look at them they are open back cans aren't they? And I agree the sound from the creative range of sound cards is fantastic.

Quote:
Depending on your gaming preferences DT770 pro 80 if u dont mind some extra bass drowning out the finest details, otherwise the 598/558.
The 598 is worth the money over the 558 IMO

I read about the tape mod to make the 558's nearly identical to the 598's but I also read that the 558's lack when it comes down to bass? Thanks again for all the help so far guys.

Oct 6, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #38 of 47
You probably wont need an amp with the 80ohm dt880 or the hd 5x8's, though it would help a little bit (more control of the bass on the 5x8's, cant talk for the 880 with an amp). The 598's have a slightly wider soundstage than the 558's, greater treble refinement and a little more bass impact/detail. The tape mod gives the 558's the treble refinement and the majority of the bass of the 598, so your missing out on the soundstage and a little detail in the bass department. I would say that if you can get the 598's for almost the same price (eg. within $20 or $30, depending on your preferences), then they'd be the ones to get. If you dont like the colour, or the 598's are a decent amount more expensive than the 558's where you can buy them, then the 558's are definitely sufficient with the tape mod in achieving 95% of the sound of the 598's. 
i haven't directly compared the dt 880's with the 5x8's, so someone else will have to do provide this insight. 

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #39 of 47
Quote:
You probably wont need an amp with the 80ohm dt880 or the hd 5x8's, though it would help a little bit (more control of the bass on the 5x8's, cant talk for the 880 with an amp). The 598's have a slightly wider soundstage than the 558's, greater treble refinement and a little more bass impact/detail. The tape mod gives the 558's the treble refinement and the majority of the bass of the 598, so your missing out on the soundstage and a little detail in the bass department. I would say that if you can get the 598's for almost the same price (eg. within $20 or $30, depending on your preferences), then they'd be the ones to get. If you dont like the colour, or the 598's are a decent amount more expensive than the 558's where you can buy them, then the 558's are definitely sufficient with the tape mod in achieving 95% of the sound of the 598's. 
i haven't directly compared the dt 880's with the 5x8's, so someone else will have to do provide this insight. 

Im looking for a closed back design now I think, as Ive heard that the 558's leak alot and let alot of sound in.. how do the dt770's sound? As an all rounder? 

Oct 7, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #41 of 47
Im looking for a closed back design now I think, as Ive heard that the 558's leak alot and let alot of sound in.. how do the dt770's sound? As an all rounder? 

Don't even consider the 5x8's then :p they leak a lot of sound. Not to sure about the 770, haven't heard them, but the thread twinqy mentioned has some great comparisons.

Oct 7, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Thanks for the link :)

Don't even consider the 5x8's then :p they leak a lot of sound. Not to sure about the 770, haven't heard them, but the thread twinqy mentioned has some great comparisons.

Any other closed back headphones I should be looking at? :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Oct 8, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #44 of 47
Quote:
Thanks for the link
smily_headphones1.gif

Any other closed back headphones I should be looking at?
smily_headphones1.gif

Probably the D2000s or the FA-003/HM5/etc if you're looking for closed cans. Upside is that both of these are extremely comfortable.

Had a look at all of them, what closed headphone is a decent all rounder? For music and gaming?

Im pretty much lost on what to be looking at here :frowning2:

Oct 8, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #45 of 47
Quote:
Had a look at all of them, what closed headphone is a decent all rounder? For music and gaming?
Im pretty much lost on what to be looking at here
frown.gif

Denon D2000 :) Very good build quality, extremely comfortable, very low impedance suitable for using them even without an amp or for portable sources, very very good bass and clear sound. They are decent all rounders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back