Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones...
Oct 2, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #16 of 47
Quote:
I just bought myself a pair of DT770 pro 250 ohms, I think they're wonderful. 
They're pretty versatile all around, I use them for gaming, music, and movies. I'm also an avid listener of dubstep and I have to say the 770s do a really nice job, they're not really heavy on the bass, but they're just on the point that they give a nice bang, but you can still hear the mids and the highs. 

I have to say I'm not very much knowledgeable on the technological terms of music, so I won't be able to give you any advice in that respect, but these were the first higher price grade cans I purchased (a week ago) and they've blown me away. I've chosen for the 250 ohm version, because they sound really good without an amp (imo) and they'll sound even better with an amp, when I finally get my money together for one, so the best of both worlds.

I don't know if Malveaux is going to post in this thread, but I've PMed him about my choice of cans, and he's the one that made me buy the DT770s and I must say I'm not regretting it.

They're within your price range, I think, I bought em off of Amazon for £126, but I see they're now £115 :frowning2:

Some other headphones I've considered were the DT990s, but they're open cans, so they'll leak sound like crazy, unlike the 770s, who are closed.
And the Brainwavz HM5 (from Amazon) (or from mp4nation, they come with a stand, and you have the option to select an amp). I haven't heard these myself, but I heard they're a real bang for your buck, thought a bit less bassy than the DT770s, more neutral, but then again, don't take my word for it, I haven't listened to them myself, this is just based on what I read.

Also, since you mentioned gaming, the mic I'll be getting to use with my DT770s is the Modmic, it's currently without a mute function, but they said that by the end of October they should be ready to start distributing the modmic with a mute function. I don't have it yet, but I'll be getting it for sure when the muteable version gets released.

Well.. That's my knowledge so far.

Good luck!

Quote:
I just bought myself a pair of DT770 pro 250 ohms, I think they're wonderful. 
They're pretty versatile all around, I use them for gaming, music, and movies. I'm also an avid listener of dubstep and I have to say the 770s do a really nice job, they're not really heavy on the bass, but they're just on the point that they give a nice bang, but you can still hear the mids and the highs. 

I have to say I'm not very much knowledgeable on the technological terms of music, so I won't be able to give you any advice in that respect, but these were the first higher price grade cans I purchased (a week ago) and they've blown me away. I've chosen for the 250 ohm version, because they sound really good without an amp (imo) and they'll sound even better with an amp, when I finally get my money together for one, so the best of both worlds.

I don't know if Malveaux is going to post in this thread, but I've PMed him about my choice of cans, and he's the one that made me buy the DT770s and I must say I'm not regretting it.

They're within your price range, I think, I bought em off of Amazon for £126, but I see they're now £115 :frowning2:

Some other headphones I've considered were the DT990s, but they're open cans, so they'll leak sound like crazy, unlike the 770s, who are closed.
And the Brainwavz HM5 (from Amazon) (or from mp4nation, they come with a stand, and you have the option to select an amp). I haven't heard these myself, but I heard they're a real bang for your buck, thought a bit less bassy than the DT770s, more neutral, but then again, don't take my word for it, I haven't listened to them myself, this is just based on what I read.

Also, since you mentioned gaming, the mic I'll be getting to use with my DT770s is the Modmic, it's currently without a mute function, but they said that by the end of October they should be ready to start distributing the modmic with a mute function. I don't have it yet, but I'll be getting it for sure when the muteable version gets released.

Well.. That's my knowledge so far.

Good luck!

They look awesome stuck between them and the Sennheiser HD558's ATM, Im also trying to find out if an amp in necessary when using the sound card in my pc? And that modmic is awesome I really love the idea of it, I already have a Blue Snowball though id love to see how they compare sound wise. Thank you, Luke.

Oct 2, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #17 of 47
Quote:
Also the HP100 should run fine from your sound card, saves a bit of money. DT770 are great, tested the 80ohm version, but I still think the HP100 are better sound wise, better balance but still great bass, and they are just as comfy. The case really is nice too

The soundmagics are £160 though, £170 on Amazon. 
Also, I'd say the Beyers also run great from your soundcard, if you were to get an amp, it'd only be needed for portable use I guess.

Then again, these are all OUR opinions, so one thing I'd recommend before buying anything is listening to the ones you think you like so far, so you can make a better decision.

Also, I missed the part where you said isolation is not an issue, if that's the case I'd recommend you really check out the Beyer DT990s. Also check out this thread by Mad Lust Envy: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-9-29-2012-he-400-edited

It's for console gamers, but I'd say the headphones he selected will sound just as good on a pc with a semi decent soundcard.

Oct 2, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

They look awesome stuck between them and the Sennheiser HD558's ATM, Im also trying to find out if an amp in necessary when using the sound card in my pc? And that modmic is awesome I really love the idea of it, I already have a Blue Snowball though id love to see how they compare sound wise. Thank you, Luke.

I don't know how the Snowball compares to it, and I guess if you were to go for the dt770s it doesn't really matter, since it hardly leaks any sound, if any. But I just like the modmic, since it has a really decent low price, and I like having my mic on the side of my headphones, I tried looking at mics like the snowballs and the logitech mics, but as I said, I prefer having my mic on my headphones, and while I now have good cans, I can now sorta build it into a headset, which is the best of both worlds, imo. 

The problem with most of those mics is that they catch all the tiny little sound around them, say you have a mechanical keyboard, you won't be able to go in Skype without disturbing everyone, because the desk mic will pick up everything.

If you're using a soundcard you don't need an amp, since the soundcard does that already (that's the gist of what I get of what I read though). Plus as you said you'd be gaming with it, a soundcard is able to emulate surround sound, which is very nice while you're playing shooters, it'll give you an edge over the others.

Oct 2, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #19 of 47
Quote:
Also, I'd say the Beyers also run great from your soundcard, if you were to get an amp, it'd only be needed for portable use I guess.

Then again, these are all OUR opinions, so one thing I'd recommend before buying anything is listening to the ones you think you like so far, so you can make a better decision.

Also, I missed the part where you said isolation is not an issue, if that's the case I'd recommend you really check out the Beyer DT990s. Also check out this thread by Mad Lust Envy: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-9-29-2012-he-400-edited

It's for console gamers, but I'd say the headphones he selected will sound just as good on a pc with a semi decent soundcard.

Quote:
I don't know how the Snowball compares to it, and I guess if you were to go for the dt770s it doesn't really matter, since it hardly leaks any sound, if any. But I just like the modmic, since it has a really decent low price, and I like having my mic on the side of my headphones, I tried looking at mics like the snowballs and the logitech mics, but as I said, I prefer having my mic on my headphones, and while I now have good cans, I can now sorta build it into a headset, which is the best of both worlds, imo. 

The problem with most of those mics is that they catch all the tiny little sound around them, say you have a mechanical keyboard, you won't be able to go in Skype without disturbing everyone, because the desk mic will pick up everything.

If you're using a soundcard you don't need an amp, since the soundcard does that already (that's the gist of what I get of what I read though). Plus as you said you'd be gaming with it, a soundcard is able to emulate surround sound, which is very nice while you're playing shooters, it'll give you an edge over the others.

Quote:

Ok ill be sure to check them out, Thanks.

Quote:

I dont care about sound leakage, as long as the headphones perform well. yeah I will maybe consider buying one as a second alternative, like you I will wait for the one with a mute button though :). And the best about it is I do have a mechanical keyboard...  yeah its a good sound card to imo I went for something decent. Hope I can decide what cans I want by tonight, looking forward to placing an order.

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #20 of 47
I'm always amazed when the sub $150 (American) conversations arise, no one ever mentions the Audio Technica ADH700.  Considering the op is a gamer, I would throw these at or near the top of the list in this price range.  I'm not sure how much they sell for in the UK, but they are way under your budget in the United States.

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #21 of 47
Quote:
I'm always amazed when the sub $150 (American) conversations arise, no one ever mentions the Audio Technica ADH700.  Considering the op is a gamer, I would throw these at or near the top of the list in this price range.  I'm not sure how much they sell for in the UK, but they are way under your budget in the United States.

If you read the beginning of the thread, you'll see he wants an all-rounder, and that he listens to dubstep. Recommending him a bass light phone like the AD700s wouldn't be the best idea.

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #22 of 47
Quote:
If you read the beginning of the thread, you'll see he wants an all-rounder, and that he listens to dubstep. Recommending him a bass light phone like the AD700s wouldn't be the best idea.

I read the whole thread.  He never said he was a basshead.  He said he listens to everything and is currently into dubstep and that he will use the headphones for computer to game.  That doesn't read like he wants a dubstep-centric pair of headphones.

Anyhow, it was more a general observation.  Anytime I see a $100ish price point and read computer gamer, I think ADH700.  Yet, I rarely see it recommended on head-fi.  I see the same headphones all the time irrespective of the original posters intended use.

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #23 of 47
Quote:
I read the whole thread.  He never said he was a basshead.  He said he listens to everything and is currently into dubstep and that he will use the headphones for computer to game.  That doesn't read like he wants a dubstep-centric pair of headphones.

Anyhow, it was more a general observation.  Anytime I see a $100ish price point and read computer gamer, I think ADH700.  Yet, I rarely see it recommended on head-fi.  I see the same headphones all the time irrespective of the original posters intended use.

You don't have to be a basshead to know that the AD700s are pretty anemic for some genres. If he is gaming competitively, or wants complete immersion within the game, the ATs ares great. Don't see why any of the other headphones recommended by others wouldn't do as well, or better with gaming, music, etc. Now the AD900x, there's a good phone. 
biggrin.gif
 Rounds out the 700s performance, IMO.

Oct 2, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #24 of 47
Ok guys Im thinking about the Sennheiser Hd558's or the Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO - what kind of a headphone amp should I use with my Soundblaster Titanium HD X-Fi sound card?

I also have a surround sound home cinema amp I use for my 5.1, I take it thats a completely different thing? 

Sorry for the silly questions, better of to ask someone who knows what they are talking about though.

Thanks guys, Luke.

Oct 2, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #25 of 47
Quote:
Ok guys Im thinking about the Sennheiser Hd558's or the Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO - what kind of a headphone amp should I use with my Soundblaster Titanium HD X-Fi sound card?

I also have a surround sound home cinema amp I use for my 5.1, I take it thats a completely different thing? 

Sorry for the silly questions, better of to ask someone who knows what they are talking about though.

Thanks guys, Luke.

The sound card should be enough those cans. A FiiO amp (E9, E17) or a JDSLabs O2 should be cheap enough if you want to start venturing into that kind of stuff, but totally not necessary.

Oct 2, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #26 of 47
Quote:
The sound card should be enough those cans. A FiiO amp (E9, E17) or a JDSLabs O2 should be cheap enough if you want to start venturing into that kind of stuff, but totally not necessary.

So what you reckon the Sennheisers HD558, Beyerdynamics DT770 PRO 250 ohm or the Audio-Technica ATH M50's? 
Thank you, Luke.

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Oct 2, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #27 of 47
Probably wouldn't be able to choose between either of them. I haven't heard the M50s, but I think somebody had stated before in this thread that they didn't have an ideal soundstage for gaming. The other two will come down to purely preference.

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #28 of 47
Quote:

Thanks guys, Luke.

Actually Luke,

A surround home cinema amp/receiver can often times be an amazing headphone amp.  Using an spdif/optical or coaxial out from my computer to my stereo works great for amping my Beyer DT990 Pros.  I actually find that my Yamaha receiver is the best amp pairing I've heard with my DT990 Pros 250ohm.  So don't eliminate that as a potential power source for a higher ohm rated pair of headphones.  Considering all the facts, it maybe worthwhile to forego a dedicated headphone amp for now and try the headphones through your surround sound receiver.  This also affords you the time to get familiar with your headphones to better search out a good amp/dac pairing if you so feel compelled.

If you don't want/can't plug your computer to your receiver, you can also wirelessly stream the music as long as you have a DLNA player connected to your receiver (like a Sony PS3, Sony SMP-N100, or a Logitech Squeezebox) through a Wi-Fi home network.  I personally own both the Ps3 and the SMP-N100 and they both work great.

Sorry if this further complicates your purchase decision.  And trust me, there are no silly questions.

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #29 of 47
Quote:

So what you reckon the Sennheisers HD558, Beyerdynamics DT770 PRO 250 ohm or the Audio-Technica ATH M50's? 
Thank you, Luke.

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

While the sound is great for the M50, comfort could be a factor for movies. Even if you loosen up the clamping, heat+pleather+closed back can be uncomfortable, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back