[kiteki review] - Hifiman RE0 / RE252 / RE272 versus other IEM's (post #153)
Aug 9, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #47 of 155
Quote:
I'll calmly disagree and say that this hobby is not subjective.

How is it not subjective?

But back on topic, I think we have a misunderstanding here. Can a soft and rounded sound also be raw? I think it can. I assume by raw you mean dry, forward and energetic. In this case, yes you are right - I also think RE252 is dry, forward and energetic. I think it carries a lot of energy in its sound - it has a fast attack, and lean, very articulate note. It reminded me of Grados in this regard - it's a somewhat similar presentation. However, that being said, I find that RE252 smoothes out the edges of sounds quite a bit. Yes, they are energetic, but they alter the shape of sounds to make them neater and prettier IMO. The attack is fast, but does not have proper intensity. I also found the timbre on RE252 somewhat odd. It just didn't sound natural to me. It had a sort of ethereal quality to it. Too much airiness perhaps and not enough density and control.

Aug 9, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #48 of 155
Fit issues are subjective, a secret RE252 V2 is not and if such a thing exists - in context to my 16 ohm amplification difficulties and our varying opinions - I'd rather solve the puzzle than just waive it off as "subjectivity".

There are variables that will make one user hear an IEM differently than another user, but if you scour through those layers of subjectivity you will get closer to the core of objectivity.

In a much simpler statement, I think the RE252's sound great with certain kinds of music like rock and alternative, I'd like to share that excitement with other people and I believe they will hear the exact same thing, and not waste money on the J-phonic if enjoying rock and alternative is what they want to do.

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #49 of 155

Quote:

Why not? RE272 has a much better dynamic range than RE0 and RE252 and is much faster, clearer and detailed than RE1. In fact, the more I listen to RE272 the more I start to feel that it takes the sound of universal IEMs to a whole new level. I hear more detail than I did with FX700 and SM3, the sound is very coherent and balanced - more so than FX700 or SM3. Clarity is the best I've ever heard. Dynamics are better than on SM3 and post other BAs. Soundstage is really good - I find it even more spacious than that of FX700 with better depth. Bass is deeper than SM3 and about matches FX700 IMO. Timbre is at least as good as with FX700, but I think it's even better than on FX700, especially in the low frequencies, where FX700 sounds a bit muddy and sloppy vs. RE272.

RE262 is also very good. Not as detailed or super clear as RE272, but close enough with similar dynamics and soundstage. Both are quite a step up from RE0 and RE252 in richness and sense of space.

Well, I find RE252 clinical compared to RE0, RE262 and RE272. Although I don't really like the coloration of RE262 much either. I really like the coloration of RE0 though, which sounds warm and pleasant to me especially with stuff like smooth jazz. RE272 is the one that is truly neutral IMO. It sounds a lot more realistic than RE252 as well as the other Hifiman IEMs.

Clinical?  lol
Now you've got me interested in 272. 
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
Interesting..... I have NO idea what you're talking about.

1. little bass impact, you have got to be kidding me, bass impact is one thing that's not subjective, it should be the same for all users, no one will call the Ultrasone PRO 900 "bass light" for instance.

2. Colouration, what type of colour? There was one guy on head-fi that bought the RE252 for editing movies and he was impressed with the neutrality and lack of colour.

RE252's impact is certainly an improvement over RE0, though both are lacking, in my opinion.
Well, I am not one to give a hoot for bass impact anyway as most of my headphones don't have much of it, lol.
I have to disagree on RE252's "neutrality" - it sports a warm haze to its sound, might be what put off Pianist, or part of it.  I am indifferent to it.  I think 252 is the most fun between it and RE0 and ZERO.

Quote:
Calm down please. I borrowed RE252 before for a couple of days from a friend to try out. As we all know, this hobby is extremely subjective and I don't see anything wrong with my opinion being very different from yours on the same headphone. There are just so many factors that affect how we perceive sound. I found RE252 rounded and soft yes. I also found them a bit splashy and peaky in the upper frequencies. That's my opinion, that's how I heard the RE252. You hear them differently and that's fine. But there is really no need to get all worked up about this. You no there is no right or wrong in this hobby.

Both of you should stop it.  =\
Agree to disagree.

Also, kiteki, issues powering 252?  That thing is so sensitive, it hisses easily with the wrong gear.  Perhaps yours is flawed?  Or your laptop's HP out is or your ears are a little funky.  By the way, have you tried UE buds on your Hifimans?

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #50 of 155
How could mine be flawed?

Sorry I'll be more succinct, I don't have issues amping it, I'm just surprised I'm listening to stuff on max volume when it's only 16 ohm? It seems pretty hard to drive for only 16 ohm, I'll do volume comparisons against the RE0 later, but they seem very close in volume amplification needs.

UPDATE:  Sorry to anyone that got excited about the RE0 vs J-phonic thing, but the J-phonic just took a quantum leap ahead in the bass department.

Here's what happened, I was testing synergy with my Sony gumstick, which is famous for it's off the charts bass boost, that makes everything sound horrible when you turn on the bass boost, if you look at an FR graph of the sony gumstick bass boost it really is off the charts unlike any other DAP it's silly.

So I was testing synergy with the J-phonic and the weak (10mW+10mW) Sony gumstick was driving it very nicely and they sounded good together, then I turned on one of my trance tracks that I use for testing which features some deep sub-bass, then I flicked on the bass boost at a lower volume expecting the J-phonic to distort and sound horrible like the ck10 and pretty much everything will.

To my surprise it sounded fine and the bass was resonating with huge decay, overshadowing the mids but the DECAY what the hell, then I upped the volume and it was still keeping up with the bass boost! I can't believe it can keep up with this insane bass boost I'll post an FR graph later.

Aug 10, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #52 of 155
Update: Slight sensory overload

Too many new sounds, just too much new stuff and new sounds all over the place all at once I can't keep up, one moment something sounds good, and then something else poisons it.

I spent 7 months with the ck10 and several months with the EX700, I've spent less than a week with all this new stuff, I'm listening to the RE0, the J-phonic, and a $600 headphone all at once, along with the ER-4PT (except I'm packing it up and shipping it away tomorrow morning), the RE252, and I have the Radius DDM2 on loan for 1 week which I haven't even listened to yet.

I thought I was getting somewhere with the J-phonic, then it rears it's basshead like a sleeping lion waking up, showing me what balanced armatures can do, and most likely sound like in the high-end customs.

I thought I was getting somewhere with the RE252, then something arrived from China today, something trifle, scant and overlooked, which in essence turned out to be a key to a secret door in the garden, not one that you invest time and money into, one that you just find in the attic under a pile of boxes, and then you fall down the rabbit hole.

-shrug- I have quite a fair amount of free time, I'll get on top of it all soon.

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #53 of 155

Quote:

Also, kiteki, issues powering 252?  That thing is so sensitive, it hisses easily with the wrong gear.  Perhaps yours is flawed?  Or your laptop's HP out is or your ears are a little funky.  By the way, have you tried UE buds on your Hifimans?

I just got my ears cleaned out with hydrogen peroxide so they are better than ever and also have tested them and I have 100% perfect hearing in volume and across the frequency range, they were a little funky a week ago when too much hardened wax seemed to cause sibilance. I listen at higher volumes and go to clubs sometimes but that hasn't done anything to my hearing, not yet anyway Lol.

No I haven't tried UE buds, where do I get them from?

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #54 of 155
You said heated discussion in the other thread, but all I see is you viscerally attacking others opinions while linking Youtube videos for comparison, which are completely sub-par in audio quality no matter what video resolution. Not only that but do you realize you're spamming your own thread? For every post from someone else there's 2 by you, in a row. Learn to use the edit button or the multi quote button.

I mean, 6 of the 8 posts on this page are by you.

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #58 of 155
Man you're just a bad poster. You're the most defensive poster I think I've ever seen. There's no discussion with you, you're just bitter at the world. With that said I'm leaving this thread, you can have it back to post to yourself.

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #59 of 155
How about

1. You are bitter at Hifiman, for having to pay $2.50 in postage and waiting 48 hours in response to an email, (then I PM'd you and asked why you're trying to derail an entire company based on that, and you said chinese bla bla)

2. Danchou is bitter at me because I'm not the same girl as the one in my picture, (at least he took a chance huh? :wink:)

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #60 of 155
Please step back and take a few breaths, resorting to personal attacks will take this thread nowhere fast. Keep in mind that this is a forum, so stick to criticizing the post contents instead of the authors, and accept criticism to your own posts. Anyway, I'm interested in more of your impressions, so keep it up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back