[kiteki review] - Hifiman RE0 / RE252 / RE272 versus other IEM's (post #153)
Aug 4, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #16 of 155
Hi guys,

I have a small cold and the Etyrapic blocked my right ear (first ear block in 12 years, right when I have the largest Hi-Fi influx in my life and lots of free time, super!!), so I won't be undertaking the review again right away, and I have lots of listening to do when I'm back to normal.

When you get your ear cleaned out, it will no doubt sound louder than the other ear for a while, until you adjust. You might not want to do too much critical listening until things are back to normal.

My vote would the the K2 SP versus the CK10 from your memory, for purely selfish reasons. :)

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #17 of 155
Well that one is easy, K2 SP has better bass, both are very flat, probably very similiar FR, K2 SP is more polite sounding, K2 SP is more suitable for stage use, CK10 is more suitable for music listening use.  Can't compare imaging and stuff like that yet.  Well I don't have the CK10 so I can't compare them directly at all, but the above is correct I think, CK10 has a bit more character, K2 SP is like a doctor, but not syringe of 1's and 0's like that ER-4 ... sound.

K2 SP is higher quality sound than CK10 overall I think, but it's like there's a "ceiling" on all the notes, so instead of rawness, they come rise to the surface and then suddenly stop.

Both IEM's are very very fast, wasn't expecting that speed in the K2 SP, it could be the tiny treble driver that's accouting for it (there's a large driver, and a tiny one, approx 1/3 the size of the larger one).

Lucky I got the skeleton shell so I can see all this, intersting the K2 SP has no filter whatsoever, just drivers, housing, and air!

CK10 titanium nozzle and filter adds more character to the sound.

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #19 of 155

Quote:
I'll try your suggestion... Time to hunt some sony hybrid tips... because I also want to use it with my other IEM...
any suggestion where should I buy it?

Btw, I noticed when I use the little black-box-like balanced plug for my RE-ZERO, the bass quantity/presence is increased a bit if compared when using the cable type balanced plug... Nice..! It always good to know you have options to choose..

amazon $8 free shipping with orders over $25.  Some Best Buy locations have them in stock for $8 - $9

Aug 7, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #21 of 155
Went to the doctor and they poured hydrochloric acid in my ear or something like that, all fixed now! My ears are clinically clean now, clear as a bell.

Quote:
Hi guys,

I have a small cold and the Etyrapic blocked my right ear (first ear block in 12 years, right when I have the largest Hi-Fi influx in my life and lots of free time, super!!)

Aug 7, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #23 of 155
Quote:
I just started listening to RE252......

First impressions.... "oh you have got to be kidding me!"

Now you need to try RE272.

Aug 7, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #24 of 155
Too expensive, EX600 is next.

If they came with the HM-601 for $299 I'd highly consider it, but I can't imagine a distinct improvement over the RE252.

Btw, the RE252 and EX600 sound quite similiar, it's the only IEM I've heard that sounds similiar to the EX600, they would be great rivals, and they have equally snazzy looks and tricky fit.

I had much lower expectations of RE0 and RE252 (which does not sound like an RE0 driver in a mutant gummy bear shell at all Lol)

Aug 7, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #25 of 155
I think the RE252 to RE262 is a bigger step than RE0 to RE252. The RE262 is very different though and can be more of an acquired taste. 

Aug 7, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #26 of 155
My understanding is RE0 and RE252 is Hifiman sound Y, RE262 and RE272 are Hifiman sound Z, and that the RE262 sound different like you're saying but are in a different class of sound.

The same can be said for J-phonic, it's not really comparable to RE0 in it's sound signature but I'll do it anyway for kicks.

Aug 7, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #27 of 155
IMO RE0 and RE252 lack dynamic range. I personally prefer RE0 over RE252 because RE0 has a warmer, more pleasant tone, while RE252 sounds too clinical too me. I also thought the soundstage on RE252 was weird with great width, but little depth. RE0 has a more realistic soundstage IMO.

RE262 and 272 have much better dynamics than the previous RE series IEMs. I didn't like RE262 though because it lacks treble detail and presence to my ears. RE272 is a completely different beast though and is significantly more technically capable than the RE262 while maintaining all of the RE262 strengths, except for less musical mids at least to my ears. Compared to RE252 and older IEMs in the series, the RE272 is a real step up technically, but for music enjoyment I still consider RE0 the best of the series. I haven't heard RE-ZERO though.

Aug 7, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #28 of 155
I agree, both the 252s and RE0s lack dynamic range, but the Zeros are surprisingly pretty solid in this aspect. Nice to hear the RE272 has that huge dynamic breath of the RE262s, it's too bad it isn't as textured fwir. 

Aug 7, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #29 of 155
Quote:
My understanding is RE0 and RE252 is Hifiman sound Y, RE262 and RE272 are Hifiman sound Z, and that the RE262 sound different like you're saying but are in a different class of sound.

The same can be said for J-phonic, it's not really comparable to RE0 in it's sound signature but I'll do it anyway for kicks.

I think RE0 is the most unique sounding out of the Hifiman IEMs that I heard (all of them, except the RE-ZERO). RE252, RE262 and RE272 share many more similarities, especially RE262 and RE272. The three also share more in common with RE2 and RE1 than RE0 IMO. RE262 is closest to RE1, while RE272 shares more with RE252 and RE2. RE0 shares little with the other IEMs in the series, except maybe the RE-ZERO which I haven't heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back